May Daily Weather 2008 II,....Brings May Flowers!

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

Happy Mother's Day to all us gals who have children.
The weather is rather balmy here with the pressure falling.
88.0 F / 31.1 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 39%
Dew Point: 60 F / 16 C
Wind: 8.3 mph / 13 km/hfrom the WSW
Wind Gust: 15.4 mph / 24 km/h
Pressure: 29.62 in / 1002.9 hPa (Falling)
Hope all of you are having a wonderful day
Here's a Mother's Day trunk full of goodies.
Come by and post your great pictures and weather often.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Congratulations, Joey! It must be such a relief to be done.

Looks like asparagus, Billy. (I guess I have something wrong with me. I don't like asparagus - or applesauce, or wine.)

Cloudy this morning, as is common in May and June. I would imagine it will clear up later in the day. That's what it usually does.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 10:51 AM PDT on May 11, 2008
59 F / 15 C
Haze
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 51 F / 11 C
Wind: 5 mph / 7 km/h / 2.1 m/s Variable

more from last week
In the distance is a horizontal white patch. I think that is the dry lake at Edwards Air Force Base. That is where the space shuttle lands when it can't land in Florida.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Sidney - Any rain on your end? Lots of wind and partly cloudy, 0 rain here. Pretty flat of flowers!

90.5 F / 32 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 30%
Dew Point: 55 F / 13 C
Wind: 7.0 mph / 11 km/hfrom the West
Wind Gust: 13.9 mph / 22 km/h
Pressure: 29.71 in / 1006.0 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 89 F / 32 C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 8 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 3000 ft / 914 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 20 ft / 6 m

Through 215 PM EDT...widely scattered showers will continue to develop in northeast Florida from the Suwannee Valley east to Gainesville, Macclenny, Ocala, Palatka, Jacksonville and Orange Park. The showers will be moving rapidly to the east at 25 miles an hour. Isolated thunderstorms with gusty winds to 40 miles an hour and cloud to ground lightning are possible this afternoon. Shower and thunderstorm activity will likely increase in coverage and intensity later this afternoon.

My Mother's Day presents...need to ID and learn how to take care of roses now!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Another

Thumbnail by MySharona

One more

Thumbnail by MySharona

And this outdoor fireplace. This won't be started until I get some stepping stones underneath.

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

I've handed my Mothers Day crown to my daughter. I sit back and enjoy a quiet day.

Lovely impatiens!

It managed to get up to 55* and breezy.

Bluebells and perfectly matching sky!

Thumbnail by billyporter

In the middle distance and to the right of center you can see a green field. That is some kind of farm or ranch. It happens to sit on the San Andreas Fault.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Joey - Here is your namesake beach Peter's Point! LOL!

This message was edited May 11, 2008 3:30 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona

No clue on the roses. The third one looks like a New Guinea impatien. (Our pictures are so very different in subject matter.)

Fremontia and very steep mountains.

Thumbnail by Kelli

I love the bluebell. Do you think those would survive here?

O.K., last picture - scarlet bugler

Thumbnail by Kelli
(Zone 5a)

Kelli Kelli Kelli, more of all three for me :0) ( Asparagus it is) Cool picture! I'm always amazed at the distance it picks up! I love the texture of the rocks too. The fremontia really adds color! I love the scarlet bugler! I don't know. If it had a woodland setting it might survive.

Sharon, beautiful!!!

Sally - Love the bluebells! So pretty and they do match the sky! I love asparagus looks yummy to me! My easy little recipe:
Spread 1tbsp extra virgin olive oil on a baking sheet. Lay your (clean) asparagus on the baking sheet and roll in the olive oil. Sprinkle with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes (depending on the thickness of the asparagus). Its a hit here!
Kelli - Thats too bad about the ranch/farm. Poor planning on the owners part? Lvoe your hiking pictures!

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 7a)

OH, such beauty all around us!

