Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Growing Osteospermum, The African Daisy: Thanks!

Communities > Forums > Article: Growing Osteospermum, The African Daisy
bookmark
Forum: Article: Growing Osteospermum, The African DaisyReplies: 5, Views: 98
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CaptMicha
Brookeville, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2008
6:25 AM

Post #4908057

I bought one of these from Hope Depot a few weeks ago. It's really pretty but I'm disappointed to find out that they don't bloom very well in hot weather.
delphiniumdiva
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2008
11:49 AM

Post #4908394

Thanks for the article! I think I'll give them another try since you say they should start blooming again in fall. Good job!
k2gardenguy
Gaithersburg, MD

May 5, 2008
12:26 PM

Post #4908588

I started some annual Osteospermum pluvialis (African Moon) and Osteospermum sinuata (African Sun) from T&M seeds last year and loved them. They do beautifully in poor soil, LOVE hot weather (worst drought in memory here in MD last year) and bloomed continually with deadheading. I liked them so much I have started seedlings again this year, and added the "Tetra Sunshine Giants" variety of pluvalis and Osteospermum hybrida Giant Mixed. You can start these from seed as late as mid-May to early June and still get bushels of flowers until first frost. They grow very quickly, fill empty spots in the garden beautifully and flower profusely. They are also great for children, because they germinate in days, so you get some "instant gratification." They do tend to get leggy when started indoors, but it's warm enough now to start them outside on the deck, or right in the garden bed. They make good cut flowers for arranging, although the blooms do close at night and re-open each morning. (CaptMicha - I'm 10 min. away if you'd like to have a couple of samples or some leftover seeds.)
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2008
4:01 PM

Post #4909531

Good article, Melody.

I've had some interesting crosses from seed - a spooned white and a purple gave some sort of spooned lavendar and almost pink blooms one year. Unfortunately, I lost the plants to an unexpected frost last year and the seed, so will have to buy some new and see what I can come up with next year. Up here, they bloom all summer.
Fitsy
Hayesville, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2008
10:12 PM

Post #4911112

Thanks! They sound like something I'd like!
Fitsy

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2008
3:01 AM

Post #4912478

I loved these last year just when the petunias were petering out they kicked in... i started some indoors ... boy did they get leggy... i didn't know to pinch them so thanks... and now plan on doing cuttings this fall

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Growing Osteospermum, The African Daisy Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
African daisies nugemk22 6 Jul 21, 2011 5:33 AM
I have these as my screen saver! Bookerc1 1 Jul 22, 2010 12:57 PM
Favorite new flower for me. HollyAnnS 1 Nov 15, 2008 6:33 PM
Fall flower? waltwego 1 Dec 10, 2009 3:42 PM
creeping phlox/biennial or prennial ? MARYBEA 1 Jun 14, 2010 12:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America