-
AuthorContent
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2008
8:24 PM

Post #4946407

One of my main goals is to have cut flowers from my garden on a year-round basis. The bonus comes in when the flowers provide beauty to the garden and can be brought indoors to provide joy there. It is often hard to tell from catalogs what plants may look like in the yard, and how they would behave as cut flowers. So, I would love to see what works in your garden. To start, here is one of the earlier bloomers in my yard.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Click the image for an enlarged view.

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2008
8:26 PM

Post #4946410

and this is what the hellebore looks like as a cut flower

Thumbnail by soilsandup

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 14, 2008
11:28 PM

Post #4951862

Great idea for a thread soilsandup!

Very pretty Hellebores you have there in the garden, and they look lovely in the vase indoors. Nice shape!
Do they last a long time when cut?

Thank you! I will be back with a garden picture and an arrangement for indoors soon.
Look forward to seeing more of your garden flowers and arrangements.

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 15, 2008
12:04 AM

Post #4952012

Thanks Terri. The hellebores last at least 5 days. I bring them to work - where I am motivated to get rid of the dying flowers. At home, I tend to forget and the flowers sit for weeks on end...
Here is a photo of my white tree peony - outside

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 15, 2008
12:06 AM

Post #4952019

And inside...

Thumbnail by soilsandup

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 15, 2008
12:38 AM

Post #4952164

WoW! what a beautiful setting. I think Candee has the same white tree peony... I want one too!
The flowers shout out 'look at me' .!!
It's nice you have somewhere set up to take photo's, love the simple vase for such blousy flowers. Nice contrast.

I'll bring something in tomorrow, it's already past my bedtime!
Thanks for sharing. Keep bringing them in... love it!

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 15, 2008
5:30 PM

Post #4955576

Hi Terri - yes, it is great to have that setting for my flowers. It is on the second floor landing of a three story building so I get to pass by it a lot. This has been a great year for peonies here - both the tree kind and the herbaceous. Here is a photo of one of my patches. Can't wait to see your photos too.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 15, 2008
5:32 PM

Post #4955583

cut for indoors

Thumbnail by soilsandup

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 15, 2008
8:39 PM

Post #4956272

Hi soilsandup,
I meant your garden was a beautiful setting LoL! but it is handy for you to have the second floor landing to take pictures of your arrangements!
Your peony is doing really well, so many blooms on it. Is that Azalia next to it? what a vibrant colour. Lovely vase arrangement.

Yellow roses in the garden...

Thumbnail by terriculture

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 15, 2008
8:43 PM

Post #4956289

roses indoors.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 15, 2008
8:49 PM

Post #4956302

another view, different background.

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 15, 2008
9:58 PM

Post #4956520

This is such a great thread Soils. I love your garden arrangements using just one type of flower. How nice it is to get them from your own garden. I thought peonies only grow well in cold climates, is there hope for me in 8b?

Terri, your roses are beautiful too!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 15, 2008
11:47 PM

Post #4956986

Hi Terri - thanks for the compliment. I can't take credit for the brick planters - they were there when we moved into the house. The pool was put in later. And yes, that is an azalea next to it. And your roses are lovely - and what a difference each perspective gives.

Karmaplace - I do mostly one flower arrangements because I would go out to the yard before work and just snip whatever is in bloom, and then dash out to my car :))). In regards to peonies, since zone 8b is slightly cooler than 9a, I think you should be able to grow peonies. There may be some for sale in your area that doesn't as much chilled days. I know that my sister in southern CA can't grow them; not sure how your zone compares with hers.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 17, 2008
9:43 PM

Post #4965705

Thank you Karma and Soilsandup!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2008
9:51 PM

Post #4975204

What a lovely setting with that reflection pool. I miss my white peonies already the rains finally took them out, but not before I captured this beauty asleep on my chaise lounge, our first granddaughter Eva Grace.

Thumbnail by haighr

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 20, 2008
8:50 AM

Post #4977278

Whispering... Oh Candee, she is beautiful, What a precious 'arrangement' from Grandma!!!!!!!! Lol
Thank you for sharing such a lovely pic of Eva Grace .

Oops! Hope I didn't LOL too loud and wake her up!

This message was edited May 20, 2008 11:14 AM
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2008
11:32 AM

Post #4977480

Thank you Terri, I had the pleasure of keeping her a bit as well as Aby while my children were helping with arrangements for Tara this past week and then Steve kept them during the services. They are really something.
BTW, I posted a thread on dried flowers and want to get some ideas there for the memorial flowers if you get time could you swing by the thread?
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2008
11:08 PM

Post #4980339

Here is the yellow tree peony, first the bush

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2008
11:09 PM

Post #4980346

The yellow bloom with slightly red center

Thumbnail by haighr

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2008
11:15 PM

Post #4980373

Be still my heart. Eva Grace. Absolutely positively lovely. *Sigh*
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2008
11:17 PM

Post #4980389

Thanks friend, she is a little doll as is her darling cousin Aby.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2008
11:18 PM

Post #4980395

Beautiful yellow peony. *Sigh*

I have a new favorite flower. Great photo Candee.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2008
12:01 AM

Post #4980575

Better angle of the tree itself

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2008
12:02 AM

Post #4980582

I really like the white one better as I love those huge blooms.
MaryK_38

(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2008
6:17 AM

Post #4982129

How is the best way to get long lasting cut Daisy, the ones I cut last year didn't last a day?
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2008
12:26 PM

Post #4982511

You will have to wait for one of our experts, I have cut mine over the years and they last a long time in just warm water.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2008
5:56 PM

Post #4983920

Katherine - I have never planted any Daisies so can't give you any information on that. Alstromerias make good cut flowers. I got this variety of alstromeria from my sister a couple of years ago. It is a very vigorous plant, almost to the point to spreading too much. But, it produces such tall, and sturdy blooms that I am willing to have to dig around it to keep it in check. There are many other types of hybrid alstromeria that produces flowers on very short stalks, and are disappointments as cut flowers.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2008
5:58 PM

Post #4983932

And here's the flower in a vase. I added a few leaves from my cast iron plant. The coloring goes really well with the color scheme of the building.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2008
6:02 PM

Post #4983954

Ah, alstromerias, I wondered what those were. I have seen them in bought arrangements and didn't know the name.
Lovely pitcher arrangement, I like the slender vase with the spreading top, nice job with the colors as well.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2008
6:27 PM

