Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Top 10 List of Pests that you might find in your Yard or Garden.: Squash Bugs

Communities > Forums > Article: Top 10 List of Pests that you might find in your Yard or Garden.
bookmark
Forum: Article: Top 10 List of Pests that you might find in your Yard or Garden.Replies: 0, Views: 18
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
eskarp
Albuquerque, NM

May 5, 2008
4:51 PM

Post #4909709

I live in Albuquerque in the valley bordering the Rio Grande. This area has been cultivated for squash for 400+ years. Squash bugs probably arrived here a year after the first cucubit. They take no prisoners. I am the only person I know who can plant zucchini and not have enough fruit for myself much less the neighbors. I continue to plant squash (though I never get any) because it diverts the bugs from the melons and cukes but I would really like to figure out a way to defeat the wretched bugs.

I have tried:
1. Planting after July 1 (no dice---they moved in wholesale, getting not only the squash but the pumpkins).
2. Daily applications of insecticidal soap, Pyola, and various other contact nostrums. This will keep numbers down for a bit but eventually, the bugs triumph and it takes an hour a day to spray the undersides of all the leaves. I have a big garden.
3. Rotenone and pyrethrins. See above.
4. Hand picking all the eggs while squishing every bug I see. Although there's a certain satisfaction in hands-on annihilation of the enemy (and the ants love to haul away---and presumably eat---the fallen), the bugs defeat me one to two weeks after the squash begins to set fruit.
5. An experiment in the front yard, far from my garden, where I actually broke out the Carbaryl on my carefully segregated patch of crookneck. The bugs LOVED the stuff. They seemed healthier and more voracious than the ones in my garden.

I have not tried covering the plants with a barrier because I cannot for the life of me figure out how the bees are gonna pollinate the plants. Getting up at 6 a.m. to allow bees limited access (and I have no reason to believe the squash bugs get up later than the bees) is really not an option for me. Ideas??? I like squash. Help!

Sharon Karpinski

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Top 10 List of Pests that you might find in your Yard or Garden. Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
GOPHERS Kikki 2 Apr 15, 2009 2:17 PM
Japanese Beetles DianeEG 2 May 26, 2008 9:10 PM
I've seen all of them catwatcher 0 May 5, 2008 4:53 PM
Soapy water for aphids gbarthutk 2 Aug 27, 2009 1:15 AM
mosquitos kathyew 0 May 12, 2008 12:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America