Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Sweet Pepper Row

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm kinda proud of the sweet peppers I started from critterologist's seeds. I ended up planting them in one 33' row east-to-west on the south side of my corn where they'll get plenty of sun. They've been in the garden almost a week now, and they're 18" apart, 23 plants. I worked a light dose of 10-10-10 fertilizer into the row before transplanting.

I decided not to stagger them in the row because hand-weeding to me is like kryptonite to Superman - I like to get in there close with a tiller.

We had 3 more inches of rain yesterday and last night, and I can hardly get in the garden today. I've got my corn seed, but the garden's going to have to dry out before I can plant it. There's more rain predicted.

I've found the standard wire tomato cages are 'way too small for tomatoes, but I had enough of them for every other pepper plant. I'll string cords in between to tie the rest of them up. I think they're doing good.

Thumbnail by Ozark
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Looking really good Ozark. I wish mine were so healthy. They are a pitiful bunch this year. Here's the bed before mulching. They've been there almost a week.

Thumbnail by beclu727
none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

That looks great Oz ! wow
I havin't gotten mine out yet . Wish i could but weather is just not cooperating darn it . :(
I hope to get them out next week.
looks great
beclu have you grown them there before and had success ?
My Jimmy Nardelos are not looking to great either. i did them all the same ?

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

I grew both peppers and tomatoes there last year. They did fine for the most part, until the drought. My main problem is the seedlings aren't good. The ones I started didn't do well this year. Half of them died before I could transplant them. And some of them have died after. I added compost to the bed before planting and they are now mulched. I also put in a drip hose. I think enough will survive to give me a good crop.
I started 10 Jimmy Nardellos and none survived. Same with Carmen. So I don't have very many sweet ones. I hope the Joe E Parker aren't too hot so I can kinda substitute. LOL

My JN are still small. they just don't seem to want to grow , then they get a little blast of growth then nothing for weeks.
I didn't have much luck with Gypsy. i have a few but lost the others . :(
Peppers are tricky i think. I am hoping they survive the night out , i have been hardening them off and am hoping they make it throught tonight rain and wind.
Hope your goes well
Have you tried a foliar spray ? on them ? i was looking into one and am still thinking about it.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

I ordered some messenger and will spray them after this much needed rain passes. I had a sample packet last year, but used in on tomatoes. This year the tomatoes are doing great, so it goes on the peppers.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

My main problem this year has been snails. I have gone to a heavily mulched, no till set up in my beds and some of them have been a haven for snails.

Othern than that, they are doing well. Have to post some pics later.

Beclu:

I may have some plants you can have. Dmail me if you're interested and I'll see what I have and let you know. Mine came along slowly too them they took off all of a sudden.

BB

Glad to say that mine survived the wind storm and rain
funny the look bigger !!
BB do you do the beer in the pie tin trick for them ? I remember my dad always snail hunting at night with a flash light ,iwth a coffee can and salt.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

No Taynors.

These are way smaller than the slugs we had to deal with in NY. I really had to do a close inspection to see what was eating them.

I just sprayed with some neem oil as a first step

BB

aaaahhh gotcha
i know those little buggers are hard . The small ones seem to make more damage than the reg size snail ? lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.