Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

MEGATRON Redwood Giants / The Wild Trees

Beaverton, OR

This is a bit different twist on redwoods.

Any chance any of you have read The Wild Trees? Heard of the Lost Monarch, Del Norte Titan or Iluvatar redwood Titans?

I've been exploring and photographing 2 major redwood TITAN groves in north California - undisclosed groves. Atlas Grove with Iluvatar, and Grove of Titans with Lost Monarch.

The page for these largest known redwoods, and images is:

http://www.mdvaden.com/grove_of_titans.shtml

Images online are very hard to find, so I assembled a bunch of images.

The photos are full view images of the trees from ground level. My album #2 has larger ones. If anyone has a project, I've got files for poster size upon request. I'm going to make a poster for my new office after we move.

The one thing I'll miss most when we move to Beaverton from south Oregon next week, is hiking in the redwoods every few weeks. At least I made the most of it.

This message was edited May 8, 2008 3:29 PM

Thumbnail by mdvaden
Charleston, WV

All I can say is WOW!

Now that is someting I would like to see in person!!!

Beaverton, OR

If you like the images that much, keep visiting and share the page with friends. It's still young on the web, and has a ways to go. One of the most concentrated terminal hubs for redwood images available.

Some interesting redwood photos are very obscure on the internet - out of the ordinary - and I'll be linking to them whenever I find one. There's a lot of images within the text links. One of my favorites is the "heart of Posiedon" by Dunklin. The sensor mounting images are interesting too.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Awesome photo, Our next vacation is to northern california and a trip to the Redwood National Forest. Not sure when that will be. but WE know where we're going LOL

Beautiful. Makes me want to go even more.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Very nice and informative site. Did I miss it or did you not find any of the albino trees? Their locations are even more protected than the giants and really good photos of them are hard to find also.

Beaverton, OR

Update ...

Never did reply to Zanymuse's post ... ooops ...

So far, have not seen any albino redwoods. I think I know who to ask, but haven't got around to it.

Since my last reply, I located Stratosphere Giant in Rockefeller Forest - that used to be the tallest redwood. Now the 4th tallest.

And this winter, found Hyperion, the currently known tallest redwood tree.

Plus some odds and ends. Like a distance shot of this redwood called Bunyan's Pitchfork in the Valley of the Lost Groves.

Thumbnail by mdvaden
Lafayette, LA

Check out this huge weird looking tree!

Thumbnail by GardenMan01
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Ha! Now isn't that thing strange. Cool!

( Kris) Smiths, AL(Zone 8a)

What kind of tree is that??
Kris

Edgefield, SC

There is an audio tape, like books on tape , available at ABE BOOKS. I just bought one set for about $15. Used. It is the most EXCITING thing you've ever listened to.
Hoddy

Beaverton, OR

hoddygarden replied about "an audio tape" and it took a while for it to sink in, what they meant. An audio tape of The Wild Trees - yes?

Just visited the Trees of Mystery lately too. I told someone about it, and they went there to measure it. They said it appears to be the largest coast redwood known, on private land. Trees of Mystery just knows that its really big like the sign says. They also have one of the best private collections of native Indian artifacts, in a museum that is free admission. At the gift shop.

They added the gondola ride up the hill, a few years ago.

Thumbnail by mdvaden
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I cannot even fathom how big a redwood tree is.

New York, NY

North of Kent presents the beauty of Canterbury and Whitstable and south presents the famous Romney coastline. Marlie Farm caravan and camping site has a great location beside New Romney coast with a beach less than a mile away. Most of the Kent Parks have facilities that come with indoor pool and welcoming clubhouse. New Beach caravan and camping site is yet another Kent caravan park that is situated in a great setting on the Romney coast near Dymchurch. Visitors can spend some time in the park's friendly clubhouse that offers a regular entertainment programme.

http://www.caravanmarket.com.au>caravan parks

This message was edited Feb 25, 2011 3:57 PM

This message was edited Feb 25, 2011 3:58 PM

FU, United States(Zone 9b)

GardenMan, that tree with holes in it's trunk almost looks like a Sycamore tree, except Sycamore trees don't usually get holes in their trunks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.