Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Antiques and Collectibles: what is this unusual piece of a dinnerware set

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 45, Views: 1,352
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
chris_h
Waukegan, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2008
3:22 PM

Post #4896387

I have been trying for years to find out what the purpose of this piece was. It is 4 inches wide and there is one for every place setting. The pattern is Briar Rose by Pope Gosser. I bought the set with 100 pieces for $25 in the 1970's. I found a picture of this piece in an online publication about the history of the Pope Gosser company but the only description was "square dish with raised square hold". Hold what? That's my question. The hole is too small and shallow to safely hold a candle, even the tiny tapers. It looks like it could possibly have been for a cigarette. But that would mean the cigarette would be sticking straight up - seems odd. A few of the pieces are badly crazed like maybe cigarettes had been stubbed out in them. Maybe in the 1920's everybody would have been smoking at the dinner table?? Has anyone seen these before and does anyone know what they are?

Thumbnail by chris_h
Click the image for an enlarged view.

schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2008
4:50 PM

Post #4896808

Would a womans thumb fit in it? Could it be a finger hold? Someone will come along and tell you.
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2008
2:51 PM

Post #4900807

I would guess that it is a candle holder. It might be a salt dip. Crazing is normally physical stress within the given piece. It is thought to be caused by glazes to far physically removed from the make up of the slip used in making the plate form. Improper firing is possible but not nearly as suspect as materials that do not work well together.

Not as nice is the fact that there have been many reproductions in crockery like this piece. The originals have become quite pricy. This encourages cheap reproductions using less quality materials. Crazing like this can be reproduced in crockery to make it look old. The only way to be absolutely sure it is old would be to have it side by side with known proven old plates of this type. Experts of course can see reproductions at a glance.

When faced with a situation like this I assume reproduction until proven otherwise. There is a horrific reproduction industry out there. Sometimes I go with auction price levels. If known quality dealers are bidding it up I know then that one bid over their level is a good price to pay...unless I think they are playing with my brains or lack of real knowledge. They normally hope to double their buy price for resale. They will normally stop bidding at about that level or even less.

Your set of that pattern is beautiful. Enjoy it. Incidently the reproduction thing has been around since time began. I use some of them in my home but I sure would not pay for originals and put them into daily use excepting very special occasions. I sometimes use eBay reference for a self check.

This message was edited May 3, 2008 10:52 AM
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2008
12:06 AM

Post #4902668

Chris,

If you go onto ebay, under the community tab, there are discussions by category that may be helpful. Check out the link to those forums: http://forums.ebay.com/db2/forum.jspa?forumID=75

If you do not do well there, you take the plate to an antique dealer or an auctioneer, odds are they would be able to tell you what the square knob on this plate is for. They may charge you for this service.

Let us know what it is when you find out - I too am curious.

Carolyn
chris_h
Waukegan, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2008
5:39 PM

Post #4909918

Although I know nothing about china, I have never felt that this set was fine china because it it quite lightweight and and has a dull sound when you tap it - like the sound of a clay flowerpot. I don't even know if that makes sense but I had a few pieces of Lenox china received as wedding presents and they make a clearer sound when you tap them and also seem harder somehow (or denser if you know what I mean) so I thought that might be an indication of something.

When the Google age hit I checked the name marked on the dishes and found the Pope Gosser information. I found pictures of many of the pieces I have. The idea of the set being a reproduction makes sense. I bought this set because it was so pretty and at that time of my life even $25 was about all I could afford. A whole set of pretty dinnerware for $25 - I was thrilled. And I still like it, so I guess it's okay with me if it's a reproduction. It looks very pretty when I set the table with it.

Just the other day I did find a website that listed some pieces for sale and one item listed was an ashtray. But there was no picture or description so I don't know if that could be the piece I have or not.

I will let you all know if I ever find out for sure what it is.

Thanks
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2008
1:38 AM

Post #4911966

You do pretty good giving me or others clues. Yes it is lovely relatively inexpensive, most likely reproduction. All the clues indicate such. Even if it is not the fact you captured it so inexpensively is also a clue.

