Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Outwitting Backyard Creatures: Bulbs & Plants They Hate!: Deer Resistant plants always of interest

Communities > Forums > Article: Outwitting Backyard Creatures: Bulbs & Plants They Hate!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Outwitting Backyard Creatures: Bulbs & Plants They Hate!Replies: 1, Views: 97
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2008
3:19 PM

Post #4909356

Hi, toni!

You are very brave to write up a list of such plants for publication! Most of the ones on your list are ignored by the critters in our Ohio garden, but sometimes we notice a few are eaten down to the quick by nighttime marauders!

If you haven't already had a look at it, our DG member, Dr. Roxanne Malé-Brune of Ohio University, has recently published a five year study on deer resistant plants that might be of interest to midwestern and eastern gardeners: http://home.frognet.net/~brune/deer-resistant/home.php

Luckily our local bunny population here has moved on to better 'pickins' elsewhere or into a nice terrine on somebody's cocktail buffet, but the deer continue to dine on the Siberian Iris, bluebells, and some of the others. Not to mention the darned moles/voles who love the liatris roots.

Thanks again for the list of plants. I see a few on there that I haven't tried yet! t.
NE_Gardener
Oxford, NY
(Zone 4b)

September 13, 2010
6:08 AM

Post #8096223

Garden Warriors, Unite!
Deer, when having a hungry winter either eat everything or at least taste the tips, thus ruining many plants.
I do not own a dog and dogs are only allowed out while on leashes in my village. Deer pick up on that little limitation when being chased. I have wished to borrow a friend's dog to tie outside at night but I am afraid it might bark too much and keep the neighbors awake. Maybe a policy of allowing dogs to roam at night once a week would be a good idea?

But I have a cat [see photo] who LOVES to hunt and catch voles. He will sit on the same spot of lawn for a long time and then pounce, seize the creature-- this goes for gophers as well-- and lay the little corpse on the walkway. After a successful day he's lined the catch as a proud display for the admiration for all who pass by. He does not eat his catch or toss them in the air for play. I recommend getting a cat or if you have one allow it to go outside. I feel that the people who do not want cats to go out because they believe they are decimating the bird population are over-reacting. My hunting cat spent his first wild spring and summer outdoors bringing me live birds and butterflies carefully lodged in his soft mouth. Sometimes he would come in the house every 20 minutes with his "gift." I am fortunate that he listens to me. When his hunting juices were too much for him I would make him stay inside. Whenever he brought something inside I would serious scold him to let him know no praise or reward would come. This was his first ever time to be an outside cat (he is adopted) and he has learned. I also do not set out birdfeeders that spill seeds on the ground to tempt him with easy catches. During bird fledging time he must stay inside during the day. This past spring he did bring in a finch and let it fly in the living room! That's all. I am simply saying that it is possible to teach a hunting cat and as one ages it does much less birding. But vole-catching is always encouraged.

Although no single thing works against deer other than uber-tall camp fences, the comment about changing or disrupting the deer paths does seem to work for me. I started a hedge across the front of my house three years ago. Just 28 feet of three foot high soil planted with so-called deer resistant shrubs. This had been right along the tradition deer path from neighbor to neighbor. The first winter and spring everything was at least tasted or worse. And, yes, both rabbits and deer will eat holly. They spit out the leaves and consume the stems.
The shrubs I want to grow into a screen -- sambuca nigra (especially favored by deer) and purple leaf plum-- are now living year 'round in huge wire cages that disappear from sight. Last winter only I saw only one deer track in the snow and no rabbits. I think we have a fox or something around that are taking care of the rabbits.

Thumbnail by NE_Gardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Outwitting Backyard Creatures: Bulbs & Plants They Hate! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
dear little creatures Fitsy 0 May 5, 2008 11:51 AM
take black-eyed susans off your list blackthumb1101 2 Jun 22, 2008 3:03 AM
rabbits eat more on this list! artinthegarden 13 Sep 17, 2010 9:24 AM
Bushy tails, rats on stilts & voles al448789 1 May 6, 2008 1:05 AM
city deer nancydemond 0 May 5, 2008 4:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America