AuthorContent

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2008
12:43 PM

Post #4891116

I just leave here soon in Oak Grove and go to CR, Iowa...

TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

May 1, 2008
12:51 PM

Post #4891146

Travel safely!
allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2008
2:08 PM

Post #4891518

Well May is here and I am happy becuase school is almost out. I was up till 930 last night tilling the soil and planting my rose bushes. My arms and body is wore out.
loves_lavender
Granite City, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2008
6:14 PM

Post #4892500

I think I have poison ivy :(
I have three raised itchy dots on one finger (right above my wedding ring) and a single dot on my neck so far. I have no clue where/how I got it, either. I haven't spotted any growing around our house this year, but I have had to clear some out in past years. It's driving me nuts and now I can't hold my newborn nephew (I won't even go see him with this.) Luckily I did get to see him the day he was born (Tuesday.)

On a brighter note; I just ordered a Wedgwood Blue lilac (I spotted one locally in STL and HAD to have one, the bloom color is so unique), dwarf echinacea 'After Midnight' and dwarf monarda 'Petite Wonder' for the front yard flower beds. Since we extended the beds I have some spaces to fill in :) I can't wait for them to arrive.

Nicole
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2008
6:32 PM

Post #4892550

Ooooh, you will love the lilac! Ours are just opening and the smell is luscious! I'm going to have to find out how to dry some for sachet.
loves_lavender
Granite City, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2008
6:41 PM

Post #4892589

I almost stopped at the house where I saw the lilac to ask for cuttings, but chickened out. I drive past it every day to and from work, it's fairly near the street and sometimes I can just barely smell it. It's HUGE and absolutely gorgeous, just full of blooms! I like lilacs anyway, but the blue color is breathtaking!

(Obviously I am partial to pink, purple and blue flowers, though!)

Nicole

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2008
8:46 PM

Post #4893017

I final stop in CR, Iowa and get room an 45 min. ago...

It darn windy keep push me while I driving and I m safety now...

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2008
11:45 PM

Post #4893688

EvaMae, I get to shop tomorrow at the staff sale. I probably won't make it on Saturday but I answered you d-mail about Sunday. :~)

Rusty, glad you made it safely. :~)

Nicole, don't scratch those and they will go away sooner. Of course that's easier said than done. lol
loves_lavender
Granite City, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2008
12:24 AM

Post #4893870

Thanks, pepper! I read earlier online that poison ivy blisters (or the resulting liquid when scratched) are not contagious, even when broken. By the time the blisters are formed, the contagious sap is gone/already bonded to the skin. That's not what I was led to believe all of my life, but I'll take it! :) Gross and fascinating little tidbit I learned today. I work in a tech-support call center for a major brokerage firm, so I get paid to surf the internet (and read DG all day) in between phone calls :)

So now I can see my nephew, but I'll wait a day or so, just to make sure. It's not gardening related, so forgive me, but I am estactic about my new nephew! And Spring was already my favorite time of year!

Thumbnail by loves_lavender
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2008
12:29 AM

Post #4893898

He's cute!!

Tornados in the area. Kansas and northern MO are getting hit. Hope everyone in the path is in basments or cellars.
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2008
12:38 AM

Post #4893938

He's a little doll loves_lavender,

Just put on some gloves and hold him all day : ). I got a few patches of posion ivy while out morel hunting , My sister uses straight vinegar on her posion ivy that she gets bad, burns but heals it pretty fast. I just let mine go , scratch once in awhile then its gone.

Be mindful of the storms here in MO w/ tornados : (

Glad to hear Anna/ Rusty made it safe and sound.

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2008
11:06 PM

Post #4898286

Hi Nicole,
I've had my share of poison ivy too. My co-worker gets it from her dogs. They run through it outdoors & rub against her & she breaks out. Your nephew is darling. Give him another year & he'll be into everything. Maybe he'll be your lil' gardening buddy. The huge lilac that I park by each day @ my gr-d's daycare has tempted me many times to help myself to some blooms. My lilac (just planted last spring) has one small bloom this year. Maybe next year, I'll have more.

Hi all, I hope that everyone is safe & sound & without much power interruption, if any. I hope to plant some of veggies this weekend. Happy gardening! : )

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2008
12:40 AM

Post #4898687

I am tired but no damage here. I was up late worrying about a couple coworkers cause they live in the areas where the tornados were hitting.

We had to set up for our plant sale today. That didn't go as planned though because the tent got tore up big time by the wind when getting set up so now all the plants are sitting on the ground. Alot harder to see everything but it's the only option right now with the wind. No shade and no protection of any kind. Oh well. Can't be helped.

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2008
2:28 PM

Post #4900737

Pepper, I'm glad that you are ok. Sorry to hear about the tent & all. I put up my 2 tomato trellises this morning in the strong wind. See link to pic of last year's veggie garden.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=3934952

The soil temp is only 55F, so I'm holding off on planting anything until the ground warms a bit more. Last weekend, the temp was 50F. Seems to be averaging about 5F per week. Soil thermometer was a worthwhile investment.

The 3 azaleas and 8 rosebushes that I planted last weekend are doing well. All that rain surely helped.

Take care and God bless. : )

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2008
2:40 PM

Post #4900774

Wow! It's nice to see your gardens growing good...

ellesgh
Humansville, MO

May 3, 2008
3:27 PM

Post #4900938

hi all
we miss the bad weather
i glad i was working
it sure is bad durning storm
the bush fram is doing better
now to get back on 2-10
love elle

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2008
6:21 PM

Post #4901598

Well, Bad New...

I couldn't attend to CRIARU today cause of toooooo cold! Also, Rusty got not feel well for 2 days...

I leave here tomorrow early AM...

Also, I couldn't go to Rapid City, SD which is snowing and cold for a week so I go next month June when it warming...

I having a bad lucky today...

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2008
11:10 PM

Post #4902496

Rusty, sorry you couldn't attend the RU. I'm sure you were missed.

Today I took my grandma to Farmehier's Greenhouse in Wellington. It's not a big operation really but it is nicely set up. It is family owned and run and you can tell in the way the interact. The son who runs it was telling his mom she missed watering a section of plants even though she just watered. lol. Plants were probably root bound. They are also getting ready to open a winery this summer. That will bring in more people.

Oh and if you go looking for them be prepared to go into the boonies. They are several miles off the highway and then you have to go up a steep driveway. But the view from there is breathtaking.