I am a guy with a bit of antique center experience working out of a co-op. If I had that set now and wanted to offer it I would sell pieces asking an average of twenty bucks and would take a little less they all expect in the deal. I think that set would bring a good bit more today than you paid for it in auction. Most anyone would pay $15 - $17 for one or two missing pieces to refill their sets. It really does not matter within reason in a situation like that.
I've worked with an outlet for about ten years. I grew up in the industry. I know just about enough to get myself in trouble because I really like the old stuff. We tell people we were ordained to keep it because not just anyone would. :) Our main interests were antique dolls from 1920 back to 1500. Dolls we do know a great deal about.
jazzzy704
Fenton, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 9, 2008
3:50 AM

Post #4927187

If an ashtray could it have held match sticks? Or as suggested salt , as in a bread dish with a salter
included? The plate does seem the size of a bread dish. My 2 cents would be salt!
I don't think any manufacturer of pottery or china made Table side ashtrays!! that piece absolutely looks old.
I soak my dishes in a 10% solution or up to 25% as necessary of bleach! it will clean them right up!!
Try it!
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2008
10:09 AM

Post #4927613

As an old antiquer I cringe when anyone suggests using bleach to make the old look new. Using anything to make the patina go away is not good advise.
If there is anything more than relatively inexpensive china involved here such action will wipe away the value in one swift instance. Do not clean that set up until it is absolutely known that it is not a real high interest collectors item. Just for the love of age signs I would not clean any collectors china or pottery set up ever!

An occasional soaking in just plain water is good advise. Using them in most instances only keeps the dishware on the top of the stack hydrated.
jazzzy704
Fenton, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 10, 2008
5:32 PM

Post #4933134

I understand your preference NOT to use a diluted water bath with bleach but you can not in good health Use a set of dishes which has 'crazing' of the glaze and a dark (you can call it 'Patina') I call it disgusting food or aged dirt debris embedded in the crockery itself!!! You can display them, hang them, sell them...BUT DON"T EAT OFF THEM!!! I have rarely had so expensive an antique plate that was to be harmed by cleaning the surface. Perhaps you have and of course there are instances when the value would be diminished but here the plate can be seen to be NOT in the RARE category and also in it's 'crazed' condition it is already
devalued some!! I had an opinion based on seeing the piece. You made a different judgement...
Did you look at her picture?? Sorry to say so but based on her picture I stand on MY information. I
have been buying and selling for 30+ years. Her piece though attractive and different is not an
expensive or highly valued piece.
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2008
12:31 AM

Post #4938451

Jazzy...You are right and you are also just about all wrong. Apparently you went clear outside of context of my last post. My post calls attention to the fact that the value of this set is truly not known. You will find no informed collector or antiquer that would agree with your reasoning unless you absolutely appraise this set and professionally stand on the grounds that it is of little or no value. Even then the water is not diluted. When a chemical is added the chemical is being diluted by the water. Water is H2O4. Your suggested chemical has numbers that increase the elements of water not dilutes the chemistry of water.
...Being a seller for thirty years buys me nothing but perhaps a little more experience in the field than some others. I have also met young kids that are absoultely wizzards in the field making me look like a beginner. Good judgement and gentle advise is always right. Apparently you did not read my very first post where I absoutely said I did not think this was a high value set...but I do not know. What I do know is that if china or crockery dinnerware is soaked one should read the antique how to advisements and follow them instead of those who walked before us burning up all kinds of antiques with the wrong bleaches and other witches brews.
...Furthermore I know of not a soul who would appraise from a picture on the internet. From quality film based photography for a begining opinion may be OK. The final decisions are made I'm sure you will agree by proven experts who will not consider apraising without having the item in hand. Sometimes even they get fooled usually however at that level by a crook in their own image and at their own level.
jazzzy704
Fenton, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2008
3:29 AM

