How to grow green onions

Greenville, PA

I want to grow some green onions to pick and eat. At the seed store they have the little bulbs and the little green plants. Which do I use? Thanks

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

either one will work. just pick them young. The sets will be more pungent, but usually a little quicker to green up. The plants will usually do better if you want to grow mature onions.

Tucson, AZ

I've tried growing them from seed so many times and it just never worked for me. However, I have the best luck just putting the root end of one I've bought from the grocery store into the ground. Within a week, I have a new green onion. I've cut and reused from the same green onion a couple of times before too.

Cumberland Mtns, TN(Zone 6b)

I planted onion sets in 'my' garden a couple of days ago and I didn't know whether to just drop them in the dirt or stand the bulb upright. Most of the time I'm obsessive, and tend to do things the hard way, so that's what I did...stood every single one upright before I covered them with dirt.

Since I have a bad knee that was HARD on the back, but after I eat the first onion of the season, I'm thinking it won't matter.

What should I have done?

Tucson, AZ

I stand mine up making sure that the top part of the onion is a little above the soil. Don't know if that is the correct way to do it, but it works for me.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Gowinup is right on the money. Usually if the soil is in good shape, You can just poke them straight into the ground.

San Antonio, TX

So you mean if I go to my grocery store & buy a regular white onion, I can plant the whole onion or cut off the root end and plant it & I'll have a green onion? If so I'm heading straight to the store.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Not a great way to do it, but if you only want tops without bulbs, it will usually work. I prefer a litlle onion on my green onion.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
(Louise) Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

plant eqyptian walking onions and you will have more green onions than you can ever use!

What about from seeds? I have a pkg of seeds ( a gift ) and I don't know whether it's worth the try.

Brooklyn, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm doing green onions from seed and they're doing ok right now. My biggest problem with them is distinguishing the new onions from grass! So now, whenever I weed that part of the garden I take a tip of the leaf first and nibble it. I can tell pretty quick if it's an onion or grass! (grass tastes nasty btw)

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL Wicked, what a fun visual of you nibbling your way through the garden. I can just see your DH or mom or whoever coming in and saying, "I think a rabbit has been eating the tops off the onions" and you answering, "No, that was me." ROFL

Hey, how's your rhubarb quest going? Did you ever go swipe some? Did it transplant OK? I just made my first rhubarb crisp of the year, and thought of you.

Brooklyn, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh how sweet! Thank you, no, I never did get a transplant, with all the rain we got by the time I felt confident with what I was doing the rhubarb was already up. It's not much of a hardship however, because our in-laws are all but throwing rhubarb at us! I'll make sure to get some next year though!

seeds did NOT work for me. I think I planted them too deep.

i'm sticking with onion sets.

next I want to grow shallots!

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

Nann i love shallots
i got some and have them in the garden . I have no idea what i m doing but i have yet to find them in the store ? so i decided to grow them . :)
hope it goes well
taynors

I never find them at the store either. My dad used to grow them every year but he's down to a few.

I'm still looking for lemon grass too =)

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

OH i love that too.
I actually did see it at a nursery here locally or i think it was. I didn't know it could grow here in OH.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.