Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Addicted to Blue Pots: I Love Blue Pots

Communities > Forums > Article: Addicted to Blue Pots
bookmark
Forum: Article: Addicted to Blue PotsReplies: 30, Views: 113
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2008
12:55 AM

Post #4916551

Carrie
I too love blue pots and I only have about 3. I am wanting to get paint and do more blue ones but sometimes wonder if blue pots really match my color scheme but what the heck does it really matter. I loved this article.
DiggerDee
Ffld County, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2008
1:28 AM

Post #4916709

I can't believe you wrote this article! I could have written it! I adore blue pots. But I guess I'm still fighting it somewhat. I pick up a blue pot in the store, and struggle with my inner voice - "Do you really need another blue pot? How about that nice sage green one over there? Or maybe a nice red pot? You already have 20 blue pots..."

In the end the blue pot usually ends up coming home with me, lol. Glad to see I'm not the only one with this obsession!

Thanks for an enjoyable article.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2008
2:05 AM

Post #4916934

Oh, Digger, don't fight it, work with it! Do you take them all inside for the winter? Jo-Ann Fabric had some great sales last year right about this time of year!

Indynanny, Oh, please, before you paint anything, either follow Melody's advice (referenced above) carefully or try outdoor latex paint on bare terra cotta - no guarantees, though!
DiggerDee
Ffld County, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2008
3:03 AM

Post #4917275

Well, Carrie, I fight it but it always wins anyway, lol. That's why I have about 20 blue pots! (and counting!)

I bring most of the pots into the garage in winter. However, I do have several blue plastic pots, some bought that way, and other painted by me. I use the Krylon spray paint, and it has worked very well for me. A few coats and that's it. The pots are about three years old and still looking pretty good - and I have to admit that I left about three of the painted ones outside in the elements this winter, and there seems to be no harm done.

I also have some of the "foam" pots. These look great, and I've found them in great styles and designs, but I find they don't hold up that well. I tend to dig into them with my trowel and they dent/rip easily. But that won't stop me from buying a nice blue one when I see it, lol!
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2008
5:40 PM

Post #4919701

Digger and Carrie
You guys are lucky to have all those blue pots!!
I am hoping to follow the article when I get to painting. How about painting those "foam" pots they are terra cotta looking with blue paint. Sounds good to me. I have several of those and they do get to looking ratty after a few years. Hope I don't 'weenie' out and not do the painting. Now where is my Wal-Mart list?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2008
6:41 PM

Post #4919966

And if you have enough of them, they are your color scheme! I'm not sure what pots you mean, though, Indy, but I would do what Melody says in her article, which I DIDN'T do.
DiggerDee
Ffld County, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2008
7:33 PM

Post #4920192

Indynanny, I've never painted foam pots, so I'm not sure how to go about it or what paint or process to use. I just buy the blue foam pots all ready to go!

Don't weenie out, lol (love that saying, btw!)!! Go for it!
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2008
12:54 AM

Post #4921570

I guess they are not foam but some kind of pressed plastic. You know the ones that look expensive but on further investigation they are really lightweight usually found at the $Store. I'm going to Wal-Mart tomorrow and look for my paint. Will let you all know how they turn out.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2008
12:55 AM

Post #4921581

I can't wait - pictures, please, too!
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2008
12:10 PM

Post #4923086

Don't know how to do pictures and have to get a camera. You see I just last year got a computer and a cell phone. I am hoping to get a camera this year. I will have to get my grand daughter to teach me the way to do them if I can get her away from all her sports.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2008
7:55 PM

Post #4924973

LOL I wish my kids would DO some sports! Actually one of them does a lot of dance, and the other a lot of dancing in front of the mirror. ^_^ But that generation IS the one to turn to for assistance with technological matters.
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 9, 2008
12:16 AM

Post #4925962

Went to wallyworld today and got a can of bright blue Krylon. I have a sort of large vase that a large arrangement came in when DH's step father passed several years ago. I have been saving it for such a time as this... I'm going to paint it and put a 'Margarita' sweet potato vine in a small pllastic pot and put it in the vase. Some major color is going to be going on...Does that sound good or what? I also got some of the hammered gray or black and I am going to paint some garden statues that the paint is peeling off of. If I am successful I am also going to get bronze or copper? can't remember; and paint some large urn like pots that the finish is also peeling off of.
I eyed every blue pot in Wal-mart today. They have some nice ones. Now I think I may become an addict.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2008
1:09 AM

Post #4926254

Watch out - it can happen to you too. In fact i think it might have!
PaulFromAL
Piedmont, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2008
8:26 PM

Post #4937567

OK, I have no choice but to jump right in too...I LOVE BLUE POTS...My wife gave me a call one day and said, "hey I'm at a place that is going out of business and they got these blue pots, how about me getting them for us?"...Now until that phone call all of our pots are either brown, beige, tan or a variation on any of those colors...So what we got ourselves is anything but blue...but I trust my wife's judgement implicitly, which is why I said, "Don't buy anything yet, let me go over there with you tomorrow and we'll look at them together"...Might not be there tomorrow she says, I say, its nearly closing time now Angel they'll be there tomorrow morning...Well tomorrow morning comes and we walk in the door of the store, my wife and me...I see right there in the floor 3 BEAUTIFUL cobalt blue pots...have I seen cobalt blue pots before? Of course I have, but for whatever reason I've never really "seen" them till then...I'm paying for all three pots now but ask my wife to guard the door in case someone comes in to buy the blue pots before I can get the check made out...I could go on and on about how much I love blue pots now thanks to my wife but I'll just post the picture to verify my story, keep your checkbook in your purse or pocket these are already taken...:)

http://gallery.mac.com/sinai/100056/DSCF2218.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12105373780002