Post #4939186

Well i think it's enough said!
chris_h
Waukegan, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2008
3:48 AM

Post #4939254

Your discussion of crazing got me curious so I took a closer look at other pieces of the set. Almost all pieces (plates, bowls, platters etc.) are crazed but clean. Oddly, the only pieces that don't seem to be crazed are the cups. I would have expected them to be crazed since they are used for hot liquids.
I don't use the little mystery pieces for food (or anything for that matter) so I don't have to worry about the grungy crazing on those. A couple of them have very badly discolored crazing (worse than the one in the photo) which is why I have this picture in my mind of someone stubbing out a cigarette. Also, the piece in my picture is small, only 4 inches across. It is too small for a bread plate (and too large for salt, I think). The little hole in the raised square is very small, about one quarter inch across. I'm really surprised that I could not find it identified on the internet. I thought I could find everything on the web! I'm going to try looking again and maybe when I get the time I'll go around to some serious antique stores and see if anyone has ever seen this piece before.

Just in case anyone might be interested I've posted a picture of the teapot from the set. It is crazed all over and with slight discoloring of the crazing inside but I expect that's from tea. It's cute isn't it?

Thumbnail by chris_h

jazzzy704
Fenton, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2008
5:02 PM

Post #4941110

OK not to ruffle docgipes feathers. this set has a decal. the decals were put on plain stoneware set
to give it some beauty like the more expensive hand painted pieces woman would have envied.
But of course it was meant for a mass market hence the decal use. Also a good sign of high quality ware is the design, the exactness in the detail and the colors and wear. This piece has uneven heavy-light painted green border ( in some areas thicker in others) The green colored border too is lighter and darker and has some chips? or little cream colored areas where the paint is missing.
It is pretty none the less and Yes you need to pursue the make and auction and or retail price of the set.
Good luck.
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2008
7:44 PM

Post #4941659

Frankly I would not waste a dime pursuit of appraisal. To my way of thinking that would be waste of the collector's dollar. We now have the owner and two others believing it is not a set of high value. Enjoy it. That was the original purpose in the first place.

Reading collector books and doing that kind or research is fun. Throwing it out to a forum like this sometimes produces exciting results. Sometimes we even have the correct advisements available for the poster.
chris_h
Waukegan, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 14, 2008
1:44 AM

Post #4947821

Well, I'm glad my dishes can't hear you talking about them, poor little things I'm just going to let them think they're the real thing.

As for me, I actually feel kind of happy that they're not valuable - I won't be tense when I'm using them. I'd still like to know what that mysterious piece is.

Thanks for all the interesting information.

jazzzy704
Fenton, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 14, 2008
1:20 PM

Post #4949505

Chris,
They ARE valuable...TO YOU!! Value is NOT REAL it is supposed based on what people HAVE paid. It is only in SELLING them can you determine the VALUE of these. That is unless YOU assess a value out of
a fondness for them. But yes they won't sell for 1000.00 but i don't know what they would sell for!!
I would look to write down what you have in pieces and go online or to shops and get an idea of OFFERS to purchase. You can double that sometimes triple !! For an independent sale price.
Julie
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 18, 2008
6:17 PM

Post #4969268

No matter the age or quality of any product anywhere, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Other than the price of gasoline the market pretty much sets the price. As Jazzy says in so many words, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have many articles that not only could I NOT get a dime, I WOULD NOT sell for any amount.

LouC
chris_h
Waukegan, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2008
10:08 PM

Post #4980079

I agree. Most of my favorite "things" have little or no resale value but I get enjoyment from them every time I look at them.
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 12, 2008
3:20 AM

Post #5091027

I have no idea if my grandmother was correct in her use of a similar style of small dishes I remember as a child but she called hers biscuit plates and said the raised piece was a knife rest to prevent the butter knife from soiling the table linen.
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 12, 2008
11:48 AM

Post #5091778

I have attended hundreds of estate sales which in this area "average" about three thousand dollars gross. Each and every one of them has an old grandmas something two or three items that sell at prices that even amazes dealers. The old dealers advise to attic, garage, shop and basement squirrels is don't throw away anything. Let the auctioneers find the real value levels. That is their job selling on commission agreement while knowing how to attract the right buyers for anything of value.