Partly Cloudy73F with 80 predicted for later.
Feels like: 73F

Barometer: 29.8 in ↓
Dewpoint: 17
Humidity: 11%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 18 mph S
Sunrise: 6:13 AM
Sunset: 8:34 PM
UV Index: 8 Very H

Thanks, Mau. I don't get the UV index, either. Maybe we have more ozone cover? ☺

I like the little maple, too. It's the only JM I've been able to keep going and have it look nice. It's in a pot so I can move it, if neccessary.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Sharon, a farm on the San Andreas is no worse an idea than a farm in tornado alley. Though the San Andreas is bound to move some day, it hasn't produced a major earthquake since the 1850s, I think. If you aren't worried about earthquakes, it's actually a good place for a farm, since the fault brings water to the surface. There is a natural lake just to the west of the farm. You might be able to make out a line of blue to the left of the green.

Billy, according to Plant Files, my scarlet bugler is hardy to zone 8. There is a different species that is hardy to zone 4. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/108782/

Here is some more scarlet bugler. I know, I promised no more pictures. I lie a lot. ;-) (Actually, no, my mom cured me of that a long, long time ago.)

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli - I never thought about the fault bringing up water. Maybe they planned it perfectly then!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

86 and very humid at the moment. Not complaining. For me, that beats the cold anytime! :)
Purslane for Sharon....
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Thanks Deb - Purslane is so pretty!

We finally received rain last night - just a little less than 1". Came with a nasty little storm that carried a lot of warnings with it.

63.0 F / 17 C
Clear
Humidity: 43%
Dew Point: 38 F / 4 C
Wind: 3.0 mph / 4 km/hfrom the NW
Wind Gust: 6.7 mph / 10 km/h
Pressure: 29.79 in / 1008.7 hPa (Rising)

Lake Wind Advisory in effect until 8 PM EDT this evening...

Today
Sunny and windy. High 79. Northwest winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph.

Prissy enjoying the weather yesterday

Thumbnail by MySharona

My midget bell-peppers. They're tiny, but they taste good!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Heavy overcast, 1.25" of rain since Sat. 55(F) & much too wet to play outside.

(Zone 7a)

Cute little pepper, Sharon. And Prissy is adorable.

I like that purslane, Deb.

45F with 54 later today. Thunder showers all night and into today.
Feels like: 45F

Barometer: 29.8 in
Dewpoint: 37
Humidity: 74%
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 6:12 AM
Sunset: 8:35 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 3b)

50 very windy~overcast. Length Of Visible Light: 19h 43m
Another nice hike, Kelli~ I liked what you mentioned about not lying; mom's do have a way, don't they?:)
MySharona~Prissy and the peppers, very nice.
Dyson~certainly wouldn't be fun outdoors w/cold, wet ground.
Deb~the Purslane is so pretty; glad you're happy w/weather:)
hi bp.
Kwanjin~very pretty flowers; thunder doesn't happen here too often, but do love the sound.
Summer's here; DS brought out his Mustang.

Thumbnail by kiska
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Well, it certainly must be officially summer, Kiska! My DGS has a red mustang, too!
Celia: pretty little flowers. How can your UV index be zero?!!
Sharon: nice bell pepper and Prissy is certainly relaxed! LOL
Deb: pretty purslane.
BP: love those pretty bluebells!
Kelli: scarlet bugler is pretty, too.
Sidney: you certainly are going to be busy getting all your Mother's Day plants in the ground!! They know what you like!

Lovely day here. currently 73 and sunny. I worked in the yard for a while today--moving plants from one place to another.

Can't remember if I posted this on the previous thread but if I did, here it is again.
Anyone care to guess what this is?

Thumbnail by marsue
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Marsue: No idea what it is, but it's very pretty!

It's been sunny today. Got up to 79. Very nice.
Got some Gaura blooming.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Cloudy all day today. It's supposed to get very hot later in the week.

Sherman Oaks, Los Angeles, California (PWS)
Updated: 3:57 PM PDT on May 12, 2008
59.2 F / 15.1 C
Overcast
Humidity: 72%
Dew Point: 50 F / 10 C
Wind: Calm

We went for a little walk today and saw something I don't think I've ever seen before - butterfly mariposa lily. This one is not quite open all the way.

Thumbnail by Kelli

bush mallow

Thumbnail by Kelli
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sue I'd say it's in the Bean Family?

The 'stang's out ....... IT MUST BE SPRING!

Kelli it looks like you guys are having a Banner Year for Flowers.
Lovely!

kwanjin what is that? Lovely Blue!