Post #5083263

Trumpet lilies are one of the first lilies to bloom in my area. Below is a photo of "Pink Perfection." This is one of the few plants in my garden that I actually purchased and therefore know the name of it. Many of the plants in my garden are given to me, or I have scavenged from various sources. This plant multiplies freely and have really strong sturdy stems - I gave some to my sister and hers is about 3 feet tall.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2008
6:28 PM

Post #5083269

Here is a closer up view

Thumbnail by soilsandup

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2008
6:30 PM

Post #5083277

Beautiful colors are they actually that lavender or are they rose, either is spectacular. Some of the first to bloom for you and mine are just coming into shape. They make lovely cut flowers.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2008
6:30 PM

Post #5083278

And finally, the flowers in a vase. This photo was taken when I was learning how to use my camera, so I apologize for the blurriness. The leather leaf fern grows well in the shaded area of my yard.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2008
6:32 PM

Post #5083285

Nice presentation in that vase, nice contrast. I want to get more ferns started, we have tons at the cabin and they would be perfect for arranging, will check into digging some of them.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2008
6:44 PM

Post #5083333

Thanks Candee. They do make lovely cut flowers. I only have grown a couple of types of ferns, and I like the leather leaf ones the best. They last forever. Only problem is that they get quite large and can overwhelm the arrangements. I have to search for the smaller leaves. The color of the Pink Perfection is closer to the color in the second closeup photo - a bit move lavender than pure pink.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2008
1:13 AM

Post #5085013

And one of my favorite cut flowers - calla lilies. Here is a yellow one that I bought as a potted plant from Rite Aid and stuck in the ground.

This message was edited Jun 10, 2008 8:41 PM

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2008
1:14 AM

Post #5085020

and a maroon one that I just planted last year

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2008
1:16 AM

Post #5085030

Since the maroon one is still so young, there was not enough stalks to cut for use as an arrangement by itself. so, I paired the two together.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2008
1:22 AM

Post #5085065

A scarcity of stalks is not a problem with the white calla lilies. My mom gave me a few tubers 6 years ago. I planted them in 5 different spots, and they thrived in all 5 areas. I have been freely giving them away for years. And to show that I do have arrangements at home sometimes - here is one in the house. Next to the flowers is my son. Photo was taken last year - he just turned 21 a couple of days ago.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2008
11:32 AM

Post #5086447

What a handsome young man and such lovely callas. Never doubted for a minute that you had inside arrangements, after all what else would we be doing with all these lovely posies.
21, ahhhhhhhhhhh, those were the days, at least from what I recall LOL! Better stop thinking about them, they almost make me faint of heart!
Belated Happy Birthday to you!

Thumbnail by haighr

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2008
11:58 AM

Post #5086512

Soils, the flowers in the garden are as beautiful as your arrangements. My "cut garden" looks terrible, esp now with the heat, but it looked sad to begin with. I've really enjoyed this thread, which has motivated me to keep trying.

Happy 21st to your son. Mine turned 2 in May.. . .just another 19 years to go.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2008
6:56 PM

Post #5088504

Candee and Karma - thanks for the birthday wishes. It has been many years since I was twenty one too. He's my youngest - my two older girls have both graduated from college. I look back on the baby years with great fondness - so Karma and Candee - you have so much to look forward to, with your son and granddaughter, respectively. I don't have a formal cutting garden - I just try to plant perennials, bulbs, and self-seeding annuals so that I will have a splash of color throughout the yard at all times. I don't have the large drifts of colors that you would find in more formal gardens. - and love that arrangement with the astilbe and the purple iris (is it a Siberian iris?)
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2008
7:51 PM

Post #5088732

Bletilla striata (Chinese ground orchids) are not a very common cut flower, but they do make good cut flowers and are very easy to grow. They can take a variety of sun/shade combinations. The purple ones I have growing in morning sun/afternoon shade, the white ones are grown in practically all sun. They bloom earlier in the year so they bloom before the weather goes too hot (in April) so these set of photos are out of chronological sequence. Here is the purple variety

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2008
7:54 PM

Post #5088740

And here is the white variety. In this photo, they have a purplish hue, but they are pretty white. They add a nice understory to the white tree peony.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2008
7:56 PM

Post #5088748

And the purple ones in a vase. Plants will die back in the winter, but comes back vigorously every year, spreading enough to pass to friends and family.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2008
1:44 PM

Post #5092187

Soil, they are really pretty. Yes they are siberian iris, I like them a bit better than the bearded.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 12, 2008
3:32 PM

Post #5092741

Ohhh gosh, just look at all these pretty arrangements! AND such a handsome young man. Happy Birthday to you! Have a wonderful life!
Soilandup, you have been busy. I love your Alstromeras, (wish I had some)! they last so long in arrangements too. The Callas are beautiful, like the way you presented the two vases with the complimentary colours. I haven't seen the ground Orchid before, very nice to see it close up in the vase, Thank you!
Candee, your vase of flowers says... summer is here, Lovely, Thanks!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2008
3:43 PM

Post #5092788

Thanks, I wish I had better luck with the astillbe. I must have planted 20 of those over the years and all different kinds and I am lucky to have about 5 and only the pink one is producing right now and perhaps will have one white in another week or two. I have also noticed this year that the jupiters beard (valerian) is not lasting long in the arrangements. In past years I have actually used it over again when all the other flowers in the vase had vanished, but now it appears to be one of the first to drop and die in the vase?
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2008
7:52 PM

Post #5099354

Terri - thanks for your kind comments. You should try the ground orchids. They are very easy to grow and spreads very nicely. They last 4-5 days in arrangements. They are quite delicate looking, so they can be overwhelmed by other flowers.
Candee - I have not used red valerians much as cut flowers in the past, but I remember that they wilted really quickly.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2008
7:57 PM

Post #5099373

Easter lilies bloom in June in my neck of the woods. These are transplanted into the yard from potted Easter lilies and have been in the ground for several years. I have heeded warnings not to plant them next to other lilies to prevent possible spread of diseases, but I am not sure if that is a real danger or not.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2008
7:59 PM

Post #5099381

And here they are in a vase. I have increased my bed of Easter lilies by offering to take the spent plants off of people's hands :).

