Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Spring Ephemerals, or A Walk in the Woods: Love your vivid descriptions!

Communities > Forums > Article: Spring Ephemerals, or A Walk in the Woods
bookmark
Forum: Article: Spring Ephemerals, or A Walk in the WoodsReplies: 4, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KathyJo
Fayette, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2008
1:09 PM

Post #4908743

I hope to be able to spend more time in the woods someday! I notice your trilliums are a little bit different than the ones that grow here! How absolutely lovely!
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2008
1:49 PM

Post #4908940

HI, KJo! We have three different kinds of trilliums, the large white, the wake robin and a green one that I haven't been able to find any info on. My grandfather used to call the red stinking Benjamins. I have no idea who Benjamin was, but they do have a less than pleasant oder.
KathyJo
Fayette, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2008
8:18 PM

Post #4910557

I had heard that the ones here called wake robins.. I have a picture but don't see how to attach it to this thread.. The leaves of the ones I have in the woods are "mottled" The flower is burgundy...

Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2008
9:20 PM

Post #4910827

those sound like toadshade
http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=TRSE2

I've seen them around here as well, but not in my woods. I love the leaves.
KathyJo
Fayette, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2008
2:18 AM

Post #4917036

Yes, It's look almost exactly like that.. The picture of yours has a little fatter leaf than mine.

I have been to a tree graftng school today.. That was interesting..

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Spring Ephemerals, or A Walk in the Woods Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Very timely! DrDoolotz 9 Mar 9, 2012 12:46 PM
Spring Ephemerals waplummer 4 Mar 29, 2011 6:40 AM
Ephemerals blossems 1 Apr 9, 2012 8:42 AM
wild violets ritalovestennis 1 Apr 27, 2012 6:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America