Photo by Melody

Article: Arsenic, Old Lace and Elderberry Wine: Aunt Abby & Aunt Martha were clueless...

Communities > Forums > Article: Arsenic, Old Lace and Elderberry Wine
bookmark
Forum: Article: Arsenic, Old Lace and Elderberry WineReplies: 5, Views: 118
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ottoson
Yucca Valley, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2008
11:05 AM

Post #4913247

If they had been thinking women such as Aunt Karen & Aunt Nanci, they'd have lured lonely old bachelors and secured manual labor with their elderberry jelly!!! I'm hoping the birds will leave you some berries...if your elderberry jelly is anywhere near as tasty as your strawberry jam, I'm in!!!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2008
2:17 AM

Post #4917029

So what kind of jelly do I have to make to get manual labor - do you think I will get anywhere with my cranberry sauce?
aceofclubs
Ionia, MI

June 13, 2011
5:45 AM

Post #8627097

European Black Elder (Sambuca, sp.) flowers are used herbally and quite successfully for lung and throat conditions as a tea or cough drop candy. Elder flower tea is a great anti-bacterial and possibly anti-viral for throat and lung conditions. Elderberry in America is a slightly different and a bit less medicinally successful than Black Elder. Mother warned us, in eating the ripe raw fruit, "You'll be SICK!!" and yes, we did feel a bit nauseaous after eating some. I still feel it after eating elderberry pie. Birds do act a bit delirious, or drunk, after feeding on them. I don't know what the active ingredient is, but it's there. The delicious liqueor, St. Germaine, is highly flavored florally with European Black Elder flowers.
jrny
New York, NY

June 14, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8630746

St. Germaine is DELICIOUS!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

June 29, 2013
7:15 AM

Post #9578463

Well the last time anyone commented was two years ago but still:

Carrie: I had to laugh about the manual labor comment -- yeah, what could get some manual labor out of my family around here - count me in.

Aceofclubs:
You feel something - that is interesting thanks for sharing that personal experience.

I noticed ithis year -- this very month June 13, 2013 Natual News came out with an article that elderberry is the the ultimate in flu cures.

http://www.naturalnews.com/040756_elderberry_flu_shots_vaccines.html

But I did not think about two different kinds - one kind from Europe and the other from the United States.

Do they sell elderberry teas? Seems like I have seen them in the stores before.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 29, 2013
4:55 PM

Post #9579191

If I have a question like that, I just ask Google. If that doesn't work, THEN I consider thinking. :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Arsenic, Old Lace and Elderberry Wine Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Just in time.... Pagancat 1 May 7, 2008 3:19 AM
So who's going to try the catsup?!!! karri_sue 0 May 7, 2008 4:00 AM
Poke Berry WINE recipe? gulie 1 Jun 16, 2011 11:43 PM
Elderberry/Poke berries BeeCharmer13 1 Jun 16, 2011 11:44 PM
Elderberry wine Reynardine 0 Jun 18, 2013 12:30 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America