Thumbnail by soilsandup

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 13, 2008
8:24 PM

Post #5099488

Wow! Soilsandup, your vase of lilies looks so elegant and arranged with such perfect placement! Is that a Peony leaf? Really lovely. Thank you!

I don't really know about lilies, they either get the lily bug or the snails eat them here so I gave up with the oriental types
I will look out for those Orchids when I go to the next flower show at Hampton Court in July, they sell allsorts there!.

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2008
7:02 PM

Post #5103896

Terri-yes, those are peony leaves in the arrangement. I get a lot of slugs and snails too. Have to manually pick the snails all the time. For the slugs, since they are so tiny and slimy, I have to resort to snail bait.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 15, 2008
4:39 PM

Post #5107588

Pale pink roses flowering...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 15, 2008
4:41 PM

Post #5107601

Geranium

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 15, 2008
4:42 PM

Post #5107604

Sweet Peas

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 15, 2008
4:48 PM

Post #5107636

Sweet scabious

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 15, 2008
4:53 PM

Post #5107652

I used some wire over a clear vase to hold the flowers in place.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 15, 2008
4:56 PM

Post #5107664

The sweet peas smell nice!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2008
11:49 AM

Post #5110725

Love those colors Terri, very posh spring. What are the pins sticking into and is that excelsior wafting around the vines? You know I had 2 huge bags of that from a fountain that we had shipped to us several years ago and I used some for swag arrangements of dried flowers and then after saving it in the top of the garage a few years, for some reason finally pitched it out and now I see it costs an arm and leg in the stores? Sure need my head examined sometimes!
Beautiful lilies, I agree it is so elegant. Good eye for that leaf ID Terri. I dont have a problem with slugs here and am so glad I don't cause they are some ugly!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2008
8:25 PM

Post #5112846

Terri - I love sweet peas and their fragrance - but have not grown them in years. I keep forgetting to plant them. You are lucky to have them in your garden. Lovely pastel colors!! Are those pins , or are they beads threaded through the wires? The wires is a great way to keep the flowers upright and to add another layer of interest to the arrangement. I have used chicken wire in the past, but I normally have that covered up with foliage to hide it since it is not as pretty as the wires that you used. Candee - I envy your slug-less garden. The snails attack the plants from the top, and the slugs eat the bulbs underground. And the river rats vie with the squirrels and birds for the fruits.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 16, 2008
10:48 PM

Post #5113539

Thanks candee and Soilsandup. Yes, the beads are threaded through the decoratve wire. They sell the wires in different colours, it's nice to experiment.
Candee, I don't know what you mean by excelsior??
My garden is really bad for slugs and snails, for some reason they leave the sweet peas alone.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2008
11:28 AM

Post #5115895

Excelsior is a kind of packaging stuff that is like straw and is used in arrangements sometimes and particularly in dried hanging arrangements often used to hide the dried stems in arrangements or to spill out over a pot.
Quoting: Excelsior is a wood product made of aspen fibers, used in packaging, cushioning, stuffing of stuffed animals, and for the cooling pads in home evaporative cooling systems known as swamp coolers.

Excelsior, dyed green, makes an annual appearance as the "grass" in Easter baskets, or did in earlier decades before the prevalence of plastics.

Traditionally used in stuffing Teddy bears[1], it is still used in stuffing the muzzles of some collectible bears.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 18, 2008
4:26 PM

Post #5122782

Thank you for the information! Never heard of it! Sounds a bit like sisel.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2008
6:36 PM

Post #5123366

Here is one plant that was not what I expected when I first got it. I was looking for a medium-sized shrub, around 3-4 feet tall. I purchased this buddleja (I had always spelled it buddleia, then found out I was wrong) about three years ago. It has grown to over 10 feet every year (the fence behind it is 8 ft tall), and I have had to prune it hard every year. I did not know that buddlejas came in such a huge range of heights. I was fortunate in that I planted it in a space where it was OK for it to be bigger than expected, and it does give out a profusion of lovely purplish-pink spirals.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2008
6:38 PM

Post #5123374

And here it is in a vase. I usually try to make the arrangements so that it reflects the look of the plants outdoors.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2008
6:43 PM

Post #5123388

Beautiful Dianne, yes they do get quite large. I just transplanted one from one area to another and it was about 8'. I barely got any root with it at all as it was way too much for me to manage, but that was about 1 month ago and it is thriving heartily, so I don't think they are easily harmed either. We cut ours back to the ground every year and it just grows like crazy.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 18, 2008
11:17 PM

Post #5124769

Good idea to reflect the look of the plant in your arrangement display. Nice one!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2008
7:53 PM

Post #5148280

Happy summer Everyone! One of my favorite summer blooms is stokesias. Pictured here is a blue one, along with a peach-white one that I planted last year. To the right is a lavatera.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2008
7:58 PM

Post #5148304

Had to do a mix bouquet this time since I didn't get around to cutting the flowers until it was past their prime. Since I don't have a separate cutting garden, I tend to leave the flowers intact while they are at their peak, and then cut them for arrangements towards the end of their bloom period. Kind of a dual purpose pre-mature deadheading. Two kinds of stokesia with larkspur and yarrow as fillers.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 24, 2008
5:22 PM

Post #5152790

Happy Summer Dianne! Beautiful! Love the bucket too.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2008
6:04 PM

Post #5153092

I must have just thought I responded to this thread, but was sure I had and here is what I recall I was going to say:
I am lucky to have stokesia that looks that good ever - let alone when it is close to being finished. Deadheading is not something I do as much as I should and so may keep this idea in my head for the next cuttings.
Very pretty and really like the bucket, and that is what I remember I was going to say when I saw your post last evening !
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2008
6:04 PM

Post #5193617

Thanks Terri and Candee. Summers are hot here and the varieties of flowers in bloom are dwindling. One plant that always provide a nice bright splash of color is the crocosmia. Pictured here with Russelia equisetiformis (firecracker plant). Crocosmias spread freely with lots of little bulblets. It is ironic that the one place that I wanted them to thrive - they died. I have them in three areas around the house - this area under the cherry tree is shaded most of the time. They do well in sun too.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2008
6:07 PM

Post #5193628

And here are the two plants in a vase. The Russelia equisetiformis gives a nice drapey look to the arrangement.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 2, 2008
10:06 PM

Post #5194634

Oh that is BEAUTIFUL> I love crocosmia! it's such a great plant, so many good parts to it. The leaves are great for weaving and the seed pods are great to dry and spray for winter arrangements and the flowers are lovely! What more could you want?
Lovely arrangement in the jug, just perfect!

