Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: There's Always a Reason: Companion Planting: great information!

Communities > Forums > Article: There's Always a Reason: Companion Planting
bookmark
Forum: Article: There's Always a Reason: Companion PlantingReplies: 23, Views: 73
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 5, 2008
1:20 PM

Post #4908804

hi shar, as always absoluty enjoyed the reading
now after reading that now i know why some of my backyard plants are free of bugs!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 6, 2009
7:13 AM

Post #6783384

Sharon, what a wonderful article! Like Liz, I understand better now why some of my plants don't have bugs. I will know better how to plant flowers in the veggie garden next year, thanks!
You know, many of the people in our country are still doing what your aunts did. And even if we are buying the veggies or fruits from the market, we are still doing jam or tomato paste and juice for the winter.
BTW, I knew the same about the frogs !LOL
Hugs,
Adina
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 6, 2009
7:23 AM

Post #6783390

Hi Adina,
The world is a small place, isn't it, and the story about frogs just brings us even closer.

And Liz, I don't know how I missed your post the first time around. I try always to answer my comments.

So thank you both for writing, and Adina, good luck with the gardening.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 6, 2009
8:45 AM

Post #6783435

Thanks, Sharon! I'm wondering what your next article will be about!LOL This should make a book, you 'd have a great success!
Hugs,
Adina

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 6, 2009
10:09 AM

Post #6783513

great information... thank you
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

July 6, 2009
11:34 AM

Post #6783668

Good morning, dear Sharon. Another fine article from your memory bank of Aunt Bett, Ninna and your mother. Great women who produced my new treasured friend! I enjoyed this article and the knowledge shared and memories it evoked.

Hope you have a "magnificent" day!

Angie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 6, 2009
2:17 PM

Post #6784230

Thank you, Adina. The book...well, soon maybe.

Onewish, good to hear from you. I hope all your rains have gone away up there.

Angie, glad you enjoyed. I wasn't expecting this one this morning, so reading it again brought back some smiles for me too.

Thank you all for writing.
jraubo
New Berlin, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2009
3:42 PM

Post #6784655

Wonderful article Sharon! I wasn't reading regularly last year so it was a new one from you for me. Funny though because my dad, who grew up on a northern farm, toted all his knowledge right into the city to the corner lot where he gardened right around the house during every free moment throughout my childhood. There were always flowers between vegetables or vegetables between flowers, I never quite knew which (wish that I'd listened a little harder) but I particularly remember some combinations on your list. He used marigolds and asters quite heavily and talked about why he changed locations of 'crops' year after year. You just brought back some really fond memories fo me. Thanks. Jamie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 6, 2009
3:46 PM

Post #6784667

Jamie, nice surprise hearing from you here.
Glad the article brought you good memories, too. It seems those who came before us knew a lot if we had only listened.
I hope your gardens are growing well.
Thank you for writing, and you are very welcome.
Sharon
jraubo
New Berlin, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2009
4:14 PM

Post #6784803

Ha Ha! MY garden growing well? Mother's health took up my spring and since, the mosquitos are SOOoooo awful this year that it seems I have gone from perennial gardening to weed cultivation! I 'spose I ought to go back through your articles and grab some remedies from aunt Bett!...anyone interested in some weed seed?
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 6, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #6784840

I'll tell you what I told somebody else recently:

One of my former students came to visit and she said this as she walked through the door: "Ha! Your yard looks just like the yard of that old gypsy fortune teller that lives on the way to Murray. She has bloomin' weeds just like yours!"

May all your weeds be wildflowers, Jamie!
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2009
5:26 PM

Post #6785072

Nice article. I appreciate the companion planting info.

Speaking of wildflower weeds, I selectively planted Aster over my back fence last year reasoning that if weeds are going to grow at least I'm going to like them. I got a couple volunteers in my veggie patch. Now I know there is a bonus so I'll encourage them.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 6, 2009
5:30 PM

Post #6785089

Hi DP,
That's the same attitude I have to take about my weeds. If they bloom, as long as I like them, just let them bloom!
Thanks for writing, enjoy your asters.
jraubo
New Berlin, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2009
8:35 PM

Post #6785771

Oh oh!...dparsons...I didn't ever consider asters weeds...in fact I have just a wonderful patch of those that I gathered and cultivated because they look great with my phlox and obedient plants that occupy the same clump by the back wall and all bloom at the same time up here. I 'spect that whole patch of Wisconsin sunflower that I spent hours digging out of my woods to serve me as a patio blind are weeds too. Hee!...if it's pretty and it returns, I jest keep it! The butterflies and birds seem to agree. Thanks for the cute story Sharon...reminds me of your comments on goldenrod last year when I finally was able to relinquish my guilt for enjoying it as well! (Albeit I have not moved to collect it, I tend to leave it where the critters put it and appreciate its color along the edges of the woods).
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2009
9:33 PM

Post #6785964

Aster just happens to be one of the plants that volunteers here.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 6, 2009
9:36 PM

Post #6785974

If you liked this one Jamie, there's another coming up tomorrow you might like as well, different subject, though.

And you're welcome.
zhinusmom
(Trisha) Olympia, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2009
2:11 AM

Post #6787066

Fantastic as always Sharon...looking for a book and looking for the next article!!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2009
2:31 AM

Post #6787212

Hi Trisha, thank you again!
Another one tomorrow, promise!

It might make you smile.

Book later, I need to set aside more time than I have just for getting it to its final stages.
And my weeds just keep growing.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2009
3:16 AM

Post #6787413

That comment sounds a lot like it might have been said by a dear friend of mine. You know who I mean as she always calls a spade a spade. Am I right? I bet my weeds are bigger and healthier than your weeds, Sharon! Tee hee! I had a really nice plant that came up voluntarily this year. I liked the leaves and thought it made a really showy display...until today. I recognized the bloom of that darned weed and promptly pulled it up by the roots. Isn't it funny when we like a plant until we finally figure what it is? Maybe it is a bit like people who come on as pretty good at first until they show a bad seed tendency and then we jurk them up and out of our lives rapidly if we are lucky enough to do so.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2009
3:33 AM

Post #6787493

A great analogy, Elena.
A spade a spade and a weed a weed.
Yes, that's good.

And you might be right about people, but I hate to think it's so. It's kinda like weeds, sometimes even the weeds have a purpose. We just have to dig a little deeper to get to the root of them.

Thanks for writing, Elena, it's good to hear from you.
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2009
5:22 AM

Post #6787766

Some people are like weeds in that they aren't pretty, but they do your soil good. Others are like weeds in that they suck the life out of the rest of the things in your yard. Yank those.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2009
5:25 AM

Post #6787771

Yes!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 7, 2009
11:03 AM

Post #6788081

Sharon, are you really going to write a book? That's fantastic!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2009
3:09 PM

Post #6788798

Thinking about it, Adina...it all takes time, though.
Thank you.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: There's Always a Reason: Companion Planting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Happy May Day! MistyPetals 12 May 1, 2008 10:03 PM
Companion Planting Sundownr 3 May 1, 2008 10:04 PM
Makes Perfect Sense! Seedtosser1 1 May 2, 2008 12:05 AM
Love it herbalbetty 1 May 5, 2008 12:44 AM
Thanks for the memories.. Pyewacketcat54 1 May 6, 2008 9:30 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America