In my savings there are hundreds of items that will bring an average of five to ten bucks a pop. If I had a barn full with thousands of items the gross could get financially exciting. When we got out of the collectables and antiques business we let the local auctioneer have his fun. I did not even go to the sale. Stuff...just plain stuff I paid a hundred bucks for brought five or ten dollars while other stuff went the other way. The net was very intersting after a twenty year savings of the best stuff...just because we thought it was worth a fortune. Harr Harr. Well we figure we were ordained to be keepers of the stuff. :))

We still have the disease but it is reasonably well under control. But then why is my garage some how filling up again?
gk1153
Paris, IL
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2008
12:53 PM

Post #5091978

I was thinking knife rest. As Zanymuse suggested, a biscuit plate would sound appropriate. Drippings from the knife, if any, would pool in the hole.

Cheap or expensive? I haven't a clue. I think the novelty of it would add to the value whether it was cheaply or expensively made. One doesn't see such a good pre-planned idea incorporated on today's tableware.

Gary
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 2, 2008
11:58 AM

Post #5191985

Chris, Some manufacturers did make matching ashtrays to china sets. I've never seen a set for resale come with more than one or two of them.

If you send a photocopy of your piece along with as much info as possible into Replacements, LTD, they can most likely ID it for you. For that matter, you can go right onto their website. Type in Pope Gosser. They will have photos of most of the patterns. Click on your pattern and maybe a category for this piece will be there. If it's not listed under your pattern, look under other Pope Gosser patterns. The odds are they made this piece for several of their patterns.

If you can't locate it on their website, call them and they will tell you where to fax the photocopy.
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2008
3:05 PM

Post #5192751

Finally a complete, correct and workable offering of instructions. Thanks.
chris_h
Waukegan, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2008
8:52 AM

Post #5245458

I don't know if you noticed above but I did find a picture of the mystery item on a website with a book about the history of Pope Gosser china. It was my exact piece but they it did not say what it was for, just "square dish with raised square hold". It was even badly crazed like mine are - much worse than the other dishes in the set. It's helpful to learn that there were matching ashtrays made for china sets because that's what it looks like to me.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2008
11:56 AM

Post #5245687

I was in Sur Le Table recently and asked her if she had ever seen such a dish. She had not but thought it was most probably a salt dish. Still no positive id.

Christi
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 13, 2008
4:45 PM

Post #5251912

Lou, Salt dishes usually are mini bowls, to enable you to put your fingers into the mix and take a pinch. I don't see how this item would serve that purpose.

Chris, If you want a true ID, it's worth taking the time to contact replacements. They have always been very helpful to me. They've seen more dishes than just about anybody.

Considering the concept of Hold, I've often seen that term used in 2 ways. One is for an appendage enabling a person to hold the item. The other fashion is what I think they mean in this case, where an affixed appendage is designed to hold something.

It could hold a cigarette, but I've never seen an ashtray where the cigarettes are held upside down. As it burned lower, you wouldn't be able to pick it up. It could possibly be to have a cigarette placed at the table as an offering to whomever wanted one, but I find that unlikely.

Even though cigarette smoking was quite vogue in the past, I've never seen any evidence of anyone setting a table with one at every place. At one time I had an extensive collection of photos and drawings and even an encyclopedia of table settings. I'm quite sure this would have been offensive to some guests.You would often read of people adjourning to other rooms to smoke, especially men.

The victorians were incredibly imaginative in designing table utensils for the most limited uses. Terrapin, pickle, olive, lemon, lettuce, potato forks.

