Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Japanese Maples: Please help ID

Communities > Forums > Japanese Maples
bookmark
Forum: Japanese MaplesReplies: 9, Views: 91
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Hemhostaholic
Scranton, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 9, 2008
1:26 PM

Post #4928130

I bought this JM at a garden center last year from the "rescue table." I have no idea what it is. I'm posting some pics. If better pics are requested, I will get to them in as timely a manner as I can. Thank you all in advance!

Thumbnail by Hemhostaholic
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Hemhostaholic
Scranton, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 9, 2008
1:27 PM

Post #4928138

Different pic

Hemhostaholic
Scranton, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 9, 2008
1:29 PM

Post #4928147

Last pic...for now.

Davidsan
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2008
2:23 PM

Post #4928358

It looks like a grafted tree since the rootstock is flourishing at bottom ... With young plants that have just leafed out or recently leafed out it is hard to tell ( for me) between Acer Japonicum Aconitifolium an upright smaler spreading tree or Acer Japonicum Green cascade a weeping tree...but it doesn't look dissected enough to be the cascade so I would say 99% sure A.J. Aconitifolium... 99% of all JM's are impossible to identify as witnessed in this forum over and over ...this cultivar is an exception in that it is truly distinct from others in leaf shape together with tree form...although as I said with youngins the GC is close in leaf shape ( only) and of course tree form has not been established. David

This message was edited May 9, 2008 9:25 AM
Hemhostaholic
Scranton, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 9, 2008
2:30 PM

Post #4928389

Myer--Thank you. Should I remove/pinch off the growth below?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!
Davidsan
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2008
5:08 PM

Post #4929144

yes remove the growth coming up around the tree from the RS ... obviously not the tree itself ;>) and keep an eye on it ...it will likely re-pop-up every year for a while maybe for many years david
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2008
5:20 PM

Post #4929194

myersphcf - it sure looks like the foilage on my Fernleaf Full Moon. Acer japonicum 'Filicifolium'. Could it be this ?

Man, if it is that tree - how lucky to get off the rescue table ! It is one of my favorite JM's I have ! Beautiful fall colors.

Thumbnail by n2birds

Davidsan
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2008
6:10 PM

Post #4929357

Vertrees considers them so close to be the same tree ... I have both the Acon and "supposedly" the Filic and the differnce ...if any ... is not noticble to me i suspect both are Aconitifolium .although they were supposedly originally from differnt clones... Since the F is extreemly rare and likely the A anyway since their is no real way of knowing which is which... I think you can assume it is the A.J Aconitifolium . The fall colors on the A.J. acon are spectacular . I think calling them two differnt names is confusing and aids in buying the same tree twice like I did before doing proper study... Of course if you want to call it a filic. go right ahead ...but be appraised it is the basic same cultivar and likely actually is the same cukltivar as the Aconitifolium but given that name by eithyer someone who passed it along or wants to sell more tree to unsuspecting addicts like ME..David
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2008
2:08 AM

Post #4931079

My all time favorite JM, good rescue!
Hemhostaholic
Scranton, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 10, 2008
5:08 AM

Post #4931631

WOW! I just did some research on it...I guess I did luck out. It was $5...lol...from the rescue table!

Thank you for your help!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Japanese Maples Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Japanese maple Ginger_H 6 Sep 13, 2008 11:19 PM
Threadleaf Japanese Maple hczone6 6 Mar 1, 2010 1:36 AM
MY jm's that survived and thrived last winter zone 5b Davidsan 38 Feb 26, 2010 12:05 AM
Largosmom's Japanese Maples largosmom 62 Nov 22, 2007 8:55 PM
Can you tell me what kind this is? nikki_conway 23 Apr 17, 2008 1:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America