Merry Month of May

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

We had a wonderful month of April - we had so many posts from different contributors that we started a second thread. It was FUN!!
Let's keep it going - please, show your stuff !

Here now is Trichopilia Suave Margins, a nice Orchid which I got about 4 years ago from Santa Barbara Orchids. They list it as Trpla marginata x suavis.
A ruffled dress, a pretty perfume - she is ready for a party!

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

And here is the whole plant in a treefern ring. This one does not need a premium sunny spot to do well, it gets light conditions similar to a Phal, temperatures are intermediate to warm.

Thumbnail by RUK
Saint Petersburg, FL(Zone 9b)

RUK.......that is breath takin' wow....I need that one LOL
Here are some of mine.

Thumbnail by ricfl

Thumbnail by ricfl

#3 not an orchid

Thumbnail by ricfl
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Great start for the month! I'll probably be laying low. Most of my stuff is programmed for Fall/Winter since we're away so much (but I always love surprises).

Laurel

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

A cat. I have had for 25 years, but lost the tag. It has a wonderful cinnamon scent.

Susan in Minneapolis

Thumbnail by smkennedy
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

I have two windows in my dining room with Phals. at their peak bloom. #1 ...

Thumbnail by smkennedy
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

.. and #2.

Susan in Minneapolis

Thumbnail by smkennedy
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Ursula, love that Trichopilia. I wish my tortilis had more than one leaf!! Ricfl, nice hoya! Susan love the phal pic. Wonderful striped foliage is a great foil. Nice bloom!!!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Really nice everyone. Ursula, you have the coolest orchids - that Trichopilia is gorgeous!

Here's one of mine. Bought in bud (big surprise). ;)

Dtps. Leopard Prince

Joanne

Thumbnail by Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

And here's the whole fam-damily. The top two shelves are all orchids. The bottom two shelves (that you can't see in the picture) have grow lights that I start outdoor seedlings under in the spring. That's all gonna change at the end of this month. Those bottom two shelves are going to become additional orchid growing shelves under the lights, basically doubling my orchid space. Woo hoo! My credit card is shuddering.

Thumbnail by Grow_Jo
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Susan, you have the perfect Phal window! They look happy!

Ric, I love the #2, such nice color and form.

Joanne, you have a nice set up and good looking plants. And I do love the cat picture!

Here is one which flowers here and there and produces a cute buggy looking flower every so often and then produces a nice flush of bugs for a few weeks.
Restrepia antennifera

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

a closer look -

Thumbnail by RUK
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

RUK,

Thanks for the very interesting closeup of the Restrepia antennifera. Definitely new to me. And repeated flushes are very nice in an orchid.

Susan

Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

Ursula. the Trichopilia is special. Ric, love the reds even when not orchids. Susan you have a very nice phal garden. Very showy Dtps. Joanne. Great display all.

Ken

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Ursula - Wonderful Trichopilia. She is dressed for a party and to help her out, here are some Dancing Ladies.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

My oncidium Butterfly has produced the third bloom on the one spike.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I also like the unusual Restrepia antennifera and the DTPS from Jo. One of my Phals just opened. Here is Salu Rose X Golden Sun.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

And that's really an achievement from one who kills these!!
Sigmatostalix radicans today. Also dancing.

Thumbnail by boojum

Cross post, Jim. Luscious phal!!

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Guess who is going to be eating fresh tomatos in about two days?

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

WOW! Haven't even thought about planting mine yet!
I joined the primrose society today at this show.
http://www.photoworks.com/photo-sharing/shareSignin.jsp?shareCode=A09A891C57D&cp=ems_shr_alb_pml&cb=PW

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Your slide show was a treat as I haven't seen most of those flowers since I moved to Florida 10 years ago. Daffodils are really special.

Jim

The voles don't eat them so I'm really getting interested now. Glad you liked the show. It really was a window shopping trip so the pics were not too exciting (just informative) and the light was bad, but you get the idea. I was there 2 hours-bought lots of auricula primroses, joined up, took quick pics, and bought a book on miniature orchids and a dark chocolate bar for the ride home. On the way home I bought coleus and sweet potato vines for planters. I may be going to VT soon to see a primrose expert's garden. I'll be hitching a ride with my iris friend who loves and shows primroses at Tower Hill (Andrew's mom, Todd).

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Proving the old adage that even a blind hog will find an acorn once in a while, I was in Home Depot to buy a bag of rocks when I notice the orchid man had just arrived and was opening boxes. I watched as he placed several new phals on the sale table and then gasped as he pulled out two of the most beautiful Miltoniopsis orchids I had ever seen. Both are in 6 inch clay pots and the blooms measure 3.5 by 4 inches across. Needless to say, both followed me home and I even remembered to bring the rocks. So like a proud papa, I'm priviledged to show you Milt. Keiko Komoda 'H181'.

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

And here is the plant.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This one is Milt. Patricia Marie Linares '1'

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

I love that picture RUK, wow is all I can say.

Jim what a find!!! Congrats!

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I tried to post the Milt. Patricia Marie Linares '1' plant picture three times to no avail. I'll try once more.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

Jim, about the post with the green and red/orange fruit, you wouldn't be teasing us northerners would you? Beautiful catch at Home Deopt.

Kathy, another wonderful slide show.

Ken

Thanks, Ken!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Ursula - cool Restrepia; it's leaves kind of remind me of a Hoya. Jim - love the Butterfly orchid, the Phal. Salu Rose x Golden Sun, the FABULOUS Miltoniopsis's (Home Depot? Wow!), and tomatoes already! I'm still nursing mine along under the lights, which they have outgrown, and I can't put them outside for probably three more weeks.
Kathy - your slide show was great. I love primroses. Brilliant idea to take pictures of the tags of the plants; who can remember all those names? LOL. I'm going to do that the next time I go to an orchid show.

Oh yeah, and can I just say that I have either a new leaf or a SHEATH coming on my Paph. Ho Chi Minh. Oh please please let it be a sheath.

Joanne

This message was edited May 5, 2008 8:21 PM

I'd love to see a Ho chi Minh about now so I'm rooting for you! Den pierardii opened today.

Thumbnail by boojum

It's officially spring here-the weeping cherry's doing its thing.

Thumbnail by boojum
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Fun stuff, everybody!!
Jim, you lucked out, the Miltoniopsis look gorgeous. Great plants! I think our Home Depot is a dud! :-(.
Beautiful slide show, Kathy. I love Primulas!!

Around here the Dogwoods are in full bloom, everything is green. Last week I had to run out and buy a large tarp to cover some of plants which I had moved outside already - mainly budding Epiphyllums. The Cymbidiums were in the cage, placed somewhat protected. We had two nights of Frost! I hope that is it, but I am waiting at least another week to start moving the Orchids out.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

We can't grow flowering cherries here Kathy but you may enjoy a picture of my Jacaranda which is in full bloom now.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

Oh I love jacarandas. Saw them in bloom in Puerto Rico.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

I love Jacarandas too, they are very pretty!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.