Cool here and 63 , a bit breezy and mostly Sunny
Tomorrow 73 and Sunny.

Anyone recognize this?

Ric

This message was edited May 12, 2008 8:40 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 5a)

Sharon, we do asparagus on the grill, but I'm going to try it in the oven! It looks so cool and inviting in the trellis.

Kwanjin, lovely bachelor button! Blue ones are my favorite.

Kelli, that was interesting about the fault. Penstemons are a favorite of mine! I've had P. digitalis, pinefolius, barbatus, etonii, tubeflorus and palmeri.

Deb, gorgeous purslane! My weedy ones bloom yellow.

Sharon, nothing brings a smile like a dog rolling and stretching in the grass! Cool, mini peppers!

Kwanjin, more lovely blue flowers! They are larger than flax, what are they?

Kiska, DS has a nice car! And it's nice to see it against green instead of snow!!

Marsue, it's a very pretty bloom. It has a bit of a delphinium tail.

Deb, I love the pink and white gaura, but GRRR, it won't over winter here!

Kelli, even the name mariposa is pretty! The mallow is pretty too!

Ric, I feel like I should know what your plant is. I think you're right about Sue's being in the bean family!!

We had a chilly but sunny day. I hung clothes out and can smell the shirts hanging in the laundry room. The smell is the ONLY reason for cold weather.

It's 61* right now, but our wind is out of the north, so that is pretty nippy!

Did I mention I got my plant list recopied? It's all updated with room to make notes again! It's over 300 pages and I have all of this year's orders to add when they get here and I decide where to plant them.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Marsue, I'd say that your flower is in the snapdragon family, maybe some kind of toadflax.

Billy, just some FYI, mariposa is Spanish for butterfly.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I'll keep you all waiting until tomorrow in case somebody else wants to take a guess. :o))
Ric, your plant looks like celery!
BP: again, I stand amazed at your "list".
Deb: that guara looks sort of like honeysuckle. Is it kin?
Kelli: How do you identify all those wildflowers? Do you have a book that tells you what they are?

Everyone have a good "rest of the evening".

currently 65 --it's been an absolutely "perfect" day!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The stem is round and hollow.
Smooth not fuzzy like Queen Anne's Lace......

Here's today's Mad Bloomer

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Yes, I have a book (actually several). The Santa Monica Mountains one has over 500 pages so I don't carry it around with me. I have learned the names of most things a long time ago and what I don't know, I take a picture of or try to remember relevant features and then look it up when I get home.

I'll go out on a limb and say that Ric's plant is gunnera.

(Zone 5a)

Kelli, well, it's sure a pretty word.

Ric, at first glance I wanted to say Water Hemlock. Lovely Yellow Flag!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Chance of pop up storms today. Chance of tornados in the area that got hit Sat again.

Will reach 75*.

Everyone has such pretty flowers blooming now!
Celia Pretty bachelor button! I didnt know the name until I saw Sallys post!
Kiska Gotta love a Mustang! What year is it?
Deb The Guara is gorgeous!
Marsue I dont know the name of the flowers, but they sure are pretty! The buds have the same look as a snapdragon, but not the blooms.
Sally Apparently Lady Margaret didnt mind the trim this year! She is filling out nicely. I really should start a plant list, but where oh where to start?! LOL! I admire your tenacity in completing yours.
Kelli Ive never seen a mariposa bloom (or bud), but it looks like its going to be a beauty!
Ric Im clueless! I feel like I should know what your plant is though. Pretty cannas!

58.8 F / 14.9 C
Clear
Humidity: 59%
Dew Point: 45 F / 7 C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1014.8 hPa (Rising)

Today
Mostly sunny. High 76. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

It's going to "my" perfect weather day! Low humidity, cool in the morning and not so hot this afternoon! One of my Bromiliads, both are blooming.

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

52* with a chance of showers and thunderstorms south of I-80. Coming thru on a cold front. My ground can take more rain, but Dad isn't going to get any garden in. I'm waiting to get my tomatoes and peppers out.

