Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Crape Myrtle Hope

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 4, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
fluffysquirrel
Sicklerville, NJ

May 11, 2008
5:11 AM

Post #4935387

I was thinking of planting a Crape Myrtle Hopi for fun. I've read this is a ten feet spread, but elswhere, I've read that it's ten feet tall. Hellllp! I need the specs on this; how tall does this get, how wide, etc. How far should I plant it from the house, etc. I called Spring Hill Nursery, but not one person could help. They read from the catalog which anyone could do. I need to speak to someone who is in the know. Also, does this give off a fragrance? Thanks again, Fluffysquirrel
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 11, 2008
2:35 PM

Post #4936278

I'm curious what was wrong with what they told you from the catalog? They list 10' tall and 10-12' wide which is pretty consistent with what I found when I googled a bit so it sounds like whatever they told you was fine. What might be confusing you is that there are a million different crape myrtles, some are taller and narrower and are often trained as trees, and then there are smaller more compact shrubs as well as big sprawling shrubs like this one. If a 10' tall 12' wide shrub doesn't fit with your vision for the area, take it back and get a different one...chances are whatever size you want there's probably a cultivar that would fit that space. As far as fragrance, rumor has it there's a fragrant crape myrtle out there somewhere, but I've certainly never found one that's fragrant either among the ones I've grown or the ones I've run into at nurseries, so it's unlikely that yours would be.
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2008
4:53 PM

Post #4936873

There are thousands of crepe myrtles planted in this town. Many are street trees. More often than not they are kept trimmed as trees, rather than bushes. The older ones are often 15-20' high and 10-15' wide. Mine are planted where it doesn't matter how tall they get. I am not trimming the lower branches off to grow them as trees, but leaving them as bushes.

Karen
geneivy
Kyle, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 12, 2008
2:43 AM

Post #4939045

Hi Fluffysquirrel, I do a lot of work with crapemyrtles at our small 'Mom & Pop' nursery here in Texas. I believe that spelling is your main problem. You may well be talking about two different crapemyrtles. There is a cultivar called 'Hopi' and another called 'Hope'. Hope is a dwarf variety about 5' at maturity with white to very light pink blooms. Named after Hope, AR in honer of the Clintons who are from there. It has never been popular due to the so-so color. Hopi is a pink one that will go to about 10' high. Developed by the National Arboretum, it has a great reputation both for color and winter hardyness. It is a wide spreading type sometimes twice as wide as tall. Most of this info comes from 'Crapemyrtle, A Grower's Thoughts' written by David Byers.

As of now, there is no crapemyrtle with a fragrance although there is lots of research being done to come up with one. If one is found, the finder will be an instant millionare. There is also the possibility of an orange cultivar being researched by Dr. Carl Whitcom in Stillwater, OK

Didn't mean to ramble but you did ask. LOL Gene

This message was edited May 11, 2008 9:45 PM

This message was edited May 11, 2008 9:46 PM
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 12, 2008
2:50 AM

Post #4939065

I didn't notice the spelling in the thread title, I just looked at 'Hopi' in the first post and assumed that was the one in question, I didn't know there was one called Hope also.

That would be awesome if they could come up with a fragranced one. There was a thread somewhere around here maybe last year or the year before where someone swore their neighbor or a friend had a fragrant one and they wanted to get one like it, and none of us had ever heard of such a thing and figured it was something other than a crape myrtle. I can't remember where things came out in the end.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America