We also went to PG and checked out the plant sale. I got a Mona Lisa oriental lily and grandma got a Red Hot Poker. We had EvaMae set them aside for us. I picked on our perennial gardener there too which was loads of fun. He couldn't believe my grandma would admit that we're related. LOL. I love being onery sometimes. I told him he was only an average gardener. That got a good laugh out of our Hort director, Alan.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2008
7:48 AM

Post #4903868

I final got home at 1/2 hour ago and Rusty did jump and down zoom to his yard! Rusty just feel better now! Phew! It's really scared of me that he don't like in Cedar Rapid, IA... which it very eerie windy bother him and scared him too...

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2008
3:20 AM

Post #4912605

Wow! It been nice day today at least 87* and I just remove the 2 hay bales out of front porch and put back yard that where raining pour down like river flood... It will be raining tomorrow...

So, I left Cedar Rapid, IA on May 3 and I keep droving and took nice sunset down!

Thumbnail by JuJu55

Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2008
3:22 AM

Post #4912617

Rusty, we were worried about you... It's good to know that you're home safe and sound.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2008
11:03 AM

Post #4913244

EvaMae and I went and saw Dave and Elle on Sunday. Had a great visit and enjoyed playing with the goats and dogs and checking out the rabbits. We walked away with 17 big bags of black gold. EvaMae took 9 and I took 8. Gave 2 to my grandma to help out in her yard. :~)

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2008
2:40 PM

Post #4913956

Ticker,

As I did post thread scroll up where I had be told...

I just got tick bit me between fingers and felt it pretty hurt so I was lucky for tick again ( I hate it) so tick bit and stay least after 4 hrs you will get sick so I m okay at least it not after 4 hrs! So, tick have white dot on it that is very toxic...So, as this morning, it got swollen up little bit and pour some wound first then itch stuff too! Very darn itch ( I don't scratch it but it real bad!) I will be okay for that it nothing got me sick yet...

Rusty is happy be home (werid dog)..

Pepper, What is black gold?

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2008
9:03 PM

Post #4915521

Got iris bloom today color blondes flowers...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2008
12:11 AM

Post #4916330

Black gold aka rabbit compost. :~)

Nice irises. :~)

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2008
12:15 AM

Post #4916344

Oh!, That's must be good for gardeners... I had heard about bat guno (poop) so it very excellent for gardener, too...

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2008
12:28 AM

Post #4916416

It's very good for gardens. Especially if you have nasty soil in places like I do.
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

May 7, 2008
2:39 PM

Post #4918869

well i got all the seed planted and every thing elese in the green house done
will send picture went it stop raining
elle
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2008
6:10 PM

Post #4919826

Well my hosta are going great guns and I do not know if you would call it a bloom but this is a hosta called St. Elmos Fire. It comes out this color and will turn green with white boarders about the begining of june depending on the light and heat I subject it to.

Thumbnail by ozarkian

ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2008
6:15 PM

Post #4919846

Here is another one that is still a baby. In the photo the real color is a bit subduded. It comes out a orangeish yellow then turns to darker centers later in the year. It about glows is is so bright. It is called Orange Marmelade. Will be very pretty when is reaches its mature size of about 20 in by 48 inches. Since it is a fast grower it should be getting there in about 3-4 yrs.

Thumbnail by ozarkian

ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2008
6:19 PM

Post #4919865

And last but not least the crappie are doing pretty well ( but they have not started to spawn and it is spotty) in Lake of the Ozarks this year. I have the freeze pretty well full and cught these 2 larger ones last evening. Both are 15 inches long.

Thumbnail by ozarkian

Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2008
6:35 PM

Post #4919945

WTG ozarkian, those are some beauties.

Sis and I went fishin in a little flat bottom boat on Moms pond Monday and caught a whole bunch of large Bluegill. We freeze them in water and they taste like fresh caught. yum. We were hopin the Bass whould hit but just the Bluegill. We'll get them next time

We plan on a fish fry with fried taters & onions, cornbread, and dandelion greens , topped off with strawberry shortcake from strawberries from the garden if I can beat the box turtle from geting them.

We just dug up earthworms for our bait, they strike fast and put up a good fight, and steal the bait too!!!!!

Happy fishin ^_^
dave719
Humansville, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2008
6:46 PM

Post #4919992

You two are makin me hungry Linda that sounds like one fine meal
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2008
6:52 PM

Post #4920022

almost as good as beans and fried taters and corn bread , LOL
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2008
7:12 PM

Post #4920093

Now THOSE are some fishes! Your hostas are lovely. Someday when I have shade, I'll get those. Orange Marmalade is particularly enchanting.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2008
7:30 PM

Post #4920175

It's got me addiction to Hosta! lol...

It raining here...

Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2008
7:39 PM

Post #4920214

we are getting soft rain here , this is the kind of rain I like ^_^
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

May 7, 2008
8:10 PM

Post #4920342

rain rain here
elle
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2008
10:55 PM

Post #4921098

It's Oz's fault that I bought dwarf hostas to use as a border last year. All but 2 or 3 came back. Not a bad amount since down the road I can divide the others and place them where the dead ones are. The ones I got are Island Charm.

www.davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2953/
allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2008
1:13 AM

Post #4921675

I know that most of you know exactly what you plant and where but how would you recommend a newbie to keep track of things?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2008
1:19 AM

Post #4921705

Get a notebook and write them down.

Ex: Mock orange- north side of house one on each end.
Tall Phlox: Bed on the right side of the front yard looking from the house. Back against the fence. Annuals in front of those.

Something along those lines. Simple and easy to figure out. You can add pics for each section if you want to or do a basic drawing of the bed or section that you are writing about to help you.
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2008
1:35 AM

Post #4921771

How about a short quiz game. In that picture there are two species of crappie. What are they and which is witch in the picture.???? Answer tomorrow evening.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2008
1:39 AM

Post #4921793

To me crappie is crappie. lol

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2008
1:46 AM

Post #4921819

It's white crappie...
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2008
2:19 AM

Post #4922068

We are rebuilding our garden album so I will be posting some photos. Waiting now for the peonies to bust into bloom we have 4 plants I think. They are not for from our bedroom window either. If weather permits I like to ope n the window at night. Go to sleep and wake up with the fragrance from them.

Rusty----- You want to avoid hosta addiction. I have about 100 different types they can be a lot of work but easy to grow. It can also be expensive and a lot of Hosta resmeble each other but true hosta nuts (I am not one) will have to have every named and registared species they can. Very expensive. And really a bit foolish. I was about hooked into it for awhile.

Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2008
2:43 AM

Post #4922190

ozarkian looks like you got a black and white crappie. The black one has black blotches while the white crappie has black stripes. Black crappie have more dorsal spines then the white ones .
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2008
2:46 AM

Post #4922206

Forgot to ask, do you make fish tea for your plants ?
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2008
1:00 PM

Post #4923251

Linda---- You got it right. One in my right hand is a white and the one in my left hand is a black. Blacks are heavier bodied than white and of the two I prefer catching black crappie.
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2008
1:18 PM

Post #4923321

I do have to confess ozarkian I had to check, (walkabout hangs her head down )

I did see tho , that they were different and seen those stripes on one and the blotches on the other and notice that bigger dorsal fin , so I did know they were a different.

