Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Ornamental Gourds: Lazy Eufaula's new irrigation system!

Communities > Forums > Ornamental Gourds
bookmark
Forum: Ornamental GourdsReplies: 8, Views: 111
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2008
10:56 AM

Post #4913233

Now dont go and think I'm an old Fall off the mountain Hillbilly with no learnin',...but here is my testing area for the drought surely coming this Summer!
I planted four Apple gourd seeds right where my washing machine drains into the back"40"! I wanted to see if the water there would help to keep my Gourdies going ,when there is no rain for a month at a time! So far the babies are very happy , but we will see!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Click the image for an enlarged view.

brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2008
3:20 PM

Post #4914106

Oh, please keep us posted! This sounds great. I've read in other threads that graywater, from dishwashing, etc., helps plants, and gourds need LOTS of water. My only little concern would be if you wash in hot water, but I suspect it would be cooled down by the time it gets to the gourds. I think it's a great idea. Kudos for being so green, Eufala. Ya old hillbilly.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 10, 2008
1:31 PM

Post #4932337

Well here is the weekly up date!
Babies seem to be very Happy! Hmmm, we are down to three instead of four?????? Havent a clue where it went! the others seem happy though!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 10, 2008
1:38 PM

Post #4932361

Heres the side view. They have actually grown about an inch, and have the first of the secondary leaves starting!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2008
1:53 PM

Post #4932413

I'd say your irrigation system is working pretty good!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 10, 2008
2:06 PM

Post #4932456

So far! Oh and Good morning, Syrumani!
Yep the soil here is all hard hard clay. We finally got a good rain night before last but not enough to soften the earth. But here at the edge of the water drain off from my washer the soil has actually mulched down to a really nice " brown" soil. the lint from the washer has mingled with the clay and made it so nice ! I wouldnt plant vegetables here but flowers and gourds should do nicely.
As you can see the grass does great and I will have to remove a little plot of it, to keep my gourds happy. Oh and yes, I have earth worms here too! They seem to love it! I figure if an earthworm loves an area it must be a pretty good home!
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 13, 2008
8:44 PM

Post #4946463

Absolute truth, Eufala! Few things make me as happy as seeing a worm where I hadn't seen one before. (In the garden, at least...)
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2008
4:14 PM

Post #5285156

Did your gourds keep growing?

Lavina

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2008
2:19 PM

Post #5290110

Hi Lavina, Well Yes and no! LOL!!
As everyone knows I have had quite an Up and Down few months lately, so gardening was just not on my list of things that had to be done! Sadly my gourds were on the list of things put to the side. However, My little gourd plants that were planted by the drain were rescued. They were doing so great , until a varmit decided to use the gourd area as his nightly snuffling trail. My Armidillo Buddy! I cant seem to get rid of him so he has become a nightly visitor and it seems that he has chosen to use my living space as his own. He (or She) has burrowed under the corner of my house!! So now I am having this nightly , noisey , scuffling and snuffling, from the hours of 10 pm to around 1 or 2 am. It doesnt really bother me as much as it bothers my little Chihuahua People, Angel and Mr. Pepito.
Anyway I moved the gourds to a protected area. They had a rough start ,getting acclimated to their new surroundings . So I have babied them and they seem to be doing much better. The place I moved them to isnt as suitable for gourds as the other but it will have to do.
No Photos right now , dead batteries!! LOL!!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Ornamental Gourds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gourd planter (Part 2) Snake Gourd dave 23 Nov 24, 2009 7:32 PM
Mystery gourd Pala 24 Oct 11, 2008 11:52 PM
My Itsie-Bitsie Luffa Ball plant Morph 28 Mar 8, 2008 11:16 PM
Gourdaholic- looking for seeds from Large Gourd from Nigeria Gourd 35 Apr 6, 2009 4:35 PM
Cattle Guards used as arbors/tunnels (has anyone used them) Gourd 21 May 15, 2007 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America