Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Peppers: fertilizer for EB peppers?

Communities > Forums > Peppers
bookmark
Forum: PeppersReplies: 14, Views: 116
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
thistle5
Alexandria, VA
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2008
9:13 PM

Post #4925258

This year, I'm going to use one of my EBs just for peppers- I'm thinking 3 holy mole, 2 thai hot, & 1 Caribbean hot. In other spots in the yard, I have 2 more thai hot, serrano, habanero, & poblano, -still hoping that Biker Billy jalapenos will show up at the garden center.
What would be a good fertilizer to use?-Espoma garden-tone? Do peppers need extra lime, like tomatoes?
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 9, 2008
2:04 AM

Post #4926621

I didn't use lime last year. Fertilizer was whatever comes with an earthbox (a non-organic 7-7-7 I think). This year I'm using Garden Tone. Did find I could get 8 Jimmy Nardello Peppers in one earthbox rather than the recommended 6. Production was very heavy--better than the ones I planted in the dirt.

Thumbnail by David_Paul
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 12, 2008
11:57 PM

Post #4942582

For peppers I'm using 8-8-8. For tomatos 10-10-10. Peppers seem to need lower strength fertilizer. I take a soil test of my EBs before adding lime. This year I will add a little Milorganite organic fertilizer for its mineral content. Never used it before but I use the same mix in the EB for tomatos and tomatos are gluttons so I figured I'd try.
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 13, 2008
1:02 AM

Post #4942888

TPlant...I was looking for a higher proportion of N-P-K but all I could find around here in finely ground fertilizer (and its not as fine as what came with the EB) was a 4-6-6 from Espoma. I assume I simply use more. Correct?
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 13, 2008
12:41 PM

Post #4944559

D-P == According to EB people for organic one should use three cups in place of two cups of chemical fertilizer. I was at Lowes the other day and saw some organic fertilizer of 7-7-7. Don't worry about it being finely ground as it will break down slowly as you would want it to do...
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 13, 2008
2:34 PM

Post #4944969

Tplant...I've got plenty of plain old generic 10-10-10. The multicolored stuff with split pea sized pellets. That would work then I assume.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 13, 2008
6:19 PM

Post #4945953

Perfectly! That is my old reliable standby! My shed could not do without a 40 lb sack. Always have one on the side for tomatos, brussel sprouts, cucumbers, okra, melons, etc. Peas, stringbeans and all types of legumes like a low nitrogen content including peppers according to my experience. My peppers will be going out in my EBs soon so I'l show you how they like the Vigoro 8-8-8 that I use.
oldude
New Iberia, LA

May 13, 2008
8:13 PM

Post #4946372

I added 2 cups of 13-13-13 to my bell peppers. Too much?
Oldude
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 13, 2008
11:45 PM

Post #4947253

Not necessarily! You will have good growth but perhaps and I say perhaps not as many peppers. It all depends on your mix if it was fresh and contained fertilizer. For hot peppers it doesn't seem to matter what you use. However, Bell peppers are a little trickier as per my experience. I'm growing the big bells, red and green this year in addition to the Nu-Mex varieties.
oldude
New Iberia, LA

May 14, 2008
12:39 AM

Post #4947494

Thanks Tplant
I used Tapla’s container mix and it does seem to work well, but I have had problems with some brown leaf spots disease that killed a few plants. Even with a weekly spray program of fungicide, the loses were about 40%. I have since replanted and they are doing fine now.
Oldude
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 14, 2008
1:20 PM

Post #4949503

Good to hear! Keep us informed and perhaps you had fertilizer burn caused by placing the fertilizer to close to the plants?? ?? Do you have the real EBs?? If not what do you use??
oldude
New Iberia, LA

May 14, 2008
5:05 PM

Post #4950452

I have home made EBs constructed with the 14 gallon inside an 18 gallon container and 4 bell peppers in each. Could be that the fertilizer was too close to a couple of them since the stem did turn black. The others look just like the picture that Dean_W just posted.
I may still have issues with these EBs since the peppers are not doing as well as those in my open containers where I am using a cow manure compost and peat.
I may remove the top plastic film and fertilizer strip on a couple to see if treating them like open containers would make a difference. Would this be an option?
Thanks Oldude
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 14, 2008
7:01 PM

Post #4950902

oldude -- I can't give you much advice on the homemade EBs (HEBs) as some work and some don't! I have the real ones and have never been disappointed. I do believe, as you stated, the fertilizer was probably to close. Removing the cover would defeat the entire purpose of ebs. If that is the case than you may as well stick with open containers. The cover is to prevent weeds and keep in moisture thus promoting growth.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2008
1:16 PM

Post #4963980

Even with the cover removed, you'd still have self-watering reservoir, though...
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 17, 2008
2:23 PM

Post #4964192

True but the sun would evaporate the moisture of the exposed portion of the soil. This is the reason for using mulch in an open container to eliminate weeds and keep in moisture. The water would otherwise evaporate much more rapidly when uncovered thus requiring more frequent watering and increasing stress for the plant which would inhibit production and quality. You can tell I don't believe in most HEBs although some do work! I prefer the real patented EBs for appearence, production, quality, ease of carefree gardening and most important quality of their construction. No, I am not associated with the EB people but just a very happy EB'er...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America