You made me look and study and learn something, thats the good thing.

Now I can fish all day and catch bass and bluegill , but I have always had a hard time catching crappie, they are fast buggers. And would think they would put up a good fight too. When I do catch one I'll know which one I have on the line and puttin in the fryin pan too ^_^

On my question about fish tea, do you use on your plants? I made some a couple of years ago and just about lost my lunch , PEEEUUUU
but it sure is good on the plants.

BTW, do you morel mushroom hunt and / or heard of any great finds in the Ozark area ?

ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2008
1:21 AM

Post #4926311

Never heard of fish tea. Those plants are part of my hosta collection. There is no way I would make anything of any part of them they are purely for display. I have not b een out looking even as much as I like them. My legs have been bothering me and I have two horsedhoe leagues to play in plus a tournament this Saturday and I am trying real hard to conserve.
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 9, 2008
3:18 AM

Post #4927047

Best to you OZ on your horseshoe tournament, great game.

Fish tea, after you clean your fish you put all the guts and stuff in a gunny sack or the like and sit in bucket of water for a couple of days, and just use the fishy water. Whahoooo does it sink but it is so good for your plants.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2008
3:42 AM

Post #4927152

Some people actually put the guts in a blender with water and grind it all up into a stinky slush. They thin it down to water plants.
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 9, 2008
4:10 AM

Post #4927271

yikes, a fish slushy. Its one power punch, LOL
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2008
10:44 AM

Post #4927666

I use commercial fish emulsion. I am not going to make it.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 9, 2008
1:50 PM

Post #4928205

I took this pic this morning and it either label mistake "Color Tart" or "Holy Night" I got this iris from last year at DrDon's RU in Southern California...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 9, 2008
1:53 PM

Post #4928224

Another iris pale blue

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 9, 2008
3:45 PM

Post #4928746

I just reading magazine of "Horticulture" and sure I check it out on website and sure it very werid birdhouses...

http://www.douglasfeypottery.com/index.htm

Don't buy this very expensive...Just look at ceramic birdhouses shapes...

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2008
1:18 AM

Post #4934532

Hope everyone down south in the line of storms is ok. I heard there was a tornado on the ground at one point.

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2008
2:41 PM

Post #4936308

Ok here. Just heading to higher ground!

Thumbnail by greenbrain

ellesgh
Humansville, MO

May 11, 2008
3:13 PM

Post #4936417

we are ok here
happy mother day too all

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2008
7:03 PM

Post #4937350

Here's a link to the entire statue of Lewis & Clark with dog in a canoe.

http://www.lewisandclarktravel.com/index.php/site/lewis_clark_statue_underwater_near_st_louis_arch/
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

May 12, 2008
2:22 PM

Post #4940431

here a mother day plant
elle

Thumbnail by ellesgh

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 12, 2008
11:44 PM

Post #4942516

I plants 2 more to ground which is hosta 'Sagae' back of the hosta (3 front)...

I have 4 more hostas to plant in containers...Also another Colorada Blue Spruce tree, too!

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 12, 2008
11:51 PM

Post #4942546

4 more hostas

left:Blue Angel
2 left: Green Gold
2 right: Night before Christmas
right: Mistress Mabel

Thumbnail by JuJu55

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2008
1:03 AM

Post #4942894

Cute plant Elle!!

Rusty, I'm glad you said Blue Angel and not Blue Mouse Ears cause I would have to sneak it away from you if it had been the mouse one. LOL

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 13, 2008
1:12 AM

Post #4942934

Oh! So, notice about hosta's leaf shape different...

If I do get Blue Mouse's Ear to plant it and it missing then I know who-who! lol...

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2008
1:17 AM

Post #4942966

You betcha!! And you can blame another DG member for me wanting one. LOL. Not oz either. lol

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 13, 2008
1:38 AM

Post #4943088

Well, I find out about the plants stealer as I remember this catalog like this:

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Ghosts/f2003.html

LOL... I'm not get Blue Mouse's Ear Hosta! lol...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2008
1:57 AM

Post #4943202

LOL

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 13, 2008
4:32 PM

Post #4945545

I have 5 iris blooms came out today...

Also full blooms of 'Knock Out Double' Rose red

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 13, 2008
4:33 PM

Post #4945552

Beautiful Iris yellow

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 13, 2008
4:34 PM

Post #4945555

Iris yellow with white

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 13, 2008
4:37 PM

Post #4945567

Kind purple and gold

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 13, 2008
4:42 PM

Post #4945595

Light purple with dark purple iris

Thumbnail by JuJu55

Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 13, 2008
5:05 PM

Post #4945693

Those are beautiful Iris's Rusty, I got one bloomin today too, but nothing like yours , wow
dave719
Humansville, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2008
5:39 PM

Post #4945817

Rusty ,If you keep posting those iris Pepper may not be the only plant thief you have in your garden lol beautiful plants

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

May 13, 2008
10:07 PM

Post #4946804

You do have some lovely irises Rusty.

My irises are also in bloom (not as fancy), but it's too rainy/windy to take any photos. Maybe tomorrow.

Hey Linda, my dog chewed up my vernal witch hazel that I just planted last summer. I've got it inside in a pot trying to recouperate. Just in case it doesn't make it, I have another one on order, but it's the common witch hazel; not vernal. Did you ever get one?

Betty
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 13, 2008
10:16 PM

Post #4946852

Hi Betty, no I never did get a witch hazel. Need to get one tho.

Say your garden last year is WOW, WOW, WOW , OMGOSH those leaves are huge.

Ok its not on this thread but somewhere I seen your garden and you standing in it. Man oh man, nice garden : )
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2008
12:39 AM

Post #4947498

I have one one iris that should open here in a day or two and others will quickly follow. The first one looks like Jesse's Song. I hope it is cause I got it from Doc Henderson at work and it would be one of the first ones from him to bloom.

www.davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/35396/
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2008
1:05 AM

Post #4947580

Rusty ----- You have your Hosta planted pretty close. If they like your soil and grow well they will croud out each other. It might be best I suppose to wait and see how they do. But Sagae is a strong Hosta and it is not small. Here is a picture of one of my Sagae that is about 6 yrs old. It was taken just a few minutes ago and the piece of metal laying on the ground in front is a yard stick. Remember this is early spring and it will get larger and higher. It usually gets to be about 5 ft wide. Se be ready to move them around as they grow. You also mentioned Blue Angels. They are one of my favorites and they get even bigger than a Sagae. Sagae was hosta of the year in 2000. Blue mouse ears is the current 2008 Hosta of the year. You will not need to worry about Blue mouse ears getting big. It is rated as a Mini and most are grown in pots.

