May 2008 FORUM

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I just leave here soon in Oak Grove and go to CR, Iowa...

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Travel safely!

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Well May is here and I am happy becuase school is almost out. I was up till 930 last night tilling the soil and planting my rose bushes. My arms and body is wore out.

Granite City, IL(Zone 6a)

I think I have poison ivy :(
I have three raised itchy dots on one finger (right above my wedding ring) and a single dot on my neck so far. I have no clue where/how I got it, either. I haven't spotted any growing around our house this year, but I have had to clear some out in past years. It's driving me nuts and now I can't hold my newborn nephew (I won't even go see him with this.) Luckily I did get to see him the day he was born (Tuesday.)

On a brighter note; I just ordered a Wedgwood Blue lilac (I spotted one locally in STL and HAD to have one, the bloom color is so unique), dwarf echinacea 'After Midnight' and dwarf monarda 'Petite Wonder' for the front yard flower beds. Since we extended the beds I have some spaces to fill in :) I can't wait for them to arrive.

Nicole

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Ooooh, you will love the lilac! Ours are just opening and the smell is luscious! I'm going to have to find out how to dry some for sachet.

I almost stopped at the house where I saw the lilac to ask for cuttings, but chickened out. I drive past it every day to and from work, it's fairly near the street and sometimes I can just barely smell it. It's HUGE and absolutely gorgeous, just full of blooms! I like lilacs anyway, but the blue color is breathtaking!

(Obviously I am partial to pink, purple and blue flowers, though!)

Nicole

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I final stop in CR, Iowa and get room an 45 min. ago....

It darn windy keep push me while I driving and I m safety now....

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

EvaMae, I get to shop tomorrow at the staff sale. I probably won't make it on Saturday but I answered you d-mail about Sunday. :~)

Rusty, glad you made it safely. :~)

Nicole, don't scratch those and they will go away sooner. Of course that's easier said than done. lol

Thanks, pepper! I read earlier online that poison ivy blisters (or the resulting liquid when scratched) are not contagious, even when broken. By the time the blisters are formed, the contagious sap is gone/already bonded to the skin. That's not what I was led to believe all of my life, but I'll take it! :) Gross and fascinating little tidbit I learned today. I work in a tech-support call center for a major brokerage firm, so I get paid to surf the internet (and read DG all day) in between phone calls :)

So now I can see my nephew, but I'll wait a day or so, just to make sure. It's not gardening related, so forgive me, but I am estactic about my new nephew! And Spring was already my favorite time of year!

Thumbnail by loves_lavender

He's cute!!

Tornados in the area. Kansas and northern MO are getting hit. Hope everyone in the path is in basments or cellars.

Holden, MO(Zone 5b)

He's a little doll loves_lavender,

Just put on some gloves and hold him all day : ). I got a few patches of posion ivy while out morel hunting , My sister uses straight vinegar on her posion ivy that she gets bad, burns but heals it pretty fast. I just let mine go , scratch once in awhile then its gone.

Be mindful of the storms here in MO w/ tornados : (

Glad to hear Anna/ Rusty made it safe and sound.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Hi Nicole,
I've had my share of poison ivy too. My co-worker gets it from her dogs. They run through it outdoors & rub against her & she breaks out. Your nephew is darling. Give him another year & he'll be into everything. Maybe he'll be your lil' gardening buddy. The huge lilac that I park by each day @ my gr-d's daycare has tempted me many times to help myself to some blooms. My lilac (just planted last spring) has one small bloom this year. Maybe next year, I'll have more.

Hi all, I hope that everyone is safe & sound & without much power interruption, if any. I hope to plant some of veggies this weekend. Happy gardening! : )

I am tired but no damage here. I was up late worrying about a couple coworkers cause they live in the areas where the tornados were hitting.

We had to set up for our plant sale today. That didn't go as planned though because the tent got tore up big time by the wind when getting set up so now all the plants are sitting on the ground. Alot harder to see everything but it's the only option right now with the wind. No shade and no protection of any kind. Oh well. Can't be helped.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Pepper, I'm glad that you are ok. Sorry to hear about the tent & all. I put up my 2 tomato trellises this morning in the strong wind. See link to pic of last year's veggie garden.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=3934952

The soil temp is only 55F, so I'm holding off on planting anything until the ground warms a bit more. Last weekend, the temp was 50F. Seems to be averaging about 5F per week. Soil thermometer was a worthwhile investment.

The 3 azaleas and 8 rosebushes that I planted last weekend are doing well. All that rain surely helped.

Take care and God bless. : )

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Wow! It's nice to see your gardens growing good...

Humansville, MO

hi all
we miss the bad weather
i glad i was working
it sure is bad durning storm
the bush fram is doing better
now to get back on 2-10
love elle

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Well, Bad New...

I couldn't attend to CRIARU today cause of toooooo cold! Also, Rusty got not feel well for 2 days...

I leave here tomorrow early AM...

Also, I couldn't go to Rapid City, SD which is snowing and cold for a week so I go next month June when it warming...

