Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Article: Top 10 List of Pests that you might find in your Yard or Garden.: Japanese Beetles

Communities > Forums > Article: Top 10 List of Pests that you might find in your Yard or Garden.
bookmark
Forum: Article: Top 10 List of Pests that you might find in your Yard or Garden.Replies: 2, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DianeEG
Galva, IL

May 5, 2008
12:25 PM

Post #4908584

I live in the country so fighting damaging insects is never ending. Because I try to use "natural" ways of getting rid of them, I have found going out early in the morning, while the beetles are sluggish, is best. They are clustered on my rugosa rose buds, I hold a zip lock bag under the buds, gently shake the buds, and the beetles drop inside the bag. When I have visited all the bushes, I zip the bag, lay it in the sun, and do it again the next day. When it is full or just plain icky, I throw in the trash and get a new bag. If I wait till later in the day, they are more likely to fly when you shake the bush. I've never totally eliminated the pests but have made a big enough dent in the population to allow my roses time to bloom. They seem to like the rugosa roses the best.
k1870
Fenton, MI

May 5, 2008
1:37 PM

Post #4908882

I do not grow roses as I am very allergic to them. My father on the other hand has several 'Rose of Sharons' and uses SD-40 on the Japanese beetles and it kills them and doesn't harm the plant. Just a thought if you don't like pesticides.
DianeEG
Galva, IL

May 26, 2008
9:10 PM

Post #5006511

Thanks for your help. Now, exactly what is SD-40?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Top 10 List of Pests that you might find in your Yard or Garden. Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
GOPHERS Kikki 2 Apr 15, 2009 2:17 PM
Squash Bugs eskarp 0 May 5, 2008 4:51 PM
I've seen all of them catwatcher 0 May 5, 2008 4:53 PM
Soapy water for aphids gbarthutk 2 Aug 27, 2009 1:15 AM
mosquitos kathyew 0 May 12, 2008 12:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America