Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: "Invisible" Picking: Lovely!

Communities > Forums > Article: "Invisible" Picking
bookmark
Forum: Article: "Invisible" PickingReplies: 14, Views: 52
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2008
10:35 AM

Post #4913209

Larry, great article. And the pictures are stunning. I read that article, I thought that was you, was going to double check and got side tracked, those senior moments are sneaky.
Congratulations on that article, btw it was also great!
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2008
1:04 PM

Post #4913594

Loved your article. I also found the idea of being on the National Registry fascinating. You and your wife must be very special people.

Ann
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 6, 2008
4:44 PM

Post #4914453

I also go through that "dilemma" all the time! Thanks for the inspiration!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2008
9:38 PM

Post #4915668

charming - I wish I was more dedicated to making bouquets! I agree there are many interesting things other than flowers in a typical yard, that can be enjoyed up close.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2008
9:41 PM

Post #4915677

This is a wonderful message, I'll be picking tomorrow morning. Thanks!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2008
2:25 AM

Post #4917069

I snuck some tulips out of the lovely display in my yard (having snuck a peek at this article) but they only lasted a day or two. I'll stick with hydrangea that last for weeks. Lovely idea about using NON-flowers, though - sometimes, I find, that will hold an arrangement together without falling apart, as my more slender bouquets tend to do. Thank you for a lovely peek at your spring!
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2008
3:53 PM

Post #4924050

Thanks to you all for your kind words. It makes writing DG articles a special pleasure. :-)

I'm overwhelmed at the moment with gardening chores (actually they're not a chore, they're a pleasure) after spending the weekend and every day so far this week acquiring plants. The weekend was devoted to Iowa's DG Roundup. Had a GREAT time! My BW and I came home with a car full of plants, then went on a plant safari to all the great garden centers in our area. There we got to spend the gift certificates and plant coupons we won at the roundup. In addition to all that, there were board meetings, banquets, and theater productions to attend. I certainly can't complain that life is boring! LOL Best--Larry ☼
Wandasflowers
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2008
1:20 PM

Post #4940154

Larry,
I too have difficulty cutting spring flowers in my garden. My solution is to plant large clumps of tulips or daffodils so plucking one here or there is never missed.

Looking forward to seeing your garden in person this summer--Wanda
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2008
1:17 AM

Post #4942963

Hi Wanda--I tend to plant spring bulbs in clumps as well. I think they look more natural that way. Every so often I see a spring garden with a single row of daffodils, each bulb planted about six inches apart, .and they look so lost! On the other hand, grape hyacinths densely planted in a single row somehow don't look so bad. Maybe it's because they're lower to the ground and have stalks with flowers in clusters.

Wilma and I are looking forward to your visit!--Larry ☼
Wandasflowers
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2008
2:08 PM

Post #4987739

Just got back from our 10 day motorcycle trip---Knee deep in iris right now. Must be 60 + Dwarfs & Intermediates blooming. Got alot of garden clean up to do before the Iris Tours start.. The early Tall bearded are blooming too--going to be a good year.

Stop over & fall in love! :)

cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2008
2:12 PM

Post #4987759

Larry, I've had a small collection of flowers in the kitchen ever since this article. I've enjoyed them so much, from now on I will pick flowers all the time.
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2008
11:47 PM

Post #4990033

Thanks,Wanda, I'm planning to do just that! Our daughter, Robin, lives in CR and has a hawthorne tree that desparately needs some trimming. I hope to do that soon and will check back with you to see if I can stop over on my way home.
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2008
11:51 PM

Post #4990053

Thanks for letting me know that, Cathy. It's always rewarding for writers to discover that they have brought a bit of cheer or a new perspective to their readers. We keep our bouquets in the kitchen as well. That way we can enjoy them at every meal and on our way through the kitchen to the backyard.
Wandasflowers
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2008
4:05 AM

Post #5008425

Larry, could you dmail me your email address? I'll add you to our local DGer garden tour & outings list... over 150 TB iris in bloom today--looks like peak will be this week with over 200 Tall bearde iris cultivars in bloom. Quite a sight. :)
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2008
5:10 AM

Post #5008609

Many thanks, Wanda. Here it is: rettigs@southslope.net. I'm looking forward to attending as many outings as I/we can. Thanks for the advance notice on the iris. I'll plan to tackle Robin's Hawthorne tree this week. Is there a time/day that works best for you?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: "Invisible" Picking Threads you might be interested in:

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America