I having a bad lucky today...

Rusty, sorry you couldn't attend the RU. I'm sure you were missed.

Today I took my grandma to Farmehier's Greenhouse in Wellington. It's not a big operation really but it is nicely set up. It is family owned and run and you can tell in the way the interact. The son who runs it was telling his mom she missed watering a section of plants even though she just watered. lol. Plants were probably root bound. They are also getting ready to open a winery this summer. That will bring in more people.

Oh and if you go looking for them be prepared to go into the boonies. They are several miles off the highway and then you have to go up a steep driveway. But the view from there is breathtaking.

We also went to PG and checked out the plant sale. I got a Mona Lisa oriental lily and grandma got a Red Hot Poker. We had EvaMae set them aside for us. I picked on our perennial gardener there too which was loads of fun. He couldn't believe my grandma would admit that we're related. LOL. I love being onery sometimes. I told him he was only an average gardener. That got a good laugh out of our Hort director, Alan.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I final got home at 1/2 hour ago and Rusty did jump and down zoom to his yard! Rusty just feel better now! Phew! It's really scared of me that he don't like in Cedar Rapid, IA... which it very eerie windy bother him and scared him too....

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Wow! It been nice day today at least 87* and I just remove the 2 hay bales out of front porch and put back yard that where raining pour down like river flood... It will be raining tomorrow...

So, I left Cedar Rapid, IA on May 3 and I keep droving and took nice sunset down!

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Rusty, we were worried about you... It's good to know that you're home safe and sound.

EvaMae and I went and saw Dave and Elle on Sunday. Had a great visit and enjoyed playing with the goats and dogs and checking out the rabbits. We walked away with 17 big bags of black gold. EvaMae took 9 and I took 8. Gave 2 to my grandma to help out in her yard. :~)

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Ticker,

As I did post thread scroll up where I had be told...

I just got tick bit me between fingers and felt it pretty hurt so I was lucky for tick again ( I hate it) so tick bit and stay least after 4 hrs you will get sick so I m okay at least it not after 4 hrs! So, tick have white dot on it that is very toxic...So, as this morning, it got swollen up little bit and pour some wound first then itch stuff too! Very darn itch ( I don't scratch it but it real bad!) I will be okay for that it nothing got me sick yet...

Rusty is happy be home (werid dog)..

Pepper, What is black gold?

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Got iris bloom today color blondes flowers....

Thumbnail by JuJu55

Black gold aka rabbit compost. :~)

Nice irises. :~)

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Oh!, That's must be good for gardeners... I had heard about bat guno (poop) so it very excellent for gardener, too...

It's very good for gardens. Especially if you have nasty soil in places like I do.

Humansville, MO

well i got all the seed planted and every thing elese in the green house done
will send picture went it stop raining
elle

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Well my hosta are going great guns and I do not know if you would call it a bloom but this is a hosta called St. Elmos Fire. It comes out this color and will turn green with white boarders about the begining of june depending on the light and heat I subject it to.

Thumbnail by ozarkian

Here is another one that is still a baby. In the photo the real color is a bit subduded. It comes out a orangeish yellow then turns to darker centers later in the year. It about glows is is so bright. It is called Orange Marmelade. Will be very pretty when is reaches its mature size of about 20 in by 48 inches. Since it is a fast grower it should be getting there in about 3-4 yrs.

Thumbnail by ozarkian

And last but not least the crappie are doing pretty well ( but they have not started to spawn and it is spotty) in Lake of the Ozarks this year. I have the freeze pretty well full and cught these 2 larger ones last evening. Both are 15 inches long.

Thumbnail by ozarkian
Holden, MO(Zone 5b)

WTG ozarkian, those are some beauties.

Sis and I went fishin in a little flat bottom boat on Moms pond Monday and caught a whole bunch of large Bluegill. We freeze them in water and they taste like fresh caught. yum. We were hopin the Bass whould hit but just the Bluegill. We'll get them next time

We plan on a fish fry with fried taters & onions, cornbread, and dandelion greens , topped off with strawberry shortcake from strawberries from the garden if I can beat the box turtle from geting them.

We just dug up earthworms for our bait, they strike fast and put up a good fight, and steal the bait too!!!!!

Happy fishin ^_^

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

You two are makin me hungry Linda that sounds like one fine meal

Holden, MO(Zone 5b)

almost as good as beans and fried taters and corn bread , LOL

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Now THOSE are some fishes! Your hostas are lovely. Someday when I have shade, I'll get those. Orange Marmalade is particularly enchanting.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

It's got me addiction to Hosta! lol....

It raining here...

Holden, MO(Zone 5b)

we are getting soft rain here , this is the kind of rain I like ^_^

Humansville, MO

rain rain here
elle

It's Oz's fault that I bought dwarf hostas to use as a border last year. All but 2 or 3 came back. Not a bad amount since down the road I can divide the others and place them where the dead ones are. The ones I got are Island Charm.

www.davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2953/

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I know that most of you know exactly what you plant and where but how would you recommend a newbie to keep track of things?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.