Shingles vaccination

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

My neighbor told me her doctor recommended Zostovax shot to prevent shingles in those of us over 60. He said he took it himself. The shot costs $250. at ofc., but neighbor found one of our grocery store pharmacies giving it for $200. Her husband's insurance covered his, hers didn't. They both took the shot. I waasn't even aware they had a shot for it. Guess I'm going to get one. DH has never had mumps, measles, or any childhood diseases...so guess he's safe. I remember my dad having shingles and how painful they were.
Just thought I'd pass along info......

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

Do you know if you need the shot if you've had chicken pox as a child?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm copying her e-mail, as it contained a link to an article that explained the link between chicken pox and shingles....

"Mike and I just got our Zostavax shots from the HEB pharmacist..........Mike saw Howard this week and one thing he recommended was this vaccine against Shingles ...he said he took it himself. It's for people over 60 who want to avoid a chance of getting shingles, which is a horrible condition. Mike's insurance covered his, mine didn't.
It's $205 at HEB..Howard said we should call around cause his office charges $ 250 !! Only Randalls and HEB give them and it was $25 cheaper at HEB.
My sister had shingles about 3 years ago and she almost died from it. Plus it spread into one of her eyes...it was awful. Took about a year to recover."

http://www.medicinenet.com/shingles/article.htm

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I had shingles a couple of years ago. Yes, I had chickenpox as a child. It only strikes people who've had it because the stuff lies dormant and then blossoms as shingles later in life. If I had known there was a vaccine against it I would definitely have had it. Shingles sent me to the Emergency Room because of the itching and the pain. The pain was enough for the ER doctor to prescribe dilaudid every 4 hours which I took for a month until the pain began to subside. I was lucky, some people get what they call post-herpetic pain where the pain never goes away. Then I had to wean myself off the dilaudid which was very hard.

So if I were you and you had chickenpox as a child, get the vaccine!

This message was edited May 12, 2008 10:44 PM

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

will do!! thanks for the helpful info.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Anything that can stop you from contracting shingles is worth getting!

Kilmarnock, VA(Zone 7a)

I had the shingles vaccine last year; fortunately, my insurance paid for the entire cost. Unfortunately, you do need to know that the vaccine does not necessarily protect you from getting the shingles. I got shingles a couple of months ago myself; it didn't last very long and was contained to a small part of my chest. This is a very minor outbreak compared to some of the horror stories I've heard. One gentleman at our church is still trying to recover two months later; he almost lost his eye sight from shingles. All in all I recommend getting the vaccine. Betty

Weedville, PA(Zone 6a)

Hey everyone, I just saw this thread pop up on the most recent posts watcher and thought I'd share some info from an earlier discussion about shingles over on the General Discussion and Chat Forum. Here's the link http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/803236/
Toward the bottom of the thread there's a bit more discussion about the vaccination...just a few details my Doc had given me when I asked about it. Hope y'all find it useful and not boring!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

And, I just caught this thread. I would think the vax a good thing and the best defense against a dose of shingles is a quick response. The sooner they can ID it, the quicker the recovery. The medicines available today will nip it in the bud. DM had them on her face (which can affect the eyes) and DH had them on the rib cage Those that suffer long term pain or damage usually delay getting medical care. If you even suspect, get thee to a dr!

Off to read the link...

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

My mother died 4 years ago from shingles. It settled on her head in the very beginning. Eventually went to her brain. She suffered in agony for 5 months.

When I asked my doctor about the vax she said I could probably get it at the County Health Clinc.
Her office is not carrying it because of the high cost and medicare doesn't cover it. Another atrocity of our government. I have gotten busy and forgotten about it.
Will call the County on Monday.

There should be a national campaign. It IS a deadly disease.

Christi

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/health_science/articles/2006/09/11/theres_now_a_vaccine_against_shingles_should_i_get_it/

According to this article it is covered by Medicare Part D. I hope for some this is true!
Pam

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you. Will check this out.

Christi

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Apparently, I waited just a tad too long. Last Friday, the 13th, I broke out with the shingles. It is not the funniest or easiest disease I have had to battle. Starts at the center of my breastbone and circles over my shoulder and curves up into the back of my head and on to the crown. Have been out of it until today. (19). Looks like a severe burn, itches and at times my right side is a dull ache. Now I face the possibility of it breaking out again every time I am supremely stressed or my immune system is low. Taking 500mg Famvir three times daily. Already take an anti depressant and high blood pressure meds. Doctor added Xanax at bedtime to help sleep. Went back to the doctor yesterday because the fever was still high. Simple lab test and I have a low grade bladder infection. Wouldn't you know??? Added another med. Sleep almost around the clock. Part from the shingles and part from all the meds. Material says to expect 3-6 weeks before this clears. Mike is getting a crash course in how to take care of the garden. What a coincidence. Please check with your doctor about the vaccine. It is too late for me.

Christi

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

Christi I am so sorry to hear this. Make sure to drink lots, for the bladder, of course, but also with all that medication in your system.

And get plenty of rest..... always such a good recommendation for women (who has time??)

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

Christi,
It is NOT to late for you. After this go round clears up, get the vaccine. Read Below:

Shingles Vaccine

In 2006, the FDA approved the first shingles vaccine (Zostavax). The CDC now recommends that all adults with intact immune systems who are age 60 years and older receive this vaccine to help prevent herpes zoster (shingles). This includes adults who have previously had a shingles attack. Evidence indicates that Zostavax can help prevent the occurrence of shingles by about 50%. The vaccine can also help prevent the development of post-herpetic neuralgia (the nerve pain that can follow shingles) by 67%.

