Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Spring Ephemerals, or A Walk in the Woods: Love your vivid descriptions!

Communities > Forums > Article: Spring Ephemerals, or A Walk in the Woods
bookmark
Forum: Article: Spring Ephemerals, or A Walk in the WoodsReplies: 4, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KathyJo
Fayette, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2008
1:09 PM

Post #4908743

I hope to be able to spend more time in the woods someday! I notice your trilliums are a little bit different than the ones that grow here! How absolutely lovely!
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2008
1:49 PM

Post #4908940

HI, KJo! We have three different kinds of trilliums, the large white, the wake robin and a green one that I haven't been able to find any info on. My grandfather used to call the red stinking Benjamins. I have no idea who Benjamin was, but they do have a less than pleasant oder.
KathyJo
Fayette, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2008
8:18 PM

Post #4910557

I had heard that the ones here called wake robins.. I have a picture but don't see how to attach it to this thread.. The leaves of the ones I have in the woods are "mottled" The flower is burgundy...

Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2008
9:20 PM

Post #4910827

those sound like toadshade
http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=TRSE2

I've seen them around here as well, but not in my woods. I love the leaves.
KathyJo
Fayette, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2008
2:18 AM

Post #4917036

Yes, It's look almost exactly like that.. The picture of yours has a little fatter leaf than mine.

I have been to a tree graftng school today.. That was interesting..

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Spring Ephemerals, or A Walk in the Woods Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Very timely! DrDoolotz 9 Mar 9, 2012 12:46 PM
Spring Ephemerals waplummer 4 Mar 29, 2011 6:40 AM
Ephemerals blossems 1 Apr 9, 2012 8:42 AM
wild violets ritalovestennis 1 Apr 27, 2012 6:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America