Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Top 10 List of Pests that you might find in your Yard or Garden.: GOPHERS

Communities > Forums > Article: Top 10 List of Pests that you might find in your Yard or Garden.
bookmark
Forum: Article: Top 10 List of Pests that you might find in your Yard or Garden.Replies: 2, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kikki
MilkyWay, MA

April 30, 2008
7:21 PM

Post #4888016

How do I get rid of gophers in my garden? They aet everything last year. I had to buy new plants, they still ate them, from veggies to flowers, they even came up on my porch to eat my sweet potato vines, coleus,etc. It was a nightmare. I cried. I spotted the family of three making their rounds over the weekend. My nightmare has started. Any help would be appreciated.

a weeping gardener

Kikki
wagneramy
Santa Cruz, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2008
4:36 PM

Post #4909647

I put any plants of value in gopher baskets. You can buy them or make them out of gopher wire. My nursery sells it by the roll. I also use the McAbee gopher trap. It helps if you can find the tunnel and set a trap going both directions. I've tried rubbing onion and peanut butter. Not sure if that works. I never touch the trap with my bare hands, always using gloves. Good luck.
Ralph77
San Marcos, CA

April 15, 2009
2:17 PM

Post #6413326

We have them bad here in Southern CA. also...there are a few solutions that I use..I have had some success with thinning the herd with the smoker grenades that you stick down their holes..however I use those in the middle of my yard away from my garden on their tunnels...also use the poison peanuts that you bury underground for them..but if you are a bit squemish about killing them I finally started burying hardware cloth under my garden and blocking them..you can buy it in 50 foot by 4 foot wide rolls and it seems to work very well...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Top 10 List of Pests that you might find in your Yard or Garden. Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Beetles DianeEG 2 May 26, 2008 9:10 PM
Squash Bugs eskarp 0 May 5, 2008 4:51 PM
I've seen all of them catwatcher 0 May 5, 2008 4:53 PM
Soapy water for aphids gbarthutk 2 Aug 27, 2009 1:15 AM
mosquitos kathyew 0 May 12, 2008 12:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America