Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Xeriscape Gardening: Where's the best source of Xeriscape Gardening Seeds?

Communities > Forums > Xeriscape Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Xeriscape GardeningReplies: 4, Views: 199
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sagewoodfarm
Benton City, WA
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2008
11:39 AM

Post #4913323

It's been a few years since I've been on Dave's garden. I'm wondering if there is any new sources of seed for those of us who aren't retailers for Xeriscape seeds. I mean a source that just carries Xeriscape? Or do any of you have a list of them all and where one can find their seeds? Several years ago you could main just buy plants unless you were talking about herbs.
Just wondered if things have changed any?

Thanks.
ultasol
Kennewick, WA

January 21, 2010
1:28 AM

Post #7480672

Hello fellow SE Washingtonian!

I too am wondering where to get some seed for xeric plants for zone 6. If you find any particularly good suppliers, please let me know.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2010
1:47 AM

Post #7480714

I've been happy with seeds from Plants of the Southwest http://www.plantsofthesouthwest.com/ They're in a warmer climate than you are so you'll have to doublecheck hardiness before ordering, but I'm sure they'll have some things that would work for you.
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2010
5:28 PM

Post #7482154

You can get seeds from Alplains and Rocky Mountain Rare Plants. Both are on the web and are collectors of native plants.

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2010
1:47 PM

Post #7485043

The book "Xeriscape Colorado" has lists of recommended annuals, biennials, and wildflowers you can grow from seed. If your Library doesn't have it, ask if they can get it in interlibrary loan. Check it against Washington's list of noxious and invasive weeds - what is a wonderful wildflower in one part of the U.S. can be a real pest elsewhere.

I use Plants of the Southwest and now I will have to try Alplains and Rocky Mountain Rare Plants.

http://www.wildseedfarms.com/ in Texas sells Wildflower mixes for various parts of the country (may contain non-natives). What I like about their catalog is that it has pictures of the seedling when it sprouts so you will know what is what, and what is weed.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Xeriscape Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Favorite TOUGH Xeriscape plants michele5000 80 Apr 27, 2009 1:37 AM
How do you all start your seeds (Blanket flower, etc.) Gourd 12 Feb 26, 2008 12:54 AM
Perennials for Xeriscaping, Zone 7 (and zones 2-11) cherishlife 107 Jul 24, 2008 9:51 PM
Where do you get them at? MitchF 25 Aug 4, 2008 5:09 PM
Agastache seeds MQN 13 Dec 16, 2007 7:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America