Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: When can I move tulip and daffodil bulbs?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 3, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2008
4:05 PM

Post #4901065

I have some tulips and daffodils that need to be moved. When is the best time to dig up the bulbs and move them? Do I have to wait until they're dormant again, or can they be moved when they're growing/blooming?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2008
4:14 PM

Post #4901089

If you can wait, it's probably best to wait until the foliage has died back. But if you have to move them, as long as you leave their foliage on them and replant them somewhere so they can complete their growth cycle it may be OK, although the stress of transplanting will probably take some energy away from replenishing the bulbs for next year.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2008
4:57 PM

Post #4901233

There are just a couple that are about to be run over by some rampant Asiatic lilies (who knew those things would spread like crazy?) if I don't move them. Maybe I'll try to move those and then leave the rest until they die back.

Thanks for the advice, ecrane!
okus

(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2008
5:07 PM

Post #4901254

Once they finish blooming you can move them when you like, provided you leave all the foliage to die back on its own. Traditionally, when I was a kid that is(!), bulbs were always lifted once the blooms were over and hung somewhere cool and dry to die back, then replanted in the fall.
That leaves the ground clear for summer bedding without the untidy bulb foliage drooping around and is supposed to reduce the chance of "tulip fire blight" destroying the bulbs. Some bulbs, for example snowdrops are best moved "in the green" that is while they are growing. They do much better that way.

HTH

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America