It usually flowers in August/September here. I have a new yellow one, looking forward to seeing how that flowers this year.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2008
1:48 PM

Post #5197828

That looks fabulous, oh how I wish mine had not croaked. Perhaps I will have to go find some somewhere as you Terri have really peaked my curiosity when you mention about the pods for winter arrangements. Don't believe I have ever seen them in yellow, be sure to post when yours bloom.
They really look great blooming in your garden as well sands.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2008
10:23 PM

Post #5200228

Candee - If I remember, come fall, I can dig some up and send them to you. Send me an email to remind me sometime in Oct/Nov. I have tons of them. What I do now is when I pick the flowers, I just pull up the whole thing, and then throw the corms away.

Terri - I have not seen a yellow one either so am looking forward to see how yours do.

Dianne
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 4, 2008
6:23 PM

Post #5203896

My Daylilies have started to open...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 4, 2008
6:26 PM

Post #5203904

Seeing your jug of Crocosmia reminded me I have a jug! First I jazzed it up a bit with some Day lily leaves.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 4, 2008
6:28 PM

Post #5203912

Lilies and leaves..

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 4, 2008
6:34 PM

Post #5203932

Here's the red one growing in the garden...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 4, 2008
6:36 PM

Post #5203942

another view!

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2008
6:19 AM

Post #5206355

Terri - what a clever way to dress up vase! How do you get it to stay put? Double-sided tape? Like the color combination too!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 7, 2008
4:37 PM

Post #5218098

Dianne, I used pearl pins to join the leaves together. Only to save time and washing up LOL!
Thanks.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2008
11:14 PM

Post #5220150

Terri you've got more pots than I got brain cells! That one is real nice and the daylilies don't look bad either.
Dianne, thanks for the generous offer, I'll try to keep that in mind this fall.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 8, 2008
3:24 PM

Post #5223480

Thanks Candee, I have got loads of containers, but get fed up using them seeing as I'm always making something. Lol! Like to think of 'makeover' ideas for them.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2008
9:21 PM

Post #5231228

Asters are in bloom in my yard now. This is one of the shorter varieties. Some asters grow up to 4-5 feet tall.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2008
9:23 PM

Post #5231237

Saliva chiapensis - I got a small rooted cutting several years ago of this plant, and it has grown tremendously. Have had to relocate it twice. Nice arching stems of flowers for months.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2008
9:25 PM

Post #5231246

And here are the two together. They match perfectly - in color and in overlapping blooming period.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 9, 2008
10:20 PM

Post #5231606

That looks beautiful! nice container too! very natural style you have Dianne, I like it!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2008
11:41 PM

Post #5232006

I really adore your garden blooms please post more. Your plants are so healthy and colorful. The arrangement of them together is quite lucious and full.
Candee
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2008
5:05 PM

Post #5274120

thanks Teri and Candee...misplaced my camera for a few days and did not take any pictures. Dahlias are great as summer flowers. They have been hit or miss in my garden. This one that I have planted in my tomato patch is one that has come back yearly. The dinner-plate size dahlias are spectacular, but since they require staking, I don't include them in my garden. I know myself well enough that I will always forget to stake them. If I had a bigger garden, I would certainly plant a lot more dahlias since they come in so many shapes, sizes, and colors.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2008
5:16 PM

Post #5274165

And here it is in an arrangement. Since I wanted to leave some of the dahlia stalks for a potential second flush of blooms, I did not cut them very low. I paired them up with some alstromeria to give the arrangement enough height so that I can include a few sago palm leaves. This is the same alstromeria that has been blooming for about three months. Canna flowers don't last as cut flowers, but I always grow some for the leaves.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2008
2:02 PM

Post #5279022

Spectacular arrangement Diann and I love the leaves in the bottom of the vase. That certainly is a full shrub of dahlias and great color. I have some of the dinner plate ones, I'll post if they bloom this year. I keep mine in pots as I never could remember to dig them all up at season's end.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 22, 2008
12:19 AM

Post #5298654

Lovely arrangement Dianne. Nice shape and soothing colours, like what you did with the leaf in the vase.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2008
8:28 PM

Post #5308492

Candee - looking forward to seeing your photos of Longwood gardens. My brother lives in Philadelphia and that is one place that I never get tired of visiting. Terri and Candee - I saw quite a few arrangements this year with leaves surrounding the vase so I thought I would give it a try. I should have added another layer on top to fully fill the vase.

Here is a shot of the black-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia hirta) patch in my yard. I have read in some of the other forums that people have found this plant to be invasive, but this is the third year I have had it and it has spread to about 3x2 feet. I will probably dig some of the edges out to cut it back to about half it's size this fall. And I always cut off ALL the flowers before any of it goes to seed.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2008
8:33 PM

Post #5308505

This is the third day for this arrangement and you can see some of the heads drooping. But, it does pretty well as a cut flower and it gives off a bright cheery look. Kind of like a miniature of your sunflowers, Terri.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 23, 2008
9:05 PM

Post #5308663

Hi Dianne, Funny how we have different names for flowers. Black eyed susan is something entirely different to me,
It has a little orange flower with a black eye and it is a climber!
I love your Rudbeckia, it's nice to have so many flowers in one patch like that. I bet you didn't even notice they were gone for your arrangement! Which is lovely and jolly. It might last longer if you cut the stems shorter.
Talking about sunflowers, one little rabbit is not in my good books today! She munched two of my sunflower plants straight through the main stalk, end of.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2008
11:24 AM

Post #5311200

Hi Dianne, the black eyed susans look very cheery both in the garden and in the arrangement. I think the vase above has just enough leaf in it, that way you can see that it is a leaf and not a green vase.
As far as the invasive I have a little story. I had black eyed susans in my gardens 10 years ago and each year they popped up in other areas until I just got tired of them. So out came the round up and I sprayed them until there were none to be seen. Then last year I saw them in another garden and had forgotten how lush and longlasting they were so off to the garden shop I went to get them again. They are blooming well right now and are already coming in a few other areas but now I seem to appreciate them more so think I'll keep them around for a few more seasons.
That is a great idea to cut it back before it goes to seed.
Terri, sorry to hear those dang rabbits got to your sunflowers. Perhaps it is time for some rabbit stew?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 24, 2008
3:45 PM