I read this from this website:
http://adam.about.com/reports/Shingles-and-chickenpox-Varicella-zoster-virus.htm

If you have to, see another Doc for more info if you have been told otherwise.

I truly wish only the best for you,
Pam

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you for the link. Have read every single word. Glad to see "Ramsay-Hunt" is finally being recognized. I found it while frantically trying to find a way to help my mother as she was in agony. After that there was a parade of Doctors through her room. Each would say, I heard of it in med school but have never seen a patient with it. I pray they never see another.

Primary Care doctor is affiliated with Baylor University Medical Center under the banner of Geriatric Care. Will haggle with her until she gets the vaccine. Her entire practice needs this vaccine.

In some ways, shingles is an orphan disease. Many don't even know what it is. If you are over 60, you are in danger one way or the other. Have to admit that this has been an emotional roller coaster because I was at my mother's side for 5 months while this disease took her from us.

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

Very good luck to you, Christi!

This message was edited Jun 19, 2008 2:01 PM

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

So sorry to hear you're in pain, Christi. DH and I are due for check-ups and we're going to request the shots. Almost silly not to after hearing so many affected. Take care...Sandi

Christi, my sympathy! I had it a couple of years ago. I've never been in such pain, and I had just had shoulder replacement surgery the summer before. Fortunately, I had a good outcome. Keep on keepin' on, girl. I've been meaning to get the vaccination, and think I'll call for an appointment tomorrow. I wouldn't want to go through it again.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank all of you for your good wishes. Please, please call and set an appointment for the vaccine today. I just thought I had all the time in the world and it wouldn't happen to me anyway. Well, guess what, neighbor.....

I just called. The vaccination is expensive! $200, and insurance won't pay!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I have already been to ER twice and have meds of over $346. Insurance doesn't cover. Besides the pain and discomfort. The vaccine is by far the cheaper choice monetarily. In the long run, the vaccine is the best choice. You are going to have an opportunity to spend the money anyway if you have shingles.

I was just too complacent. Having seen my mother suffer so terribly, you would expect I would have been first in line.

Christi

This message was edited Jun 20, 2008 3:15 PM

I'm definitely going to have the vaccination. I just have to wait till my doctor's office has it in. They'll call me. My 83 year old husband is going to have it too. We'll just have to dig up the money somewhere.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I haven't checked with them yet, but my doctor said the shots are probably less at the County Health Department. We are also on SS and I am not too proud to ask for what my taxes provide.

revclaus,perhaps your own doctor will help you make arrangements.

Christi

Good idea, I can check there. Thanks!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I got the vaccine a couple of weeks ago, and waited to report in case there were any side effects. There were none. The hardest part was getting the call back after doctor approval. Took a week. Sandi

Is there some age you have to be before you can have the vaccination?

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

Hi revclaus!
I read this:

Shingles Vaccine Recommendations

The CDC recommends the shingles vaccine (Zostavax) for all adults age 60 years and older who have healthy immune systems. Zostavax is not approved for people younger than age 60.

Hope this helps,
Pam

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Good for you, Sandi. Two weeks out from spinal surgery and it made the dang thangs flare again. Not so painful this time, just lots of itchey rash.

Christi

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Sooooo sorry, Christi. You really need to get the vaccine when you're better. It'll keep it from being so painful, even if it doesn't completely stop it. Take care and let your DH pamper you a while longer.
Off to watch the Weather Channel now. All my relatives live on the MS Gulf Coast......always something.....

Port Sanilac, MI

Medicare now pays for the shingles vaccine. DH and I each got it last month and it cost us $42 each. In our area the local drug stores are the ones adminstering it; our doctor didn't even know about it! The health department told us. DH had shingles a few years ago and it almost got into his eye. We really wanted the vaccine but couldn;t see paying over $200 each. We really don't understand why the fact that medicare now pays isn't publicized more.

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

Thank you kays_camelot for helping to spread the word!

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

kays_camelot,

I got to thinking about the drug stores administering the vaccination. Would they need a doctor on duty or a nurse?

I'll check with our health department and see what they have here. Thanks!!!

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Our health dept. gives the vaccinations for $195. Guess I won't be trying that for a while!!!!!

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can't find anything on the Medicare site that says it pays for the vaccine. Our health department doesn't say anything either, other than that you should have it if you're 60+ whether or not you've had shingles.

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

http://www.bcbsil.com/provider/pdf/zostavax_10_07.pdf

Information for patients to know that is new so many doctors may not be aware.

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

So if you've had pox as a kid then you should opt for this vac?

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/youropinions.php?opinionid=16757

A discussion on the other way to obtain Zostavax, the vaccine for shingles. This seems to be why the above posted situation was created.

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

Yes, if your age is 60 or more.

Port Sanilac, MI

No, the pharmacist gave the shot; we needed our doctor's perscription. The doctor didn't know anything about it and had to call the drug store before he would write it. The pharmacist took a copy of our medicare card and seemed to be completely happy with our $42. . He told us there is practically no chance of a reaction and was very comfortable.

Our health department received some of the vaccine that they administrated for $25 from the state but when they were done with that, they sent people to the drug store, they were doing it for them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images