Thumbnail by ozarkian

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2008
1:08 AM

Post #4947594

Love that hosta Oz!!! Now if I only had room for one that big...
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2008
1:14 AM

Post #4947620

Pepper----- There is one that will beat that. I have a young one and it will be a few years yet before I can say for certain but the name is Northern Exposure. The margins on the leave are wider and it is heart shaped leaves. It is also rated a bit larger.
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 14, 2008
1:41 AM

Post #4947736

Oz, my goodness thats a beautiful hosta (Sagae). I love that stone wall, and the way you got them set is a good looking area.

Did you build your wall? What is that flat top stone? Did you get most of your rock in your area? Ozark's has lots of rock : )

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2008
2:15 AM

Post #4948088

Thanks Linda. It's the trombone squash run rampant that makes it look so lush.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2008
2:59 AM

Post #4948283

Great looking hosta and landscaping. Do you have a photo that shows more of your landscaping?

Rusty if you have blue mouse ears maybe Pepper and I can car pool to you house to borrow some sugar or maybe a hosta.

BTW - Who was saying they had poison ivy rash. I just got my first case in 10 years and I keep getting more spots even though I haven't been in it in two weeks. I've washed all the clothing, bedding, and finally the dog today. And I finally gave up and got something from the doctor to take care of it.

Any one else having problems with ivy this year?
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2008
11:24 AM

Post #4949116

Linda--- That is the smallest stone wall and box we have. It was there when we bought the house. The man that built this house built the one next door and the one next to that. He had to blast for the other two. that is where most of that stone came from. That is why it apears to be a bit like flag stone. It is in fact shattered. I have another stone wall planter box just accross the walk from that one about 1/3 larger. We also have one that goes accross the lake side of the house that reaches up to about 7 ft high in places. It is about 50 ft long counting the 3/4 circle it makes in one spot. The top of those walls is just cement. That does not count the 75 ft Sea Wall on the lake made from heavy creek stones and another like it accorss the back of the house 40 ft long. Plus I have a couple stack stone walls here and there. All I did was the stack stone and some tiny rough walls for the rock garden. My son would come out if he had time and build and true stone walls I would need. He is a pool contractor and builds all kinds of water features and does all kinds of stone work.

SJ----- We have to update our garden book every couple of years and we will be doing that this year. I will try to take a couple of pictures today but it is still spring and plants have not really come into there own yet. That box behind the hosta is a example. We have not gotten the Begonias in there yet. wife has not decided exactly what color she wants in there. That small tree in the box is a Red Bark Jap Maple and she tends to believe very strongly in color coordination with things like that. So we are behind a bit right now.

I just learned something about Blue Mouse Ears. I understand even though they call it a mini it will get a little larger. I do not know where you all would put any mini's but I would suggest in pots. They tend to be pretty tender for hosta and do not react well to in the ground type planting a lot of the time. We have a very good Hosta grower here in Missouri near Ash Grove by the name of Hilltop Farm. But they are not cheap.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 15, 2008
12:23 AM

Post #4952106

Thanks! Oz... For me to check it out at Hilltop Farm about hostas someday I go there...
nanajo23
Homewood, IL

May 16, 2008
7:50 PM

Post #4960852

Hi Y'all!
I just joined and am very excited about this group. We currently live 30 miles south of Chicago, and will be moving to KC as soon as the house sells. We'll be renting while we build a house, probably in Shawnee, KS. But I'm already planning the garden since I don't know what grows well there and doesn't.
Starting with trees - How would you compare Stewartia to Franklinia? Just learned about Evodia - do they really attract tons of bees, or only if you have a pollinator?
We're buying 1/2 acre and are retired, so lots of room for gardening.
Do camellia really grow there? Crape myrtle?
My biggest "loves" are peonies, including Chinese tree peonies, roses, daylilies, and if I can ever get them to grow, iris. Would love to plant a wildflower meadow.
Also, how about evergreens that grow no higher than 4' to 12'?
I have sooo many questions! I've read the area is zone 6a - I can get 6z to grow here, and we're 5b. Any and all ideas/suggestions welcome.
Dix
Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2008
9:53 PM

Post #4961414

I have a number of 'mini' hostas growing well in the garden in the St Louis area.
In fact, many of them multiply and fill in beatufilly as an interesting ground cover.
I have to protect them with a wire cage the first year or two to keep the critters at bay.
My Blue Mouse Ears have done fine, again in the yard.
I put them close to the walkway so they don't get lost.
They're doing really well. And of course, they're awfully adorable.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2008
11:07 PM

Post #4961698

Well, I am so tempted about Hostas so I did brought 2 more of hostas...

Left: Grand Tiara

Right: Abiqua Moonbeam

Back: Coleus mix

Thumbnail by JuJu55

ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2008
10:36 AM

Post #4963588

Rusty----- You be careful with those hosta urges. Some people start liking hosta and it gets like taking drugs. I have over 100 types of hosta and I am very small as far as hosta growing goes. Many hosta closely resemble each other and people get caught up in owning every plant that is new are has a different name. Also most of the catalog pictures are shot thru camera filters. Since your a camera bug I am sure you know why filters will make flowers and plants look a lot more colarful than they actually are. I really am not looking for any new hosta myself unless they are truly different or they are the hosta of the year. I also will replace some in my garden with others from time to time mostly because I want a change in appearance.

Weerobin---- I like the minis but have all mine in pots. I tend to lean towards the large hosta and giants.

This message was edited May 17, 2008 5:45 AM
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2008
2:36 PM

Post #4964235

Dix,
An early welcome to Kansas. I usually plan on a 5a for the area with anything less than that closer in to the house. Daylilies, roses, irises, and peonies do well here. Roses with cover through the winter although I have not covered the ones that are next to the house and they have done well. Hardy crape myrtle does well but I do not have one myself. There is an evergreen garden club in town. You might check into them when you get here to see what grows here. One of the members was just featured in a national gardening club magazine.

Bannister Garden Center specializes in peonies.

