Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Spring Ephemerals, or A Walk in the Woods: Very timely!

Communities > Forums > Article: Spring Ephemerals, or A Walk in the Woods
bookmark
Forum: Article: Spring Ephemerals, or A Walk in the WoodsReplies: 9, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2008
1:27 PM

Post #4904316

Great article - thanks for writing it! I recently moved to a property with some timber on it and went for a walk yesterday and saw (and photographed) some wildflowers. I had no idea what they were and posted them on the Plant ID forum. One of them was a trout lily! Guess I just needed to wait a day! This will help me as the season goes on to identify others that I see. I also saw woodland phlox yesterday - pale purple. Very pretty flowers. All of these things are new to me!
Claire

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2008
3:07 PM

Post #4904726

Love those Spring Beauties! Of course, they are all gone by now here in KY, but they are sure a welcome sign that winter is over!
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

May 4, 2008
9:53 PM

Post #4905976

Hi, Kathleen. Nice article. I am starting to think the spring ephemerals might be my favorites. We appreciate them so after a long winter!
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2008
10:58 PM

Post #4906182

I'm glad you all liked the article. I remember the first spring that I really got to go through the woods over the month of May. I was astonished at what I found. It was the spur to my love affair with native and wild flowers. And while logging and gas well drilling have taken a toll on our woods (not of our making), the flowers, having had several years to recuperate, are coming back quite nicely.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2008
12:24 AM

Post #4906611

Ohhh, Kathleen, what a wonderful 'walk' in the woods. Thanks for the smiles it brought!
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9035780

That happens for us here in 9a the last week of Feb and continues now in March. Wild Strawberry is first in January, then Oxalis, then the ten-petal anemone, Later will be the woods violet. Thanks so much for the walk in the woods. Im a city mouse now and I miss walking in the woods just behing my house. I keep all the ephemerals that volunteer on my property like the ones above. They put on a show and then just disappear leaving the stage to the perennials. So well mannered and beautiful.
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9035839

I'm glad you could "walk" with me. We are still having snow off and on, but the spring beauties will be popping up soon. I love the little ephemerals, they come when we need them most.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9035881

Waving at Kathleen ~~~~~!
Yes, they're popping up here in KY. I expect violets and spring beauties any day.
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9035963

phttttttttttttttttt : P

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9035968

:oD

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Spring Ephemerals, or A Walk in the Woods Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Love your vivid descriptions! KathyJo 4 May 7, 2008 2:18 AM
Spring Ephemerals waplummer 4 Mar 29, 2011 6:40 AM
Ephemerals blossems 1 Apr 9, 2012 8:42 AM
wild violets ritalovestennis 1 Apr 27, 2012 6:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America