Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beekeeping: What to do with old comb?

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 1, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Katievs
Munsonville, NH

May 13, 2008
6:13 PM

Post #4945929

I am a beginner beekeeper with only one hive. This year (my third) I decided to add a second hive, then discovered that my original bees had died during the winter. I'm pretty sure it's because I didn't ventilate properly. There is still a lot of honey in the hive, and the bees were far gone in de-composition when I opened it in the spring. My question is: what do I do with the old comb and the remaining honey? There is some mildew in places. Can that be just cut out? Can I start the new bees in the old hive, with the old comb, or is it better to start with fresh frames? I'd be grateful for advice.
jtwig
Davis, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 26, 2008
4:33 AM

Post #5003775

You can cut those pieces out and harvest the honey. The old frames are good and could be used again. There are only a few diseases/infections that require the disposal of the frames. But be aware that a hive died in that box and keep an eye on your new hive; monitor for diseases and what not closely. Sorry to hear about your hive, but happy beekeeping with a new hive! Keep it up. Ciao, j

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America