Here are some favorite places for gardening supplies and information:

Info:
Search the web for:
Prairie Bloom and Prairie Star. These are lists of perennials and annuals that do well in Kansas. http://www.prairiestarflowers.com/

Missouri Plants for Merit
http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/Merit.asp

Kansas Extension Office http://www.johnson.ksu.edu/DesktopDefault.aspx

Publications:
Gardening in the Heartland by Rachel Snyder
Missouri Gardener's guide by Mike Miller
Effective Landscaping, Woody Ornamentals - Kansas Landscape Plants
The Kansas City Gardener - A Monthly Guide to Successful Gardening (free at local gardening centers. Has a listing of the local garden club meetings)

Favorite places:
Powell Gardens http://www.powellgardens.org/
Overland Park Arboretum http://www.opkansas.org/_vis/arboretum/
Loose Park (near the plaza in KC) http://www.geospectra.net/kc_rose/kc_rose.htm

Garden Centers:
Family Tree Nursery http://www.familytreenursery.com/
Red Cedar Gardens http://www.redcedargardens.com/about_us.htm
Heartland Nursery http://www.heartlandnursery.com/
Suburban Lawn & Garden http://suburbanlg.com/

Garden Centers out of town:
Vinland Garden Center http://www.vinlandvalleynursery.com/
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 17, 2008
8:07 PM

Post #4965331

Love all the hostas!!! Been working like a madwoman in the gardens before the pumpkins are out for the SUMMER!!
Rewarded with an acquilegia dancing with a dianthus bud!

Thumbnail by garden6

SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2008
10:49 PM

Post #4965924

Nice looking columbine. Any idea what the name is?

Made in the Shade (http://www.hostaguy.com/) in KC has the Blue Mouse Ears hosta. They had a sale booth on the Johnson County (KS) garden tour today. I picked one up along with a Big Blue.
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 17, 2008
11:00 PM

Post #4965976

Thanks SJ! Sorry I don't have an ID for it as I received it last year in a wintersowing swap as "acquilegia"

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2008
2:49 AM

Post #4976670

I got peony blooms this morning and took this pic while ago:

Thumbnail by JuJu55

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2008
2:22 PM

Post #4978075

Those are beautiful! Mine are still buds yet. Another wonderful demonstration of your photography skills, Rusty!
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

May 20, 2008
2:26 PM

Post #4978088

no blooms here will send picture when they bloom
we got sun
every thing growing fast
even the weed lol
elle

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2008
2:44 PM

Post #4978163

Glory, Thanks! Well, I first took pic and it was black ants in petal... wow! Then I took 2 pic which it real good to see clear!

Here's ants in peony's petal:

This message was edited May 20, 2008 9:45 AM

Thumbnail by JuJu55

leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2008
12:18 AM

Post #4985590

I finally got my winter squash seeds, the rest of the basils, the nicotiana, and eggplant plants planted today. Used some of the bunny poo from elle & dave719 mixed with spent potting soil from PG in all the planting places mixed with the soil from the hole. The only veggies left to plant are swiss chard, green beans, & parsley. Maybe tomorrow. I have 2008 seeds for the chard and parsley. I'll need to check the year of the asparagus bean seeds to have some idea of their viability. Finding new ones may prove difficult. I haven't seen any of them in stores or most catalogs at all for the past 2 years. I'll just plant what I have and pray for the best. I may have saved some last year. I'm sure I can Google and find them. May have to.

I've so enjoyed seeing the pictures of everyones yard. So much beauty. I love walking thru my yarden and seeing all those iris, wild sweet rocket, wild false garlic, bright red and pink dianthus, clematis, & columbines. Peonies are growing large buds ready to open the end of this month.

I'm tired. Need to go to bed earlier tonight. GOD bless each of you.

allysgram
Sedalia, MO

May 25, 2008
4:16 PM

Post #5000985

Pepper have you heard from Eva Mae, Haven't seen her on the last couple days?
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

May 25, 2008
4:53 PM

Post #5001107

look look
elle

Thumbnail by ellesgh

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2008
12:23 AM

Post #5002747

She had been having internet problems last time I talked to her. Her internet is spotty for some reason.

Elle, love that peony!!
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

May 26, 2008
2:20 PM

Post #5004715

thank
here some more
tell her hi went she get back on
elle

Thumbnail by ellesgh

ellesgh
Humansville, MO

May 26, 2008
2:30 PM

Post #5004748

here some rose
look like something eating them
elle

Thumbnail by ellesgh

leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2008
3:18 AM

Post #5013358

I'm back!!! Provider finally sent his technician here this evening because 3 of us within a mile stretch are going to dump them when our bill comes due the first of the month. My reciever is now attached to the living room chimney to get it high enough to get the signal in spite of the trees. I have an old elm tree in the yard much taller than the chimney. lol. The poor technician just left about 15 min. ago.

I told my boss Renee' that I need to only work 3 days a week from now on. I've been doing 4 days for the past 3 weeks & I am near exhaustion. I didn't go to PG last week but will probably go tomorrow. I need to get my lunch fixed and get to bed. I'm quite tired. Spent most of the day gone going to therapy for my shoulder, getting my hair cut( I had to wait over 30 mintes for someone to cut it), and other little things. I will get to stay home on Thursday. Friday is more therapy and an appointment with the ortho specialist.

GOD bless and keep each of you.
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 28, 2008
4:25 AM

Post #5013579

Hello Everyone, I wanted to say Hi in May. I so enjoyed everyones pics. May is a busy month for me.. 2 birthdays, mothers day, my niece graduated from high school, and a family reunion this Sunday. I yearn to have more playing outside time. We've had nice rains lately and the hosta are loving it. I started the beds about 9 years ago, and add more almost every year, so the established ones are glorious and most of the new ones we planted last fall are doing great. Paridigm only has 4 or 5 leaves, but they are pretty and well marked. My wintered over plants are slowing "migrating" from under a shade tree, into my growing area.. I'm also working to get containers created with plants from my nursery visits, and I fashioned an old oval livestock tank into a water garden. Soon, I hope to have things as much in order as possible.. I will be moving alliums, iris, lirope, some grasses, daffodils and a small blue spruce tree from around my foundation... we'll be adding soil for drainage problems I'm having on 2 sides of my house. That is a task I'm not looking forward to, but it will be fun to incorporate the bulbs into other areas of the yard and I hope to salvage the spruce and replant it, it will be the last thing dug and the first thing planted. The iris needed to be moved to more sun, anyway. I will replant some of the alliums back, and I may just toss some 4-o'clock and marigold seeds on it this year and plan something more permanent for next Spring. I am going to use some of the dirt hauled in to make a mound or berm for planting.. I really needed more sun area. It will be on the edge of the "living/relaxing" area.. It will offer full sun, part sun and some shade so it should be fun to design with perennials, annuals and tropicals. Nice to stop in and see how everyone is doing. Enjoy the Season!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2008
12:33 PM

Post #5014382

Well, I going on road trip to 4 places... Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Devil Towers, and Yellowstone National Park...

garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 28, 2008
1:24 PM

Post #5014570

Hi Aunt B! Sounds like you have a lot of gardening fun planned with resolving your drainage issues.

