Photo by Melody

Article: Top Australian Trees: #2 Tropical Queensland: Whatatrees!

Communities > Forums > Article: Top Australian Trees: #2 Tropical Queensland
bookmark
Forum: Article: Top Australian Trees: #2 Tropical QueenslandReplies: 8, Views: 45
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

May 8, 2008
5:20 AM

Post #4922635

Hey Ian,
Real nice again, seems like next time I go to Australia I'll have to travel up North and make sure I bring my tree climbing gear, the Araucaria sounds like a good one to get some nice view.
I do grow a Macadamia in my garden, I has a seed a few years ago and now it grew up nicely and bears those delicious nuts, yummy!
JJ
GranvilleSouth

(Zone 10a)

May 8, 2008
5:27 AM

Post #4922644

Hey JJ,
Macadamias are nice fresh hey? How quick did your tree grow up & start fruiting?
I was about to mail you about something you'll find interesting.
Ian
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2008
11:23 AM

Post #4922952

Ian! What a great article! Not only do I want to travel to Australia and see all these wonders first hand, I'm even trying to imagine which of these I could possibly grow here, in some fashion... :-) I noticed you mentioned bonsai... hmmm...

Thanks for a beautifully written, well organized article!
GranvilleSouth

(Zone 10a)

May 8, 2008
12:46 PM

Post #4923190

Thanx Jill. Let me know when you are coming over. I'll take you on a tour.
The brachychitons are bonsai material. They are real tough & can take tonnes of repotting. I've had b. rupestri seedlings dug up, knocked over, you name it & they always survive. I can get you seeds if you want them. They sprout easy too.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2008
1:06 PM

Post #4923276

Oh, gosh... I'm visiting my folks today, and they've traveled to both Australia and Africa (where there are also bottle trees, I think)... Mom says she would absolutely adore a B. rupestri bonsai, and I'd love to try to start one for her. Is there any chance of trying B. acerifolius seeds also, or should I look for a plant source rather than a seed source for that one?

I'll Dmail you to figure out postage/trade/etc. Thanks, Ian! You're a gem. :-)
GranvilleSouth

(Zone 10a)

May 8, 2008
1:20 PM

Post #4923330

I can get both. I need to get some acerifolius seed anyway. They don't sprout as easily but they make beautiful trees. There are about 4 "bottle" brachychitons but all the kurrajongs are fat really. b. discolor for example, is like a cross between acerifolius & rupestri. All of them are beautiful I reckon.
The African ones are probably African baobabs, though there would be heaps of fat trees over there. The baobabs are in the adansonia genus, which is in the mallow family with cotton & hibiscus. I have seeds for both Australian & African baobabs if you want them.
Ian
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2008
11:36 PM

Post #4925745

I will do my darndest to sprout and grow anything you send me, Ian! Both foliage and flowers of acerfolius just sounded too wonderful to resist... but "easy to grow" has its definite appeal, too. :-)

I think Mom would be equally delighted with either an Australian or an African baobab. I will have to find something delightful to send you in return! What are the import restrictions on plants? I have an extra 1 year old Adenium seedlings that would probably ship well since it's barely coming out of winter dormancy... Well, we can figure out those details via Dmail!

Thanks, Ian!
GranvilleSouth

(Zone 10a)

May 9, 2008
1:41 AM

Post #4926460

OK. I'll mail u

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

May 9, 2008
12:26 PM

Post #4927907

Hey Ian,
It took some six or seven years from Macadamia nut to Macadamia tree bearing nuts itslef, probably would have grown faster if it was not shaded by some huge forets tree from Uganda I finally had to log down...real good nuts for sure.
JJ

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Top Australian Trees: #2 Tropical Queensland Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great phicks 1 May 8, 2008 1:01 PM
Finding a tree s_h_a_r_k_ 0 Dec 8, 2008 2:20 PM
seed availability katiebear 0 Oct 7, 2012 2:07 PM
Australian Trees arnotts 0 Oct 8, 2012 3:32 PM
Australian rainforest trees GardenEzi 5 Nov 26, 2012 9:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America