Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: How to grow green onions

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 16, Views: 258
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
chili340
Greenville, PA

May 9, 2008
1:49 AM

Post #4926527

I want to grow some green onions to pick and eat. At the seed store they have the little bulbs and the little green plants. Which do I use? Thanks
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2008
11:45 AM

Post #4927789

either one will work. just pick them young. The sets will be more pungent, but usually a little quicker to green up. The plants will usually do better if you want to grow mature onions.
growingup
Tucson, AZ

May 9, 2008
2:32 PM

Post #4928404

I've tried growing them from seed so many times and it just never worked for me. However, I have the best luck just putting the root end of one I've bought from the grocery store into the ground. Within a week, I have a new green onion. I've cut and reused from the same green onion a couple of times before too.
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 9, 2008
4:25 PM

Post #4928911

I planted onion sets in 'my' garden a couple of days ago and I didn't know whether to just drop them in the dirt or stand the bulb upright. Most of the time I'm obsessive, and tend to do things the hard way, so that's what I did...stood every single one upright before I covered them with dirt.

Since I have a bad knee that was HARD on the back, but after I eat the first onion of the season, I'm thinking it won't matter.

What should I have done?

growingup
Tucson, AZ

May 10, 2008
6:03 PM

Post #4933252

I stand mine up making sure that the top part of the onion is a little above the soil. Don't know if that is the correct way to do it, but it works for me.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2008
6:12 PM

Post #4933266

Gowinup is right on the money. Usually if the soil is in good shape, You can just poke them straight into the ground.
matersntaters
San Antonio, TX

May 14, 2008
8:23 PM

Post #4951156

So you mean if I go to my grocery store & buy a regular white onion, I can plant the whole onion or cut off the root end and plant it & I'll have a green onion? If so I'm heading straight to the store.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 14, 2008
9:07 PM

Post #4951353

Not a great way to do it, but if you only want tops without bulbs, it will usually work. I prefer a litlle onion on my green onion.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 14, 2008
9:12 PM

Post #4951367

plant eqyptian walking onions and you will have more green onions than you can ever use!
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 15, 2008
12:23 PM

Post #4954010

What about from seeds? I have a pkg of seeds ( a gift ) and I don't know whether it's worth the try.
WICKED_ZOEYGIRL
Brooklyn, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2008
3:30 PM

Post #4954984

I'm doing green onions from seed and they're doing ok right now. My biggest problem with them is distinguishing the new onions from grass! So now, whenever I weed that part of the garden I take a tip of the leaf first and nibble it. I can tell pretty quick if it's an onion or grass! (grass tastes nasty btw)

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2008
7:49 PM

Post #4965278

LOL Wicked, what a fun visual of you nibbling your way through the garden. I can just see your DH or mom or whoever coming in and saying, "I think a rabbit has been eating the tops off the onions" and you answering, "No, that was me." ROFL

Hey, how's your rhubarb quest going? Did you ever go swipe some? Did it transplant OK? I just made my first rhubarb crisp of the year, and thought of you.

WICKED_ZOEYGIRL
Brooklyn, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 13, 2008
2:12 PM

Post #5097682

Oh how sweet! Thank you, no, I never did get a transplant, with all the rain we got by the time I felt confident with what I was doing the rhubarb was already up. It's not much of a hardship however, because our in-laws are all but throwing rhubarb at us! I'll make sure to get some next year though!
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 13, 2008
4:23 PM

Post #5098440

seeds did NOT work for me. I think I planted them too deep.

i'm sticking with onion sets.

next I want to grow shallots!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2008
10:54 PM

Post #5100182

Nann i love shallots
i got some and have them in the garden . I have no idea what i m doing but i have yet to find them in the store ? so i decided to grow them . :)
hope it goes well
taynors
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 14, 2008
4:06 AM

Post #5101507

I never find them at the store either. My dad used to grow them every year but he's down to a few.

I'm still looking for lemon grass too =)

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2008
1:32 PM

Post #5102578

OH i love that too.
I actually did see it at a nursery here locally or i think it was. I didn't know it could grow here in OH.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America