Rusty~ That's a nice road trip! We loved touring those sites. You'll have fun and the views are breathtaking.

Here's a pic of my 2007 wintersown dianthus and my 2008 wintersown nasturtium seedings.

Thumbnail by garden6

leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2008
1:30 PM

Post #5014601

Rusty, you are one traveling person. Your vehicle must be very fuel efficient. Have a wonderful time. Is Rusty going with you or being kenneled somewhere?

I have had to practically give up PG due to fuel prices. Between therapy, doctor appointments, church, and going to work I just can't afford long unnecessary trips. I paid $3.22 a gallon for E85 yesterday. My van is fairly fuel efficient but it still costs a lot to do a lot of driving. If it weren't for the extra trips to pt & dr. appointments I probably could do it every other week. I still have at least a month left of pt. I will still refuse surgery if at all possible. I may just have to live with some limitations with that arm. I don't understand why GOD isn't manifesting the healing in this one the way HE did with the first one. HE knows tho.

I think since it is chilly outside I'll try to clean cabinet doors today. That will boost my morale considerably. When I started this project 2 months ago I was only working 6 hours on Fridays. Lots of time at home. Now I have been working 4 days a week and will continue to work 3 days a week from now on + the stuff mentioned above so time at home and energy while here are much less. There is just so much to do and so little time and energy to do it. Almost depressing sometimes. So a day spend in the house doing what needs to be done here for 2 days in a row will be very good for me. I spent my days home last week working outside and did little inside. Not that one can tell I did much with all the rain we have had. Weeds are growing like crazy. I have to get the ones with seeds on them out first. Then worry about the rest as they develop seeds if I don't get to them before then. I did weed yesterday evening while there was daylight. Found 2 mums that I thought I had lost. If I had had gloves on I would not have felt them and pulled them out as weeds. I need more marker flags for small perennial or reseeding plants in areas where the ground covers and weeds are thickest in spring. I also need to put down news papers and stuff to weight them down to keep the weeds down in the first place. I have so many spring bulbs tho that I have to be careful to not cover them up. I cost myself my snow crocus this spring because they were under cardboard laid later in the year when the foliage was gone.

Must go and get something done since I will be home. GOD bless and keep each of you.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2008
1:34 PM

Post #5014613

Garden6, did you direct sow or start indoor? I have lots of returned dianthus. Holly does too but hers are much taller. I think they have less sunlight than mine. I have some older seeds I am going to direct seed in a day or so to see what they will do. If nothing at least it is one less pkg of seeds to wonder about.
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 28, 2008
2:02 PM

Post #5014714

Hi Leaflady! I wintersowed the dianthus seeds in a cleaned, cut milk jug with 4 inches of moistened soil, replaced the top and stuck the jug outside in Jan. 2007. Then planted out the seedlings early Spring with some blooms late Spring. This year, there are more blooms, and you're right my plants are taller this year than last. They smell wonderful and the girly pumpkins love to cut them for bouquets.
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

May 28, 2008
2:35 PM

Post #5014845

hi all
here the picture leaflady
dave with the rabbit i looking out my office window
elle

Thumbnail by ellesgh

ellesgh
Humansville, MO

May 28, 2008
2:39 PM

Post #5014858

here how my flower ture out

Thumbnail by ellesgh

leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2008
4:43 PM

Post #5015492

Good photography, Elle. That peony is lovely. I'm marking some darker pinks, whites, and a possible red for you and Dave to get starts of when we get together next.
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 28, 2008
5:15 PM

Post #5015638

I love to travel, too. I really enjoy when Rusty takes a trip, cause she's so good to post pics, kinda makes me feel like I got away! Thanks Rusty. I love those dianthus, I've never winter sowed before. Is there a lot of monitoring, Garden6? I saw another DG'ers set-up, but I wonder if you have to monitor temps or something. Elle, that is a great office window to look out! All I see is I-70. EvaMae, don't work too hard inside. It's very cool today... So much to do at home and here I sit at work. I paid 3.84 on my last fill up... came to $60, I do that usually 2X a week, food prices increase from week to week. My boss has no intention of giving me a raise this year... I need to find work closer to home (impossible, such a small town) or move closer to work, which means no more quiet peaceful (established) backyard... My meager salary is about tapped out. Me and the gal that keeps books are the only ones in the company that aren't living comfortably on our salaries and everyone else has company vehicles with unlimited credit card usage for gas. Is just doesn't seem fair. I am going to have to change something, gas prices will only continue to sky rocket. 1/2 my salary goes to taxes and transportation costs. It's very depressing at this time in my life, I thought it should be easier to make ends meet, by now. (there I go, thinking again!) So I just grab my waterbottle and my visor and play in the dirt- I call it dirt therapy :)
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 28, 2008
5:50 PM

Post #5015803

AuntB~ There's very little monitoring done until Spring, basically to keep the soil moisten after the heat increases, observe for germination of the seeds and planting out the seedlings when the conditions are right. Some pot up their seedlings before planting out.,I don't,unless I'm making containers.Some plants are bettersuited for wintersowing than others, but wintersowing allows me tohave loads of flowers to plant out than if I bought loads of bedding flats. It's a great process for growing perennials, summer annuals are sown mid to late Spring for blooms later in the season. Wintersowing is very easy and economical. Last year I lost some seedlings to the late Spring freeze, but this year I covered my half hardy seedling when frost was predicted. This year about 11 of the jugs did not germinate, however 76 jugs had healthy seedlings and are happily planted out in the gardens. Another wintersown bloom...sea thrift from 2007.

Thumbnail by garden6

ellesgh
Humansville, MO

May 28, 2008
7:46 PM

Post #5016354

here we go with a enought idea chickern
egg then chick
dave farm
now all we need is a cow,duck
elle

Thumbnail by ellesgh

leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2008
8:42 PM

Post #5016563

Elle, you and Dave are going to have a blast with those baby birds. Most birds think the first thing they see is MOMMY for a few weeks at least. So be ready for some frantic cheeping when you leave them alone. I have had some that were afraid of the dark. I used a small heater to keep them warm instead of a light bulb which I think is totally unnatural. There is no light bulb under momma hen. Those chicks need some dark time to sleep well.
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

May 28, 2008
8:46 PM

Post #5016587

yep the goat follow dave the dog follow him
and i suppoes that the chickern will do the same
lol
elle
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2008
8:55 PM

Post #5016622

I got some of my roses fed with a cornmeal, bunny poo, ground egg shells, and coffee/tea grounds today. Found a volunteer squash of some kind while weeding around one of them and a poor peony that is stuggling to keep up with the grasses and weeds around it. I'll put down lots of paper & cardboard & pile whatever I can find on top of it to help control the weeds. I'll only wipe on herbicide out there. Too many plants I don't want killed to risk spraying at all. Even then I'll cover the wanted plants with cans, etc. first.