Post #5312242

Candee, I've done that before! got rid of plants then bought them again a few years later!
Guess how I discovered the sunflowers had been munched? I noticed they had been cellotaped back together!!!!!!! My daughter who's the owner of the rabbit, but wasn't watching her, found the stems and taped them back together as if I wouldn't notice. Kids eh? LoL!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 24, 2008
3:46 PM

Post #5312249

That was the 1st day of the 6 week holidays off school!!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2008
4:51 PM

Post #5312607

LOL, now that is one of the most thoughtful things I have ever heard of. Your daughter obviously knows how special your poseys are and did her best to make things right. Now that's precious!!!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2008
6:09 AM

Post #5316504

Terri - what a cute story about your taped sunflowers. Her heart is in the right place. Your kids' summer vacation is quite different from our school system here. Oh - my daughter arrived in London yesterday. Hope you are having good weather there!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 27, 2008
12:03 AM

Post #5324594

Hi Dianne, The weather has been lovely the past week in the 80's, hot for England. Hope your daughter has a nice time and the weather stays good while she's over here!
When are the kids summer holidays over there? I think 6 weeks is far too long!!
Here's Katie watering the flowerbed for me!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2008
11:57 AM

Post #5331230

Great that you have a garden helper Terri. Does she enjoy the gardening as much as you do?
The lottie is looking very nice and healthy. You really worked to get a great bed going there and it looks like it paid off.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 28, 2008
8:29 PM

Post #5333722

Hi Candee, Thanks. I don't think Katie likes gardening, she would rather be on her play station.

Crocosmia is flowering, it's early this year maybe because it has been so hot lately.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 28, 2008
8:33 PM

Post #5333735

It's flowering at home too.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 28, 2008
8:40 PM

Post #5333763

Here they are in a blue vase.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 28, 2008
8:44 PM

Post #5333775

Cornflowers are doing well.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 28, 2008
8:53 PM

Post #5333819

I have tried to post the arrangement twice but it has got lost in cyber space, will try again later!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 28, 2008
9:08 PM

Post #5333892

Terri - my crocosmias are long gone - so it is nice to see yours, and in such a lovely airy arrangement. Nice backdrop you have there too. The school kids here in the California typically gets out of school mid-June, and goes back to school around the first week in September. A little over 2 1/2 months. So, your 6 weeks seems short to us :). I can never get my kids to help out in my garden, so you are lucky that Katie is out there with you sometimes. My oldest did help me harvest some nectarines yesterday.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 28, 2008
9:47 PM

Post #5334166

Hi Dianne, Thanks, glad you liked the vase of crocosmia.
They do have long holidays in California, 2 and a half months is a very long time!
I went there once, where is Sacramento?

The sweet peas are still blooming

This message was edited Jul 28, 2008 10:58 PM

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 28, 2008
9:51 PM

Post #5334183

cornflowers and sweet peas.

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2008
11:05 PM

Post #5334562

That cornflower and pea arrangement would look great in the cafe as well as the crocosmia (what is the common name, I can't recall) - Love seeing them in bloom they are unique.
You have sweet peas galore, mine are a pitiful display just a few blooms, but better than none. That is a fantastic arrangement you have put them in.
Least you got Katie out there for a bit to assist, my kids couldn't find their way into my gardens with a road map LOL!
Here are a few more blooms I have recently uncovered. The orange lilies are in bloom and cannot remember their name.

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2008
11:07 PM

Post #5334573

Hibiscus red and white mixed.

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2008
11:09 PM

Post #5334590

Dahlias times two, this one is a large white.

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2008
11:11 PM

Post #5334604

Yellow dahlias

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2008
11:14 PM

Post #5334610

These lilies popped out and I don't remember them from last year? Memory is leaving quickly.

Thumbnail by haighr

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 29, 2008
2:21 AM

Post #5335858

Oh, I thought you were bringing in a huge vase for all those flowers. From yard to vase LoL!
Are you going to dry any of those beautiful flowers Candee? They could be spray painted at a later date.
Wish I had some BIG flowers!

Do you mean montebresia or somehting like that? for crocosmia.
Thanks on the sweet pea vase.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2008 3:27 AM
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2008
5:03 AM

Post #5336525

Terri - love the way you molded that snowpea vine into a "handle." I planted sweet peas years ago - I never remember to plant them in time so haven't had any for the past 10 years. Candee - I have heard some people call crocosmia "firecracker plants" because they are kind of reddish and blooms around the 4th of july in our area. But, there are lots of other plants called some kind of firecracker variations in their common names.

I was expecting a large arrangement too!! Still not too late to put one together LoL
I had some pink lilies like yours too, but they stopped coming back after two years. I probably have had as many plants died (or dug out because they were not what I wanted) as I have presently growing...
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

July 29, 2008
9:59 AM

Post #5336815

Hello you gals! I just lurk-ed and thought I'd better stop and say how nice the flowers/gardens/arrangements are! I might put in my two cents when the time is right!
Good thread!
Sue
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2008
11:50 AM

Post #5337098

Oops, another blonde lapse. Told you I don't know what I am doing. Now I guess I am forced to go cut them and do something splendid since I put them all on the wrong thread! I'll see what can be done about this!
Do you think the dahlias would dry nicely? Perhaps I will try a couple.

Dianne, I think we called them something like devils something or other but the name escapes me at the moment.
Oh, I went to my 2002 journal and found a photo, we call it Lucifer!

Thumbnail by haighr

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 29, 2008
4:45 PM

Post #5338488

Thanks Dianne, the 'handle' just came about by accident, but I thought it added a bit more interest so kept it!
Hi Sue, yes we love this thread, it's nice to 'arrange' in a vase what is available from the garden/yard!
Looking forward to seeing your vases and flowers of course!
Candee, I imagine the Dahlia would dry nicely, but I haven't tried.
Lucifer is a variety of crocosmia! It's a much fuller flower than the one I have in the garden. I think that I may have lucifer at the lottie.
Looking forward to seeing what you put all your flowers in, no oasis here. LoL!

