Question about pinching back

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

The JM Peaches and Cream that I bought last year is growing sooo big! Is doubled in size this year from last (photos in next couple of posts). It's almost four feet around now and looks to still be growing. It is the left most maple in this photo.

Is it OK to pinch the branches back? When would it be best to do so? On bonsai, they do it to shorten the internode length between the leaf sets, and I think that is done in the late Spring or early Summer.

I had hoped to keep this one next to my front door for a year or two, but it almost won't fit there now!

Thumbnail by largosmom

Here is a pic of it in it's space on the opposite side of the steps prior to leafing out.

Thumbnail by largosmom

Here is a current pic. It's losing its Spring blush and going green at the moment.

It started centered in the old planter bed, which is about three feed wide. I moved it almost to the front edge of the bed and it's now brushing the wall with its growth.

Laura

Thumbnail by largosmom
Dahlonega, GA

that is one nice tree, where did you buy it from

Thanks, I like it a lot too!

I purchased it locally last year. There is a local nursery in my area that normally carries about 50 varieties of Japanese Maple and they change from year to year. I saw a small one leafing out early last spring, but it was more than what I could afford. I bought this one late in spring after it already had leafed out, so I missed the spring show.

Laura

Dahlonega, GA

it sure is branched a lot .

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.