Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

very invasive reed type weed how to kill it

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 7b)

I am in coastal Oregon and have a very nasty little weed that I can't get rid of--it's about 6" tall (although I've seen it grow taller when necessary to reach sunlight, right thru other plants--as much as 2' taller!) It has segmented stems and roots that are very reed-like with 'needle' like foliage. I've been told that NOTHING kills it - (including toxic chemicals) short of smothering it with weed barrier which has to be left in place at least 3 years!!! It is fond of poorer soils and full sun.HELP, please I don't want it taking over my yard.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi scordra, you would probably be better off posting your question in the Invasive Plants forum http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/invasives/all/ This forum is for questions about the Plant Files database, anything to do with care/eradication/etc of plants will probably get more answers in the other forums. If you don't know the name of the weed, it might also help to post a picture of it in the Plant Identification forum first to find out what it is, then people can make better suggestions on how to get rid of it.

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

sorry, responded to wrong post.

This message was edited Oct 6, 2009 9:32 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.