Paul from Alabama

This message was edited May 11, 2008 3:27 PM
DiggerDee
Ffld County, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2008
9:40 PM

Post #4937788

LOL, Paul, you are too funny. Blue pots are definitely my weak point. But what's not to love? You can put any color flower in them and they look great!
PaulFromAL
Piedmont, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2008
9:54 PM

Post #4937861

Howdy DiggerDee...I agree about the color ranges but orange is my favorite...Them California poppies get to opening up and blooming in front of that blue pot when the sun comes out...I tell you that combination pops so sometimes I think that pot is going to jump up right outta that border and in my lap...:)

Paul from Alabama

Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2008
10:20 PM

Post #4937939

Ha I love that about jumping into your lap...I have some CA poppy seed and just got a mental picture of my blue vase(urn) and sweert potato vine wirth CA poppies in front of it.
Are those annual or perennial? The poppies!! I mean. I am really planning to put it in my red,white,and blue bed for this year but if I get the poppies going for next year that sounds like a good combo. Still thinking about the georgeous ones at Wally World. Blue pots I mean. I have a real urge today to explain everything I am typing as this sounds just like I talk and I am usually hard to follow.LOL BTW the weather here today is yukky!!
PaulFromAL
Piedmont, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2008
10:47 PM

Post #4938043

Indynanny...They are if I'm not mistaken annual here...but they reseed like my brother-in-law that has 12 kids...:)
I let them come up where they may, if I don't think they belong some where they are easy enough to pull up...One other thing while we're talking about blue and orange...I got me a half moon circle of 'Black & Blue' salvia guaranitica and I planted some orange cosmos in front of it...I tell you when them two things are blooming together you better run for cover if you ain't got your sunglasses on...:)...but no joke, it's really lovely I think...

Indynanny...You are explaining everything as you type and it sounds just like you talk...You are absolutely incoherent and make no sense whatsoever and further more...You sound just like me...:)

Paul from Alabama
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2008
1:40 AM

Post #4938787

Maybe we are kin. As I read your post I thought this guy and I are on the same page. Don't you just love 'Black and Blue'?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2008
2:09 AM

Post #4938888

My BATHROOM is blue with orange accents! It does NOT look like Howard Johnson's used to, rather terribly classy and modern and messy, of course. But cobalt blue and a certain southwestern sort of orange - or definitely the orange of California poppies - really set each other off perfectly to my eye. I got a blue strawberry pot the other day, 50% off. I'm really hooked.

Carrie
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2008
2:28 AM

Post #4938967

Where did you find a blue strawberry pot and what will go in it. I have 3 and they are all full of hen and chicks just because of the no water issue. Did you see the article on planting them so you can water? I don't remember who did it but it was not too long ago.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2008
2:51 AM

Post #4939069

It was at Joann Fabrics, I did see the article but I was so excited and eager that I didn't do it the right way!! I'm not sure it's made the right way, either ... it's just a blue pot with some side holes, but they're not very substantial. I put a creeping sedum in one, vinca in one, portulaca in one and something else in the middle but I can't remember what! My kids were "helping" so we'll see how it turns out - if anything even survived the night!!!

Go up to "guides and information" at the top and click on that tab and then there'll be a list on the right and I think "articles" is first on the list, so click on that, then there's a search box that appears so type "strawberry pot" in there and see what you get!
PaulFromAL
Piedmont, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2008
3:12 AM

Post #4939146

Indynanny...Yes I love 'Black & Blue' but what I want to know is...Where were you at the last reunion?...:)

carrie...I saw one of those in White Flower Farm's or Jackson Perkin's catalog, I forget but I really liked the cobalt strawberry planter, was thinking of checking them out possibly locally as something my wife could grow some herbs in maybe...

Paul from Alabama
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2008
12:56 PM

Post #4940095

I just remembered that one of my blue pots is sort of a strawberry style(I had a duh moment that lasted several hours yesterday) It is about 12 inches tall and has 3 side pockets and a top so I plant a big plant; this year a red geranium;in the top and alyssum in the three sides.
I'm going to have to check Joann's when I can get to my bigger town Columbus.
Paul I think my invitation got lost in the mail.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2008
7:53 PM

Post #4941675

Indy, that might be the same pot - these pockets are not staggered vertically that I can remember. It's raining today - I don't mind the rain but the wheelchair might short circuit!!! (That would not be good.)

Carrie
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2008
11:38 PM

Post #4942490

Carrie don't get you and your chair wet. I enjoy your articles too much.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2008
11:44 PM

Post #4942517

Thank you. (Big grin!)

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 29, 2009
2:40 AM

Post #7218943

My backyard has a theme; bleu, blanc et rouge. A nod to the French vegetable garden, the potager, and all countries having those colours in their flag.
Yep, blue pots are high on my list too... Nice article Carrie!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2009
10:32 PM

Post #7221583

Thank you, thank you. (Was it a fun random article today?) Bleu, blau, blue, azul, azur, it's all lovely to me.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 30, 2009
3:38 PM

Post #7223717

I don't know if it was a fun random article; I just typed in blue pots and there you were!
But I do know it was a fun article! ;-)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2009
7:05 PM

Post #7224266

Well, thank you! ^_^

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Addicted to Blue Pots Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Potted insanity... podster 3 May 7, 2008 2:09 PM
Congratulations... ottoson 1 May 6, 2008 10:08 PM
Anything can be a pot Shellsort 1 May 12, 2008 7:29 PM
painting clay pots elmerfudd 1 Jul 15, 2009 5:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America