Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Xeriscape Gardening: Question about Lawn that require less water

Communities > Forums > Xeriscape Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Xeriscape GardeningReplies: 4, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sagewoodfarm
Benton City, WA
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2008
11:44 AM

Post #4913333

Hi,
I was just talking to a local Landscaper and he said that seed for Lawn that take less water are all invasive varieties that many states don't encourage. I sure wouldn't want to plant grasses like that. Yes they might not need as much water but when they take over whole states and everyone is putting poison on their lawns to try and get rid of them and they don't work, all it does is pollute our water sources. That doesn't seem like a very good way of being good stewards of the Earth to me. Don't mean to be polictial but it is a real concern for me.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2008
2:20 PM

Post #4913877

I'm definitely not a lawn expert, but I doubt that all low water lawns are invasive and the ones that are, are probably only a problem in certain areas. The trouble is some things that get by on less water will grow much more aggressively if they get more water than what they need to survive, so if you take a grass that would be a nice low-water lawn in the West where we don't get as much rain and move it to the midwest or the south where the natural rainfall is much higher, maybe it could be invasive, but in a drier climate it'll behave fine as long as you don't give it more water than it needs. And if you can do your lawn with grasses that are native to your area then you definitely shouldn't run into problems with invasiveness.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 6, 2008
9:25 PM

Post #5064521

From what I have been told, Tall Fescues are offenders in California and other seedy grasses too. The ones that go to seed blow in all your planters.

Some blends have only male or female plants so they don't seed.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2008
4:20 AM

Post #5066379

If you mow regularly that should avoid a lot of problems with seeding where you don't want it to.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 8, 2008
6:36 AM

Post #5070923

Yeah but who can guarantee that? Not me.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Xeriscape Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Favorite TOUGH Xeriscape plants michele5000 80 Apr 27, 2009 1:37 AM
How do you all start your seeds (Blanket flower, etc.) Gourd 12 Feb 26, 2008 12:54 AM
Perennials for Xeriscaping, Zone 7 (and zones 2-11) cherishlife 107 Jul 24, 2008 9:51 PM
Where do you get them at? MitchF 25 Aug 4, 2008 5:09 PM
Agastache seeds MQN 13 Dec 16, 2007 7:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America