Warning ... the picture is a bit fuzzy, ok Candee!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2008

Post #5338846

Thanks for the warning Terri, I would have thought I was already tipsy! LOL
And after racking my brain and doing research you tell me they are two different species - go figure?
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2008
6:35 PM

Post #5338944

Here is a plant that I rarely see anywhere - Francoa ramosa. I got it from a friend over 10 years ago. It has very SLOWLY spread. I have about 5-6 plants now, in two spots. Mostly shady with a little sun. Sorry the picture is a little fuzzy. It is not a plant that shouts out "look at me" but it does entices you to come closer and take a look. Leaves form a rosette at the bottom, with flower stalks about 2-3 feet tall.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2008
6:37 PM

Post #5338951

here's a closeup of the flower

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2008
6:40 PM

Post #5338959

And in a vase. I did not want to cut the leaves from the plant, so I took some leaves from the japanese anenome instead.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2008
10:58 PM

Post #5340200

Dianne it looks great in the vase alone, one of those that does not stand out but looks great alone.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 29, 2008
11:00 PM

Post #5340203

Is anyone else having trouble with the threads today, or is it my computer? Several times I've posted and it has gone! or won't load.

Dianne,They are lovely delicate flowers simply and elegantly arranged! like the way you curved the leaves around the neck of the bottle.
Thanks for the close up, it's a very pretty flower. The bottle is a great idea.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2008
11:01 PM

Post #5340209

I hope you all are happy, I had to get the wheelbarrow to carry these humongous petals and make an arrangement. Kinda oriental I think but believe I used the yellow dahlia, while hibiscus, orange and pink lilies, just as planned LOL!

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2008
11:03 PM

Post #5340211

Agree Terri, and Dianne it is a great display and probably a good year! What is that vase of presentation?
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2008
11:04 PM

Post #5340221

You would not believe what I used for the base of this arrangement, but I do thank my mother. Never thought I would have a use for this pewter but I was wrong.

Thumbnail by haighr

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 29, 2008
11:27 PM

Post #5340343

I'm happy! especially when there are lovely arrangements to look at.
Better late than never, and well worth the wait. It does look oriental, with the twigs and the size of the flowers, your hibiscus must be some giant flower, it's enormous! Nicely planned LoL!
What is the base? or shouldn't I ask...
Sorry you had to collect them with a wheelbarrow, you deseve a drink!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

July 30, 2008
8:16 AM

Post #5342273

Nice flowers again gals! I pruned the federation Daisy this arvy!
In the garden

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

July 30, 2008
8:17 AM

Post #5342276

In the vase

Thumbnail by weed_woman

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2008
11:46 AM

Post #5342673

Oh Sue they are very cherry, nice job of pruning, I need you to come prune over here please.
Terri the base is first an antique pewter candy dish with the glass insert removed. Then inside that is an old pewter ashtray. The astray has the cigarette holders coming out the side in two spots that just hold it to the edge of the candy dish. The cigarette holder also has a slot on the side that would have been used to hold a pack of cigarettes. So now imagine that and here is how I made it work. A tiny frog in the candy dish as there was just enough space not covered by the "floating" ashtray. Into that frog I inserted the pink lily. The huge hibiscus is just floating in the water in the ashtray. The slot that is raised on the side of the ashtray was just the right size for a piece of oasis and into that is stuck the orange lily and dahlia. The corkscrew is stuck in another tiny frog that is also down inside the candy dish!
Brilliant I tell you LOL! Took me the entire day to think of how I could present these!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2008
12:13 AM

Post #5345947

Candee - glad you took the time to do the arrangement. Very ingenious. That is the largest hibiscus I have ever seen. I took the simple way out - the bottle that I used above as a vase is a bottle of Chivas that a guest gave us a quite few years ago. Don't remember how the 21-year-old scotch tasted like, but I knew that I wanted that bottle (I think it is ceramic) for a vase. I love that shade of blue.

Sue - I have never heard of Federation Daisy before, but after seeing your pictures, that is something that I would definitely consider growing for cut flowers. How long does the blooms last? These are the exchanges that I was hoping for when I started this thread. To get exposed to new possibilities. My ultimate goal is to have plants flowering throughout the year so that I can have at least 52 arrangements - or at least the option of having 52 arrangements since sometimes I get lazy and don't cut anything even if there are flowers available.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 31, 2008
12:38 AM

Post #5346062

Nice flowers and vase Sue! They daisy looks a bit like the Bellis daisy we get here.

Candee, great effort and brilliant thinking! I was wondering how you would get the heavy stems to stand up!

Dianne, I don't have blooms all 52wks, but. it sounds like a great idea, think I'll start working on it for this winter!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

July 31, 2008
8:24 AM

Post #5347409

I never did find the name for the Federation daisy, as thats what name they're marketed under here. I googled it once, but couldn't find anything connected. Its the last month of winter here, but I am in a milder climate (5-25 degrees celcius, or 40-80 degrees farenheit) and they have flowered on and off all the last 12 months. I have to cut the flowers to keep the bush compact, or it goes leggy, with foliage at the ends and woody stems below. So I let it flush in flower, and as they start to fade, cut it all back (saving the flowers for the vase) and it comes back pretty much right away, and even gives me another, sparser flush of blooms. I cut sprigs all year for other arrangements, and that also keeps the bush in shape.
I don't quite understand the zones yet, are you in California Soilsandup? What are your min/max temps in winter?
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2008
11:18 AM

Post #5347566

Thanks for your compliments. Dianne if you think that hibiscus is huge wait till to see the dinnerplate dahlia I took a photo of yesterday.
You are all very fortunate to be in zones that you can consider arranging all 52 weeks. In another couple months I'll be here admiring them, so keep them coming. Long about September I start digging and storing and the flowers in the stores are just way too expensive here.
Nice chivas bottle Sue, do you run a bed and breakfast? That's a nice gift to receive!
I did a search in the DG database and that federation daisy looks a bit like this one?
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56228/
There are plenty more, if that isn't it. Could always post it on the ID forum, they ID this stuff very quickly and accurately.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2008
5:53 PM

Post #5349151

Sue - we have relatively mild winters - highs 50-60 F, lows around 38 F. We get maybe 10 days of freezing temps of around 32 degrees. Once in a while, it will dip down to 22 (-5 celcius). However, in 1991 or 1992, we had an extended period of below freezing temperatures and about 90% of the plants at my house died. The house was fully landscaped when we bought it, and even though I did not like what was there (generic green scrubs) I did not have the heart to dig them out. But, once they died, I was able to plant to my heart's content all the flowering plants that I wanted. I have about 8 weeks where there isn't much blooming, but I am working on that.

