Photo by Melody

Japanese Maples: Do you have a Higasayama?

Communities > Forums > Japanese Maples
bookmark
Forum: Japanese MaplesReplies: 13, Views: 168
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2008
6:59 PM

Post #4929568

I'd really like to see some trees that are older than this one. This will be it's second full year in the ground. I was thankful I didn't lose it last year to the freeze...and then the drought!

Thumbnail by joycet
Click the image for an enlarged view.

largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2008
2:07 AM

Post #4931071

Very pretty!
Davidsan
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2008
2:44 AM

Post #4931222

Mine is an older tree but I have not had it long either ...it looks identical ...I think the 'look" will fade with the summer mine did last year ...still pretty and nice form tree and leaf shape but mostly green ...we shall see ...it seems VERY hardy so far ...mine was in a somewhat exposed location and no winter die back ...it also does not seem to put on late burst as some JM's do which really aids in protectinmg from winter die back!! David

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2008
11:17 AM

Post #4931952

I fell in love with the Spring leaf color and had to have it. Mine is pretty exposed too, which is why I was delighted when it came back gangbusters this year.

David, I keep hearing you talk about your top five. I guess I could go searching for that, but it would be a lot easier if you would just tell me what they are! ^_^
Davidsan
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2008
4:25 PM

Post #4932962

If I talked at sometime about my top 5 it was euphemistically speaking ... Mine change from time to time and sometimes day to day ...If I said that it was more as " this is one of my favs" ...I do tend to exagerate my love for certain trees that are both pretty and have performed well here...There are also some that are really special but have not performed well ... Abigail Rose and Golden Full Moon are two that come to mind ...But when I get time I will throw out a few that I have had long enough to give a big thumbs up on ...If you look at the della thread I speced out some I really like and have done well here . The "done well part here"is somewhat problematic since there are so many variables involved and as i have said before one tree 8 foot apart from an identical cultivar same age same amount of time in the ground can thrive and the other Kaput.David
Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2008
10:09 PM

Post #4933939

I lost a 10 ft Higasayama due to combination of last year's late freeze and the late summer drought.
But a nearby 3 ft young plant survived OK.
I lost a number of fairly mature japanese maples this past year.
Almost all my japonicums survived (just one died); but the palmatum toll was gruesome.
Davidsan
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2008
1:36 AM

Post #4934603

Yes St Louis was hit exceptionally hard as were most southern enviorns..I am about 1-2 weeks behind you generally so I got it bad but not like you guys!! I need to get down to the botanical gardens ...they have a nice JM collection although 90% are inexcusably NOT MARKED not the way a botannical garden should be run IMHO..but they were pretty...but that was two spings ago I didn't bother last spring. ...I assume it may be not pretty down there this spring either one reason I have put it off also such a late spring it is likley just now showey unless it's a disaster there too as I fear David
Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2008
8:58 PM

Post #4961144

If you wanted to see a nearly mature Higasayama, I took a 'memorial shot' of it's carcass.
It used to be a lovely tree. Ah well, fickle mother nature.
The carcass in the middle is the former Higasayama.
Succumbed to late frost spring '07.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2008
9:51 PM

Post #4961401

Ohhhh That's depressing :o(

Did it keep its early spring coloration as it aged?
Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2008
1:27 PM

Post #4964026

Yes.
The leafout in early spring was always it's highlight season.
And despite not tolerating late frosts well, it was a rather vigorous tree, as you can see from it's height.

I have another one which is a couple years old.
But it's main trunk was mauled by deer, so it's more of a multi-stem shrub at present.
I'm not sure if it will ever turn into a nice tree or not.
Davidsan
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2008
6:48 PM

Post #4965055

Since my tree and most I have seen in photos are vase like in form I think a multi stemed Higa will look fine albiet much differnt than your old more upright one obviously more bush like ... Thats one of the nice things about JM's even if their form is a bit differnt or vastly differnt than the norm which oft happens with critters die back etc... it usually is still a neat tree and noone will ever know the differnce but you...Alot of times after it grows out you may like it better than the "original"...David

This message was edited May 17, 2008 1:49 PM

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2008
10:33 PM

Post #4965866

I got a Baldsmith several years ago from ebay and planted it out. It was small, maybe 15-18 inches. Well, the Baldsmith didn't make it through the winter, but whatever it was grafted on did. So I just left it. It's really close to the ground and looks more bushlike, but the leaves are still pretty, even if I don't know what it is.
Davidsan
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2008
11:36 PM

Post #4966125

I lost my Baldsmith also I don't think they are hardy and personally I was NOT impressed with the cultivar ...just a run of the mill dissectum with a differnt name ...So I didn't shed any tears ...it also did not take sun well even in part shade either an all around looser ( for me)...not a tree I would recommend for here or anywhere being so plain not a bad tree for the right area just ordinary IMHO you can do MUCH better with dozens of other dissectums that aren't either touchy or plain...
What is left for you is a plain Green Acer Palmatum ...the root stock the Baldsmith was grafted to or possibly red Acer palmatum .I think either are pretty trees but nothing special ..If you have plenty of room keep it if not dig it up pot it and sell it for 15-25$$ depending on how large it is ..most folks think that there are only a couple differnt JM's only red or green ;>) and they are always VERY hardy.I have several in my yard from last springs freeze although the Baldsmith succummed before the freeze...In fact I dug up a RS today and potted it up ...Oh BTW the rule of thumb is never plant a JM in the same spot that ones dies in ...but in your case case if the root stock is healthy ...it obviously wasn't a disease so if you dig it up just plop in another JM cultivar you like... if you go that direction that is what I did with a potted Kiyohime which now ahs a new home .David

This message was edited May 17, 2008 6:41 PM

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2008
11:48 PM

Post #4966180

I hadn't heard that about not planting in the same spot. Good to know. I did however, move the RS to another location and it is doing fine there. Like you say, not anything spectacular, but I've got the room and it's an okay tree. I didn't replace the Baldsmith, although it was one that Della had available, but I do learn from my experiences so went with another that should be here come Wednesday!!! Yea!^_^

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Japanese Maples Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Japanese maple Ginger_H 6 Sep 13, 2008 11:19 PM
Threadleaf Japanese Maple hczone6 6 Mar 1, 2010 1:36 AM
MY jm's that survived and thrived last winter zone 5b Davidsan 38 Feb 26, 2010 12:05 AM
Largosmom's Japanese Maples largosmom 62 Nov 22, 2007 8:55 PM
Can you tell me what kind this is? nikki_conway 23 Apr 17, 2008 1:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America