One of my favorite trees.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! We have a temp of 45& the sun is trying to peek out thru the fog. It was cool last night, just cool enough to have the heat on. Sunday we were 3 1/2 hours w/out electricity. Some heavy duty storms rolled thru. We were in a "box" off & on all day. Many places around had penny & quarter sized hail.
Happy be-lated Mother's Day to everyone!
Thank you all for the "congrats!" It is such a relief! Now when I read a book it will be because I Want to! ;)
Kiska, Nice "tang"! And my favorite color, too! :D It's a definite sign of spring! :D
Ric, I would say that your plant looks like rhubarb (sp), but I feel sure that I'm wrong.
Marsue, I don't know what your pretyy little plant is, but it's very delicate looking! :D
Sally, I like your tree, too, but what is it? Have you been 4x4ing again? :) Garrett is gonna take me 4x4ing soon. We need to go to the river to sneek some stones for my flower bed.
Sharon, Love the Brom! I need to get me another one. I had one for 4 years, started school & it konked out on me. Maybe I neglected it, too much.
Kelli, what another wonderful 'walk'! I Love those wild flowers! Beautiful!
Marsue! LOL! You are Not clueless! Love those Roses! You're the Rose Queen! LOL
Deb, Love the Gaura! Pretty! :D I hope that you weren't in all of those storms Sunday! And your Puslane! Oooo-Laaa-Laaa! :D
Dyson, Did you get even more rain? I think there were "boxes" close to you, too. (or at least in Salem, anyway.)
Sidney, Thanks for the lovely start! Your Impaciens are...WOW! :D Did you get them all planted?

The answer to the trivia is...A
Lenticular clouds are important to aviators, as they reveal the existence of "mountain waves" downwind of hills, good for gliders but often associated with severe turbulence and dangerous downdrafts.
Did you know? Scarf and cap clouds are associated with convective towering cumulus and cumulonimbus. Noctilucent clouds are weird ,extremely high clouds, seen in the late evening, maybe comet dust?

Today's trivia is...
According to the Beaufort scale, which range of winds is considered to be a fresh breeze?
a) 8-13 knots
b) 7-21 knots
c) 11-14 knots
d) 23-28 knots

Have a Wonderful Day! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 7a)

Good morning.

Is that peony, Music? Answer...C?

BP...I think it is flax. The flowers are about 3/4 of an in. across.

Mau, you're flowers are always beautiful and I don't know what the other is, but it's pretty, too. And go figure on the UV being zero. We should all be crispy critters by now! LOL

46F with 64 later and clear skies. Temps rising until 80s on the weekend. Yea!
Feels like: 43F

Barometer: 30.1 in ↑
Dewpoint: 32
Humidity: 57%
Wind: 6 mph NW
Sunrise: 6:11 AM
Sunset: 8:36 PM
UV Index: 1 Low

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Ric: I still don't know what your mystery plant is. That's a lovely yellow "Mad Bloomer", though.
BP: hope you get your tomatoes and peppers out soon! Is that a recent pic of your favorite tree?
Sharon: such a pretty bloom on your "brom"!
Joey: "A" sounds like a "fresh breeze" to me. LOL--Surely nothing stronger!
pepper: sure hope you don't get any more storms today.
Kelli: I understand why you don't carry that book around on your hikes--500 pages--wow!
Celia: that plant looks like it has "leopard skin"--lol--what is it?

Currently 70 and overcast
PM T-Storms
High 75F
Precip 40%
Wind: SSE 12 mph
Max. Humidity: 60%
UV Index: 8 Very High
Sunrise: 6:06 AM CT
Sunset: 8:04 PM CT
Avg. High: 79F
Record High: 91F (1991)
T-Storms Overnight Low 65F
Precip 80%
Wind: S 10 mph
Max. Humidity: 80%
Avg. Low: 56F
Record Low: 37F (1997)

Okay, my mystery plant was/is---ta,da!---a weed! LOL but a pretty little weed it is. DH picked it out of the yard and brought it inside and stuck it in a vase with a couple of roses. The tiny little flowers almost remind me of an orchid bloom. God's handiwork is everywhere!

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 7a)

HI, MAU!!!

It's Dracunculus vulgaris...Dragon lily. It makes red/black flowers that look like elongated calla lilies. Smell like...hmmm...it's bad, whatever it smells like.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.