Candee - what you found sounds like what Sue has. It does have a long blooming period, and is tolerant of frost so it is a good autumn/winter flowering plant here in my zone too. And the chivas bottle is mines (though Sue can borrow it anytime LoL). I work at the University at Davis, and we often get visitors from other countries visiting our department who generously bear gifts.

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2008
5:57 PM

Post #5349165

Oh, what a great way to meet new people Dianne and to receive gifts like that as well!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 31, 2008
8:52 PM

Post #5349809

I have purple loosetrife and dark pink scabious flowering...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 31, 2008
8:59 PM

Post #5349843

Here's the arrangement.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 31, 2008
9:10 PM

Post #5349895

The double sided vase can be placed somewhere where both sides are viewed!
Inside are hollyhocks.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 31, 2008
9:13 PM

Post #5349906

As you can see, I'm experimenting with my clear vases!

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2008
3:28 AM

Post #5351772

Terri - I was wondering what the pinkish-purplish flowers were in your homemade ice cream concoction at the cafe. Now I know it is purple loose strife. And I have never seen a dark pink scabosia - just the blue ones. Learnt 2 new things today! Clear vases are neat to play around with and your arrangement is lovely.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

August 1, 2008
6:59 AM

Post #5352289

What a great idea Terri, I always thought my clear vases were boring, but now I might have a go at dressing them up. I love your loosetrife, but the name "scabious" sounds terrible!
That daisy looks exactlylike mine. They come in all different shades of pink and white and purple I think!
I was a bit confused about the Chivas, but it's all good now!
So soilsandup, your climate isn't too different from mine, just a bit cooler. When do you get your rainy season?
Sue
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2008
12:40 PM

Post #5352893

Hi ladies! All I can say is I am sooooo envious of your gardens and arrrangements. Everything is just beautiful in here. Haven't had much time for fun lately, but it's been nice looking at your pictures. Thank you!

Lana
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 1, 2008
11:39 PM

Post #5355834

HHHHHeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllooooooooooooo Karma df. Nice to see you, hope you will have some free time to play sometime this summer!
Thankyou all for the lovely comments! Love seeing everyones ideas, and learning about the best cut flowers.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2008
10:24 PM

Post #5364078

Sue - our rainy season is in Jan/Feb/Mar - we are classified as having Mediterranean type climate. Dry summer, rain in winter.

Karma - nice of you to join us on this thread.

And, one of my favorite flowers is in bloom now - Amaryllis belladonna - also known as naked lady. I remember this flower from my childhood days as they thrive in many areas because they do not require any summer water.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2008
10:28 PM

Post #5364126

And here it is in a vase. The sturdy long stem makes it a great cut flower, though over time, the stalks will droop a bit. I did not have good lighting, but using the flash makes the color looked washed out, so I opted for fuzzy.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 3, 2008
10:34 PM

Post #5364146

Hey there terri! Gorgeous soils! I'm a big fan of yours.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2008
10:35 PM

Post #5364152

And finally, a close up of the bloom. The fragrance is wonderful - not overwhelming or too flowerly, but nice and subtle. I got the bulk of my bulbs from a neighbor across the street who was selling their house. Because these plants lose their leaves in the spring and don't green up until after the blooming period in August (hence the common name - naked lady) and she did not want dead plants in her yard for the open house, she dug them all up and planted "presentable" plants in those spots. She left two huge bags of bulbs in my front doorstep and I have been giving them away freely when I thin out my patches. I have them in shade and sun to spread out the blooming period.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2008
11:48 AM

Post #5366129

Dianne, those naked ladies are beautiful and so you say scented lightly as well. So nice of your neighbor to need them removed LOl! Worked out great for you and they are pretty in your arrangement.
Karma, great to have you drop in. Now remember all work and no play... you know what they say - I hope, I have forgotten!!!
Terri, like what you have done with the clear vase. I have several and have tried to spice them up but nothing as lovely as yours. I agree with Sue, I have some but just never liked the name scabiosa (sounds like something that needs picking LOL)!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2008
8:47 PM

Post #5368246

Thanks, Candee.

And Karma, a fan?????? Never had a fan before. LoL. that is so sweet of you to say.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 4, 2008
11:28 PM

Post #5369011

Oh I love this thread, just never know what beautiful flowers will be next LoL!
Another stunning arrangement Dianne, thanks so much! I'm a fan of yours too.

Thanks Candee, I agree, horrible name, makes me ichy thinking about it!

Hi Karma!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2008
11:53 AM

Post #5370963

Well you got fans now Dianne! I just love seeing everyone's gardens. Each with its own style and unique species.

I have an unusual one as well. Have you ever seen the dracuncula vulgaris that I grow? Not sure if I have posted them before or not? They are of a slightly foul odor, the flies love them, but a gorgeous presentation. Nothing you would want in an arrangement though.

Here is a link to many pics of them in my garden in the Spring if you care to take a peek.

http://hhcreations.com/Dracuncula.htm
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2008
2:08 AM

Post #5374813

Thanks for the greetings. I finally have time to play. Here is a picture of my hydrangeas at the height of the blooming season. I've had a hard time cutting anything as my garden (mostly in containers) is only a year old.

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2008
2:14 AM

Post #5374843

Here they are in a vase at the end of their season. I used mostly "blushing bride" (the ones on the right in the above pic) and a touch of "limelight" hydrangeas. They feel almost papery and look really artificial. . .great for drying!

Thumbnail by karmaplace

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2008
11:39 AM

Post #5375903

Hi Karma, glad you got some time to pop in. I am impressed, I have had a hydrangea for about 8 years, never a bloom not a single one. I finally transplanted it this past spring and it is much bigger than ever and much bigger than yours and still not a single flower. You have a magical touch and those colors are delightful. Thanks as well, I had no idea they were good for drying, if I ever get one I'll try it. You also remind me that I need to go looking for some new vases, that one is very pretty and I love the rectangular shape.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 6, 2008
12:15 PM

Post #5376001

Hi Karma, Nice to see your lovely elegant arrangement! Your containers are looking good, love the little pink Hydrangea too. Thanks for sharing!
The one I got for mothers day croaked!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2008
5:12 PM

Post #5377260

All you ladies are so sweet :)).