I have hundreds of a stonecrop popping up all over some of the beds and yard. I know one of the stonecrops I move last year is going to have to be moved again because it has gotten so large. That has been a shock because I've had it for years and it never got very big. But I have other sedums that are small that I want to take over there. I may have to enlarge another flower bed. lol. I have a peony and some lamb's ear that are stuggling in their bed and need some babying. I'll do that maybe tomorrow.

Now back to more weeding and digging out of deep rooted weeds. GOD bless and keep each of you.
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

May 28, 2008
9:27 PM

Post #5016739

please take ease
you will get sick if you work to much in the out door
elle
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2008
10:23 PM

Post #5016952

Thank you for your concern, Elle. Short spirts of outside work, then inside for equal or longer period. My breathing is bad today as well as the chronic fatigue of Fibro. Channel 5 showed very high grass pollen levels. Maybe that is the problem. Maybe I just need to clean my bedroom really well so it will be a safe haven for my lungs. I have several air cleaners running all over the house.

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2008
11:30 PM

Post #5017314

I know what you mean leaflady. I've been fighting a cold all month that went into a sinus infection. I'm on 2 allergy meds year round anyway. I just visited the doctor's office & I've been put on a steriod & z-pac & told to stay indoors in the AC. WAAAAH!!!! I asked if gardening was a bad idea & the answer was not the one that I was hoping for.

I hope that you feel better soon. : )
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2008
12:51 AM

Post #5017679

Been busy here. Lots of visitors at work so I am busy there, then I come home and try to figure out where to plant some more plants. lol. I have a hosta to plant still, cordylasis, and a couple heuchereas. Plus a few more annuals.

Chapungu is very popular already at work. Lots of rave reviews. I will be working lots of weekends here pretty soon. I have to help out our weekend person so she can get stuff done. It's usually 11-12 hour days. Very long and very busy.

I am still taking riding lessons. They are going great and I ride different horses at different times. It depends on if they are feeling well or if they have swelling on their legs. Lots of fun and I look forwards to it every week.

EvaMae, I have petunias here for you. Grandma is done with them and wants you to have them. :~)

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2008
1:23 AM

Post #5017826

I'm safe now in Mitchell, SD...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2008
1:28 AM

Post #5017843

Glad you made it there ok!
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2008
1:35 AM

Post #5017871

GB, I've been on Prednisone for 15 years. Staying at 10 mg. a day lately. I'm thinking about using some Claritin as well to see if that will help. Right now my chest is so tight I feel as tho I can't get a deep breath. Makes me lightheaded and dizzy feeling sometimes. Too confused to think straight even. Just go lie down for a while to let my body catch up. I have masks I may have to start wearing when I go outside. I'm vaccuming in spirts now to get rid of cat/dog hair. Putting all but 2 old cats and one older Jack/Rat terrier dog outside to give my system a change to clear out. If the house doesn't have so many irritants in it maybe I'll feel better by tomorrow. The Jack/Rat(Penny)is allergic to many plants as well as nearly all the outside insects like noseeums, ants, etc. that she seems to attract like crazy. She is on Benadryl all the time and sometimes Prednisone. FrontLine is the only flea/tick stuff that works on her very well and even then I have to use an insect repellent on her if she is to be outside very long.

Pepper, why don't you go ahead and plant the petunias. I don't really know where I would put them right now. My beds are filling up as perennials spread and expand. I need to get more beds weeded too and mulch or something put down to keep the weeds down somewhat. I have pots but don't know where I want to put them and other pots in place but don't know what I want in them just yet. Like the ones by the breezeway that have good trellises. Morning Glories, Cardinal & Cypress vines all need morning sun and they will only get afternoon sun & and evening light there. I have thought about Moon Vines but they may be too large a vine for that area. It is only 2' wide but is 8' tall. No cukes. Blight and bugs always kill them before they ever bear. I want something with flowers. I may try some MGs and see if they will do ok in reverse. I've wondered about annual sweet peas too. They are suppose to be fragrant and that would be nice to open the door to.

Must go vaccum more. GOD bless and keep each of you.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2008
1:38 AM

Post #5017880

I have perennial sweet peas and they smell great! Grow in almost full shade too.

I really have no idea where to plant the petunias. lol. I may give them to one of the guys at work to give to their girls.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2008
3:03 AM

Post #5018369

My perennials are odorless. Check the ones in the perennial gardens at PG. Unless there has been a change they came from me. And no one has ever mentioned mine being fragrant. I'd love some fragrant perennial ones. Or do yours really just reseed themselves?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2008
10:57 AM

Post #5019410

Mine just gets bigger every year because of age. I got them from Burgess I think it was several years ago. I am more than happy to take cuttings and to try and root them for you.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2008
11:22 AM

Post #5019491

Thanks. I love fragrant flowers tho I have little sense of smell so many are lost on me.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2008
12:43 AM

Post #5023083

I m safe in Spearfish, SD and took this pic in Mitchell, SD "Corn Palace"

I has to take this motel cheaper that in Keystone very costing price high...

I have drive back to Rapid City again 72 miles (cause of T-storm now)...

This message was edited May 29, 2008 8:14 PM

Thumbnail by JuJu55

AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2008
12:57 AM

Post #5023140

Thanks for the crash course, Garden6, that's a lot of jugs! I should consider it, with what I spend on flowers in spring. I love your bed pic, very elegant. Elle, I think the "convoy" of man, goat and chicken would make a great photo. How adorable. I had baby chicks about 20 years ago. They were fun, Drew was a baby and he'd move his little walker out to the back porch where I had them in a big box. We cut little flaps so he could peek in at them (nice memory)... and Leaflady, I DID wonder how those peepers slept with a light bulb on all night, but that's what my Mom told me to do. (Yep, I finally learned to listen to Mom) I hope you find some relief, my allergies have been worse lately. And Fibro is not a fun thing, my best friend from high school suffers so with it. Rusty is way up north, how's the weather up there? Really windy around here today and this evening... I'm like Pepper, run home from work and try to plant something, I potted up a couple impatiens pots tonight, Ace hardware had nice ones for $1 for a 4-pack, pretty ones with markings. Tried to pot some other stuff, but couldn't figure out what, with what or which pot, so I decided to call it a day and relax for a couple hours and then to bed.
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2008
2:25 AM

Post #5023737

You're welcome Aunt B!