If a guess would be good enough, I think that gk1153 is more likely right. I don't think the hold was designed to catch butter or jam drippings, but the plate is the right size for a biscuit or roll and the hold could be a butter knife rest that would actually serve as a good scraping devise for reusing the knife to scoop butter or jam.
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 13, 2008
11:52 PM

Post #5254042

Chris, I also wanted to add that the plates 4" size, while small for today's bread plate usage would not necessarily exclude it from that purpose long ago. Don't forget that they often used the word biscuit to refer to crackers. A sterling cracker scoop, while being a slightly enlarged serving spoon was meant to scoop up small biscuits (crackers), often round home made ones the size of southern cheese snaps or bene wafers. Dinner rolls and biscuits of that era were often less than 3" across.

It's size also is similar to that of a tidbit tray, precursor to today's Hors D'ourves plate. If the appendage was designed to enable one to hold the plate, then it could very well be a tidbit tray for use during the cocktail hour.
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2008
4:34 AM

Post #5272062

Sweet little thing, patina or dirt, and my first thought was knife rest or a place for a pat of butter or a spoon of jam (both?) I like stormyla's idea of a tidbit plate for cocktail hour. If it were an ashtray, there would be an indentation for the cigerette. Perhaps, if a tidbit tray, for used cocktail picks? They were made of glass and reusuable, or is that too small?

I hope you post when you find out.
JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

July 21, 2008
7:36 PM

Post #5297227

For what it's worth I will throw in my 2 cents. I collect salt dips and have never seen anything resembling your plate pictured in any of my books, so I think salt dip is out and biscuit/cracker plate is more on the order of yours. As some have stated above, enjoy your plates and perhaps Replacements can give you an answer. Wish I could be of more help.
megano24
Ellenboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2008
7:19 PM

Post #5491203

MAYBE its a spot where something else attatched to the plate,,, like a peg hole that held another piece to the puzzle!!
chris_h
Waukegan, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2008
5:37 PM

Post #5525016

We've had a lot of events this summer and I have just a few peaceful moments right now so I sat down to visit dave's garden.

I did contact replacements but have not received any information from them so far.

The dish seems a bit small for any food to me. It is just an inch wider than the palm of my hand. Seems small even for a biscuit. And the "raised square hold" is 1/4 inch wide and 1/4 inch deep. What can it possibly "hold"?

I am amazed that I haven't been able to find anyone anywhere who knows what the heck it is.

Maybe this winter I'll start taking it around to antique shops and see if I can find anyone who recognizes it.

Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 8, 2008
6:18 PM

Post #5525145

This site's pdf file just calls it a
[quote]Square plate with raised
square hold W4”[/quote]
http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache:ROS4LmZvVAUJ:www.jhmuseum.org/Complete%2520Booklet%2520pope%2520Gosser.pdf+Briar+Rose+by+Pope+Gosser&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

dragonfly53

dragonfly53
(Terri )South Boston, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2008
1:21 PM

Post #5743065

I'm wondering if this is a butter pat dish? I've seen small round handled two pronged forks in antique stores, maybe the fork went upright in the hole?
LC2sgarden
Bolivar, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2008
7:12 AM

Post #5799981

Could it be a dish for donuits? After all, a donut would fit.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 4, 2008
5:07 PM

Post #5858199

I put my cigs out in a similar shaped snuffer. Drop in and it goes out almost immediately. No smoldering butts.

That said, I have a hard time believing that smoking was popular enough to warrant making them in the pattern of the dishes.
JeanBHall
Norwood, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2009
5:48 AM

Post #6699389

Looks like it might be made by Home Laughlin. Any markings on the bottom?
chris_h
Waukegan, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2009
9:49 PM

Post #6702313

The markings say Briar Rose, Pope Gosser but the knowledgeable people who have posted here have said the dishes are probably an inexpensive reproduction which seems true because they really don't have the feel of fine china to me. But I don't care about that as I bought the set of 100 pieces for $25 in the 1970's and have no interest in selling it.

