Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Outwitting Backyard Creatures: Bulbs & Plants They Hate!: One chipmunk, used-any takers?

Communities > Forums > Article: Outwitting Backyard Creatures: Bulbs & Plants They Hate!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Outwitting Backyard Creatures: Bulbs & Plants They Hate!Replies: 6, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gbarthutk
Knoxville, TN

May 6, 2008
3:47 AM

Post #4912757

Does anyone have suggestions for trying to relocate or just drive off chipmunks? I have one that has turned my property into a replica of the NY subway system. I know the bird feeders are what draws him/her, and for a while the fresh clumps of sunflower sprouts were a change of pace, but now it's either him or me. The dogs are digging up the yard to try to get him, and today I found blanched sunflower sprouts in the crawlspace under the house- he chewed though the foundation vents. Last fall I bought a live trap and baited it with sunflower seeds (his favorite) and have managed to catch this far 1 grackle, 1 warbler, 2 finches, and I am waiting for the partidge in a pear tree. Current score-Chipmunk 4, harried homeowner 0. I don't want to poison him, but even pouring gasoline into a large burrow the dogs found has not discouraged him. I am going to pull out the live trap again, but worry the birds will call the Audobon Society on me;) Any advice is appreciated.
Sofonisba
Beacon, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2008
2:03 AM

Post #4921965

Wish I had advice for you, but reading your post made me have lots of sympathy for you! Ever see "Caddyshack"?
gbarthutk
Knoxville, TN

May 15, 2008
3:47 AM

Post #4953229

Add one sparrow to the list now, and I am about where Bill Murray was in Caddyshack, talking to myself and plotting to excavate with some TNT, just kidding. My wife says no more using the trap, she doesn't want me to kill any birds trying for chipmunk, anyone have some spare TNT?
fays
Chagrin Falls, OH

September 14, 2010
7:56 PM

Post #8099765

My cat died this Spring and I have been overrun with chipmunks this summer. I'm getting another cat! I know you think the cat will eat the birds. I think the cat will be busy chasing chipmunks.
brunsgardens
Brunswick, OH

September 18, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #8106631

We've used the live trap successfully with shelled peanuts for bait. In the past week we've relocated 8 of the little buggers. They or the bunnies ate 22 of my lily plants as soon as they (the lilies, not the chipmunks) popped out of the ground.
Lorra
Indianapolis, IN

September 21, 2010
9:34 PM

Post #8113308

Thanks to all of you. You made my evening. I’m afraid I have about lost my sense of humor re yard pests. My nemesis is MOLES. They make mountains, not mole hills, have tunneled under my shade bed enough that the Hostas are dying of thirst. Bamboo sticks driven underground to create fences worked for a while, then they just went deeper, then the bamboo rotted. The mole traps work frequently, however I no longer have the strength to set them. “Marking my territory” sort of works, makes the grass greener in spots, but the beer consumption to create enough … liquid caused a problem with my negotiating around the property, and the house.
So, now I just scoop up the mountains, pile the soil in a corner for use later to fill in the sink holes. The big rocks and the gnomes thrive nicely in the shade. I have made friends with Earl Squirrel and Charley Chipmunk, and am grateful for the worms that avoid the moles and aerate the soil.
brunsgardens
Brunswick, OH

September 28, 2010
5:38 AM

Post #8125472

Lorra,

Our neighbor whose yard borders our back yard told us all about her "mole chaser" device she put in the ground. It emits annoying sound waves every minute, and supposedly the moles can't stand it. She told us she hasn't seen a mole all summer. Of course not, they all came over to our yard! We just bought a mole chaser too. We'll see what happens.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Outwitting Backyard Creatures: Bulbs & Plants They Hate! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
dear little creatures Fitsy 0 May 5, 2008 11:51 AM
take black-eyed susans off your list blackthumb1101 2 Jun 22, 2008 3:03 AM
rabbits eat more on this list! artinthegarden 13 Sep 17, 2010 9:24 AM
Deer Resistant plants always of interest tabasco 1 Sep 13, 2010 6:08 AM
Bushy tails, rats on stilts & voles al448789 1 May 6, 2008 1:05 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America