Photo by Melody

Article: Common Houseplant Pests: Help! Scale!

Communities > Forums > Article: Common Houseplant Pests
bookmark
Forum: Article: Common Houseplant PestsReplies: 3, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
artinthegarden
Madison, WI

May 5, 2008
1:44 PM

Post #4908915

Is there any hope for a schefflera with scale? I have thought several times I had it licked--wiped down the entire plant with soapy water, inspecting each leaf and removing the buggers as I went. I've tried insecticide sprays, but don' t like to use those things. Any ideas? Otherwise it is going to spend the entire summer outside and be left to freeze in the fall.
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

May 5, 2008
2:26 PM

Post #4909136

Thankfully, I have never had to deal with scale. Since you are in the US you have access to a systemic (Bayer for instance). I believe you water the plant with them and the poison is taken up into the branches and leaves and kills any bug that feeds on them. Have you tried those types?
DaBenDan
Vancouver
Canada

May 5, 2008
6:44 PM

Post #4910197

Good luck with the Bayer. I have had scale on a ficus microcarpa for 1 year now and even the systemics never really seem to take care of it totally. I spray, use the systemic and run around with a bottle of rubbing alcohol with a q-tip and I am still plagued with them...my next move is to just let it freeze this winter...I am tired of having to keep it isolated all the time to avoid any scales spreading to other indoor plants.
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

May 5, 2008
6:45 PM

Post #4910201

Thank goodness, then, that I have never had to deal with scale!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Common Houseplant Pests Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fascinating piece shelair 2 May 5, 2008 6:27 PM
Roses joeyt 1 May 30, 2008 2:35 PM
spraying house plants tutuna 1 Jun 8, 2009 12:42 AM
Invasion of the Mealy Kind & T.Y. PoseyLover 0 Jun 8, 2011 8:35 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America