Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Fruit: Strawberries

Communities > Forums > Beginner Fruit
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FruitReplies: 6, Views: 96
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
shekhina
Gulf Breeze, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 9, 2008
9:51 PM

Post #4930142

my strawberry plants look great, but the berries themselves aren't doing well. they're very small, and aren't growing. i noticed today that the one berry i currently have is discolored. anyone know what's wrong, and what i can do to fix it?

thanks!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 10, 2008
12:32 AM

Post #4930709

Can you post a picture of the discoloration? Also, is this the first year you've had these, or do you know that they produced bigger fruit in previous years? Some strawberries have smaller fruit than others. Also if they're still at the whitish/green color stage they may not be done growing yet so if you give them some time they might get bigger. Or the plants could be just getting going, if you only have a few berries they're probably just barely getting going on fruit and you'll likely have more if you wait a little.
SCNewbie
Anderson, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2008
5:14 AM

Post #4931638

What kind of strawberries are they, do you know?
shekhina
Gulf Breeze, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2008
12:08 PM

Post #4944447

Thanks. I don't know what kind of strawberries. they start to grow, and then turn black. my mother in law thinks it's over watering. i'll post a pic this evening
shekhina
Gulf Breeze, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2008
12:55 PM

Post #4949429

pic ..

Thumbnail by shekhina
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2008
1:51 PM

Post #4949624

I don't see a discolored berry there, but the white stuff on the stem looks like it could be some sort of insects. Since I'm assuming you want to eat the strawberries, I'd either try to hose it off or else use something mild like insecticidal soap. And the strawberries turning black sounds like it's probably a fungal issue, which can often stem from too much water, so your MIL may be on the right track.
shekhina
Gulf Breeze, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2008
3:37 PM

Post #4950061

the pic was a bit blurry, sorry about that. it looks like the new berries coming on are doing much better, so i'll wait and see how they develop.

Thanks again!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Fruit Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blackberries, blueberries and strawberries... RyanandRachel 15 Mar 9, 2007 9:11 PM
Cuttings from Old Apple Tree wildgardengirl 4 Mar 16, 2007 4:08 PM
Strawberries HighCntryGrdnr 18 Sep 4, 2012 6:23 PM
wondering about the fig trees sslopoke 4 Apr 14, 2007 12:26 AM
Queen Ann Cherry Trees lafko06 1 Apr 16, 2007 2:25 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America