Rusty~ thanks for the pic, glad you're safe from the storm.
allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2008
1:04 PM

Post #5025333

Rusty I will be in SD in a few days. I have military training up there but we will get to visit Mt. Rushmore and a few other monuments.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2008
1:09 PM

Post #5025358

Well, I gonna go to Mt. Rushmore sooner as I drive from Spearfish, SD to Keystone (72 miles) for an hour and half... Also If I have alot of time to see Crazy Horse, too... I hope to avoid the T-storm later on in the afternoon...

I will take pics and will post tonight...
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2008
1:21 PM

Post #5025412

Hi everyone, looks like we can get some rain today.

Everyone is busy in the gardens I bet.

Rusty56 have a great time on your trip and a safe one, looking forward to some cool pictures : )

AuntB I'm getting 100 Plymouth Barred Rock next week, Oh my , I have not found a big box yet either. May have to rig some smaller boxes up.

I got them for a Mothers Day gift, a surprise ^_^, flowers would have been easier , LOL but I sure love to raise chicks. On my 10th B-day, many moons ago I also got a 100 chicks. I got only three ol hens left after having a flock for many years and lots of big brown eggs, it will be nice to get fresh homestead eggs again. Alto those ol gals pop out an egg once an awhile.

The flowers have been awesome this season, heres a few on the homestead I took last week. http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-IREskSwmeqqunPcTcV_hshP7jmCxDuo-?cq=1

Be mineful of the storms and have a great weekend coming up

This message was edited May 30, 2008 7:23 AM
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2008
1:31 PM

Post #5025457

We had a nasty storm last night. I finally went to bed when the tornado warning was cancelled at 12:30 in the morning. Handsome Man went to bed at 2:30. Everything in the garden looks okay this morning. My plants enjoyed the rain and weren't too upset by the wind evidently. Hope you all are safe.
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2008
1:39 PM

Post #5025494

McGlory, I saw on the news tis mornin about the storms in your state. So glad to here you were safe and your garden didn't suffer.

This year has been a record breaker in tornados , 1000 spotted already, maybe over that.

No you have one of those storm radios? I need to get one.
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

May 30, 2008
1:52 PM

Post #5025561

here i am
the weather here is wet then hot then wet
we are hoping to put thing in the garden
have to work today
i guess i got to get going about a new job
i hape changing job
every one have a good day
elle
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2008
6:32 PM

Post #5026738

No storm radio, but we have a battery-operated regular radio which is just fine. We needed it last night with the power off for 2 1/2 hours!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2008
1:21 AM

Post #5028351

Here are some of my irises that have been blooming.

Jesse's Song-white/purple, a white one and a burgandy one.

Thumbnail by pepper23

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2008
1:25 AM

Post #5028368

Deep yellow almost orangey color.

Thumbnail by pepper23

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2008
1:29 AM

Post #5028388

Helen K. Armstrong iris

Thumbnail by pepper23

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2008
1:32 AM

Post #5028400

Some more irises.

Thumbnail by pepper23

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2008
1:34 AM

Post #5028409

Luminosity.

Thumbnail by pepper23

allysgram
Sedalia, MO

May 31, 2008
1:36 AM

Post #5028419

Pepper love those Iris. They are one of my favorites. Yours are sure beautiful.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2008
1:45 AM

Post #5028464

This is a dark two toned old fashioned iris bed but the lighting was wrong for catching the colors well. I like the shadows though.

Thumbnail by pepper23

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2008
1:46 AM

Post #5028469

I final took pic of Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse, today...

It's so much fun to see it..

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2008
1:47 AM

Post #5028481

Crazy Horse

Thumbnail by JuJu55

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2008
1:48 AM

Post #5028491

Thanks! I them all from my grandma, Doc Henderson and Hank's Irises. And I have more. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2008
1:50 AM

Post #5028508

See He point finger (face)...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2008
1:54 AM

Post #5028529

Crazy horse has come a quite aways since I was there several years ago. There's more detail on there now.

More irises. One more after this and that's it for now.

Thumbnail by pepper23

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2008
2:00 PM

Post #5030416

Here what I took this pic of 2 mules does jog to across the road...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2008
8:54 PM

Post #5031960

Here's the "Devils Tower" today

Thumbnail by JuJu55

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2008
12:35 AM

Post #5032882

Great pics!! I have been to the Tower and it is awe inspiring.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2008
1:59 AM

Post #5033264

I'm really enjoying all the pictures, everyone. So many lovely flowers and Rusty's pictures help us see the country without leaving home.
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

June 1, 2008
3:44 AM

Post #5033845

Gorgeous pictures and yes a nice tour of the country!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2008
5:44 PM

Post #5036151

I just left yesterday late afternoon right after Devils Tower then back to motel and get my stuffs out of the room... I took pics at Badland (alot of it so beautiful!)...

I am safe home now...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

allysgram
Sedalia, MO

June 1, 2008
8:06 PM

Post #5036800

Glad you are home safe. Thanks for the pictures it is good to see the country through someone else's eyes when you cain't travel to those places.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2008
8:49 PM

Post #5036988

Wow!! Gorgeous pic of the badlands!!

Last night I ruined my keyboard by spilling tea on it. I normally don't keep drinks on my desk but it's the only place I won't find ants at right now. So today I went and got a wireless keyboard and mouse and am now back online. At least I hope it stays that way. lol. Had trouble setting up but I think I found out all the secrets on keeping it running. lol
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2008
9:58 PM

Post #5037366

Trust me, Pepper, if you eat or drink at your computer the ants will find you. Living with that sad but true fact at this time.

I worked days at the cafe' this weekend. I learned that starting next weekend we will be closing at 2 p.m. on Sunday. The employers have really missed going to church due to business hours so have come to this decision. I'm thrilled. Been praying about it for some time.

It has suddenly turned HOT and DRY. None of the predicted rain of the past few days has showed up. I'll need to water the plants and bulbs I just planted. What a switch. lol.

Need a rest before even thinking about church tonight. Also need to call someone and make sure we are even having regular services. I think I remember something about something different on June 1st. If it is what I think it is I don't know if I have the energy. Tho if it is what I think it is I need it. Does that make sense?

GOD bless and keep each of you.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2008
11:43 PM

Post #5037848

I made new forum June 2008 already..

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/857047/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Central Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You have to guess what this is - it's in my garden. LOL crystalnurse 181 Sep 22, 2010 10:54 AM
dahlias-How to store allysgram 18 Apr 18, 2007 4:39 PM
Stargazer Lily Bulbs Question cedarnest 19 Jul 3, 2007 8:42 PM
Let's go gardening! Terry 12 Jun 21, 2014 10:28 PM
Speaking of winter MaryinLa 5 Mar 3, 2007 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America