But it is driving me crazy that I cannot find anyone who knows for sure what the purpose of the little piece (see photo above) is. I have used the Replacements Ltd. website twice to seek information about this piece. I included a picture. Both times after a few months passed I got an automatically generated email saying my email had been deleted without being opened.

Someday someone is going to see that picture and say "I know what it is. My Great Grandmother had that same thing in her set and it was used for ..."

Thanks for all the ideas.

Thumbnail by chris_h

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2009
10:08 PM

Post #6702387

have you been to Kovels.com?
chris_h
Waukegan, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2009
3:46 AM

Post #6721352

I have never heard of Kovels but I'll check it out for sure. Thanks.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 16, 2009
10:20 PM

Post #6828111

I'd think that if the hole was meant to hold butter or jelly or something like that, the sides would be more tapered, not straight vertical. The hole itself lacks the same aesthetics as the rest of the plate, as if the hole was not meant to be seen. To me it looks like maybe some post goes in there to hold another plate above this one, to make a two-tiered plate. Just a wild guess, but that's the first thing I thought of.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 17, 2009
7:18 PM

Post #6831514

This is just another wild guess, but maybe they'd take a flower with at thick base, like a rose or carnation, and cut off the stem and stick the flower in the hole.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2009
2:07 AM

Post #6832996

http://www.cigarettesnuffer.com/ash-tray-cigarette-snuffer.htm
I am thinking that it IS a snuffer ashtray. The staining matches what an ashtray would have too. As you see from the link, they are still making them.
chris_h
Waukegan, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2009
5:19 PM

Post #6842175

Juneybug, your comments got me searching again and I found this clue (maybe):

Read this paragraph from cookingwithshirley.com about how to set the table for a formal dinner.

"I have shown a formal table setting with a couple of changes to accommodate a less formal dinner. I did use chargers, but you certainly may eliminate them. I moved the salad fork to the left as it is often served prior to the entrée. You can pretty well follow the picture, but feel free to make the changes to conform to your own version of a formal setting. I did not use a fish knife or fork, but you could use them if you are serving a fish course. I did use the individual salt and pepper shakers. It is best not to clutter the table with too much silverware, but rather bring additional pieces as the course is served. According to my Joy of Cooking, a formal table setting would also include an ashtray, cigarettes and matches. Well, in this day and age, that would be taboo."

Ahhah! They did used to set ashtrays for each guest. Maybe my pieces really are ashtrays. How delightfully tacky! A cigarette is about the only thing I can think of that would fit into that little "holder". I still can't believe I can't find an actual description of the function of these little dishes anywhere.

gk1153
Paris, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2009
8:52 PM

Post #6843061

If it is an ashtray I imagine the "holder" was for matches opposed to cigarettes. Lighters didn't become fashionable/available until the 30's. It would have held half a dozen of the old kitchen matches that lit anywhere friction could be managed. A four inch plate is the right size for a cigar to rest between puffs. The holder would have been too small for snubbing out a cigar.
Duchess61
Indialantic, FL

July 21, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #6846626

I think it is an ashtray, and the hole is for snuffing out the cigarette, which can then be re-lit after the next course - if one stubs out the cigarette, the whole thing gets crunched!! The other possibiity that occurred to me was that it might be a holder for a place-card, which if tent-shaped, would be placed over the "holder" -- but I think ashtray is more likely I doubt that matches went into the hole -- it
isn't deep enough, there is no striker on the ashtray, and separate match-holders with strikers could have been placed nearby. While lighters may not have been fashionable, they were available before the 30's! Also, cigars were usually smoked after the meal, not during nor between courses, when the cigar smokers took to a separate room.

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 30, 2009
12:24 AM

Post #6882382

I just asked my hubby and with out even looking at this thread he said it's an ash tray!! I showed him the picture, he's in his 60's, and that was the first thing out of his mouth, but here again, we're not antique dealers, just everyday people, and he doesn't smoke! hmmmm, maybe goggle ashtrays for the early years, start very early, say the 1800's and look at the pictures of ash trays, just a thought!! Good Luck, Jami

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America