-
AuthorContent
juttz
Muskegon, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2008
7:27 PM

Post #4933451

I just checked my small japanese maple and found chewing of the bark on the whole one side of the trunk...the plant isnt over 18 inches tall..what can I do and will it survive?..Judy
Davidsan
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2008
8:44 PM

Post #4933709

It is a yougin' BUT as long as it it not totaly stripped all around trunk it will likely survivive if healthy...I don't think there is a blasted thing to do ... I have had to fence in all of mine every winter and took off cages about a week ago ..although i have had rabbit damage on a Green Trompenburg in the summer that totally killed it... it was a 3 ft tree at least.. I thought it was too late foor Rabbit damage ...generally they won't bother trees after the other green stuff clover etc comes out.Mice can also do that and there is not much you can do to keep them out ...I guess you could put those plastic tree guards on. Alot of times rabbits will just bite off branches and leave them out of spite I guess a taste test that didn't work out ... when they start "rabbiting" the trunk that can cause real problems and sometimes you don't notice it til it's too late if it's really low. My guess if it is a seedling tree it probably will survive . David
juttz
Muskegon, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2008
1:11 AM

Post #4934511

Thanks Dave...This tree is a very slow grower and its the 2nd winter it has gone through..I dont think its going to be a very tall tree...Im going to cage the trunk in and see if that will help and thanks for reassuring me that it probably will live...Judy
jhayes5032
Greensboro, NC

May 11, 2008
9:21 PM

Post #4937727

so it's rabbits, not deer that do this stuff? Do deer also? Some of the "attacks" I've had seem a bit to high off the ground for rabbits.
juttz
Muskegon, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2008
9:31 PM

Post #4937763

My maple is very low to the ground...Im still not sure if its rabbit but today looking at it I see the strip off the bark was peeled down so maybe its not rabbit...a mystery but Im hoping whatever did it will leave it alone now...Judy
Davidsan
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2008
10:04 PM

Post #4937890

I have had deer damage on fruit trees and they generally go for branches/buds on older trees but with young trees they can eat it to the ground..I have heard horror stories on deer descimating JM's . But, I have not seen or heard of them stripping a tree trunk only w/o tasting/eating or eating on the tree. without a jpeg it's hard to tell it could be rabbits ,mice ,or winter damage from freezing and unfreezing see other thread. as I said if it's not totally encircled it is probably not fatal ...you can wrap it with that paper tree wrap but that can trap moisture and disease or paint it with tree paint but ditto on the possibilities of entertainning doing more harm than good
davesnursery
Milford, DE

May 11, 2008
10:27 PM

Post #4937960

You could have mice problems. They like to girdle the cambium. I heard that it is the high sugar content in the plant.

OR!!!!!!!!

Maybe Black Vine Weevil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Vine_Weevil
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 12, 2008
2:51 AM

Post #4939071

Just happened to be shopping at Greer today and saw this product. I don't have deer problems or rabbits but it might be worth a try. It isn't very expensive.
jhayes5032
Greensboro, NC

May 12, 2008
11:52 AM

Post #4939891

what product?
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 12, 2008
3:39 PM

Post #4940789

Oops, sorry
http://greergardens.com/plantskydd.htm

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Japanese Maples Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Japanese maple Ginger_H 6 Sep 13, 2008 11:19 PM
Threadleaf Japanese Maple hczone6 6 Mar 1, 2010 1:36 AM
MY jm's that survived and thrived last winter zone 5b Davidsan 38 Feb 26, 2010 12:05 AM
Largosmom's Japanese Maples largosmom 62 Nov 22, 2007 8:55 PM
Can you tell me what kind this is? nikki_conway 23 Apr 17, 2008 1:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America