Photo by Melody
We want to hear from you! Please take this short, anonymous survey to help us improve the DG home page.

Rural Gardening: What to do with old comb?

Communities > Forums > Rural Gardening
Forum: Rural GardeningReplies: 1, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
Munsonville, NH

May 13, 2008
6:13 PM

Post #4945929

I am a beginner beekeeper with only one hive. This year (my third) I decided to add a second hive, then discovered that my original bees had died during the winter. I'm pretty sure it's because I didn't ventilate properly. There is still a lot of honey in the hive, and the bees were far gone in de-composition when I opened it in the spring. My question is: what do I do with the old comb and the remaining honey? There is some mildew in places. Can that be just cut out? Can I start the new bees in the old hive, with the old comb, or is it better to start with fresh frames? I'd be grateful for advice.
Davis, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 26, 2008
4:33 AM

Post #5003775

You can cut those pieces out and harvest the honey. The old frames are good and could be used again. There are only a few diseases/infections that require the disposal of the frames. But be aware that a hive died in that box and keep an eye on your new hive; monitor for diseases and what not closely. Sorry to hear about your hive, but happy beekeeping with a new hive! Keep it up. Ciao, j

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Rural Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America