Karma - looks like you are the only one of us here successful with hydrangeas, and thanks for the lovely arrangement. It is one plant that I did not have in my garden. I got a rooted cutting from a roundup a couple of years ago, but it is still a tiny little thing. I finally put it into the ground a couple of months ago and hopefully it will be happier there. "Blushing bride" is a great name - I can see a bride walking down the aisle with a bouquet like your arrangement. Sans the vase of course, though I also think that is a great vase. You say your garden is about a year old - did you just move a year ago?

Candee - enjoy seeing the pictures of your drac - and no, I am not familar with that plant. It is a very striking plant and so healthy under your care. And your yard looks huge - no wonder that you have so many plants!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2008
6:15 PM

Post #5377463

Thank you Dianne, just 1/2 acre but well endowed with plantlife. Glad you liked the drac it is quite unusual, they are native to Greece.
No_Thyme
Colfax, WI

August 6, 2008
10:09 PM

Post #5378261

I love this thread -- and the flowers are beautiful. Obviously a lot of you have green thumbs -- and a talent for flower arranging.

I, too, love to bring the flowers indoors. It feels like such an indulgence to have them in the house. My latest is a flower that I was surprised to find works well as a cut flower -- Liatris/Blazing Star.

Put one large Liatris in a bud vase the other day -- totally modern arrangement. Really surprising. Luckily, I love to see 'something different' once in a while.

If I ever get the time (thyme :) ), I'll plant Baby's Breath again, more peonies (gotta love those), Peegee Hydrangea, Delphinium...

Thumbnail by No_Thyme

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 6, 2008
11:12 PM

Post #5378606

Hi No_Thyme , welcome to the thread! Love your liatris, where's the modern arrangement to go with it? LoL!
I planted some this year, but nothing! I think the squirrels dug them up! Thanks for sharing those.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2008
11:37 AM

Post #5380615

Nice to meet you no_thyme. Always love to see new faces, be sure to check out the other threads in this forum, we have a great time with arranging.
I just discovered what a great cut flower liatris is as well. I have been growing it for years but never cut until this year when it worked great as a candlestick arrangement. I couldn't believe how long it lasted and didn't even mind when the water was gone, it still thrived a few days. Would love to see your modern arrangement with it as well.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2008
4:51 PM

Post #5381908

Greetings also, No Thyme. I had liatrus back a few years ago - both the white and purple. They came back the first year, very little the second year, and then nothing the third year. Slugs may have been the problem. They are really neat cut flowers so I may try again. Yours look nice and healthy!

Candee - do you just leave your Drac in the ground to overwinter? In zone 6a, you must get a lot of freezing.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2008
6:38 PM

Post #5382391

We get a lot of freezing Dianne, but the dracs come back every year. I have had mine for about 8 years now. Tried to pot one for one of the RU's we hosted at the cabin, but it didn't survive. I just cut them to the ground when they are finished and they are one of the first signs of spring that I look for. I love them as they first begin growth as they look like a kind of palm tree.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2008
11:43 AM

Post #5385321

Thanks Candee. I bought the hydrangeas off the 75% off shelves at lowes last year! Most of the hydrangeas are endless summer hydrangeas, which bloom on new and old wood. Could that be why? Don't know about having that magical touch! Maybe it's the soil. I use the potting mixture that is posted in the sticky of the container gardening forum, and I really swear by it. As for the vase, you can find it at Walmart! Nowhere special.

Terri, thanks! Did you get the florist hydrangeas for Mother's Day? I knew this man who would bring home all the "croaked" ones from the store and plant them in his garden. They must have did well because he would bring the cut blooms to work.

Soils, thank you. My "blushing bride" is supposed to have a little blush to it as I've seen at the stores. Mine have bloomed white, and as the blooms fade, they turn green like in the arrangement. Thanks for asking, I only started seriously gardening a year ago when I joined DG. I lost my home in a hurricane 3 years ago, moved around for a year, had a baby, and finally settled in with my dad 2 years ago. My dad and I sort of have a partnership in gardening.

No Thyme, love your username. If I was clever enough, it would have been my name! I love liatris. Started some from seeds, and got only one to bloom! Welcome to the cut flowers forum. The ladies here are super nice and fun. Hope you stick around.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2008
11:52 AM

Post #5385361

I don't know Karma, I don't know what some of my plants are doing. The hydrangea has been around a long time and it has always died back to the ground every fall and then in spring looks like a brand new bush, never any bigger than the previous year and never a bloom. We shall see next year as I have transplanted it to another spot and have been putting my coffee grounds on it to give the soil a bit more acid, that in addition to crossing fingers.

I wanted to share this photo, Terri and Sue saw it at the cabin as it is all around the pond. It is joe pyeweed and I have just learned it is great when dried so will be cutting lots the next trip to the cabin. The plants are huge about 5-6' tall and just grand heads of blooms. Hope they are still going strong in 3-4 weeks as we won't be back up for a while.

Thumbnail by haighr

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2008
12:01 PM

Post #5385381

Candee, do you remove the old branches? If you do, then maybe that's the reason. Your hydrangea might be the kind that blooms from old wood only. I leave mine even though they look dead. Come spring, leaves will start coming out from them.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2008
12:07 PM

Post #5385400

Nope, never pruned it as a matter of fact it was in a spot where I almost never even saw it, just really happened upon it again this year and decided it was time to place it elsewhere. Perhaps next spring will have a return on my moving investment? Thanks for the info though so I will not touch it this year.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 10, 2008
5:59 PM

Post #5395412

solidago

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 10, 2008
6:01 PM

Post #5395419

Sunflower

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 10, 2008

Post #5395453

Using a vase with holes in the sides for the solidago.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 10, 2008
6:09 PM

Post #5395465

Sunflower in the top, nice for a low coffee table!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2008
10:36 PM

Post #5396478

Very cool vase Terri, I need to go find some more interesting vases for my stuff. You truly are an inspiration.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 11, 2008
1:59 PM

Post #5398961

Thanks friend! as sweet as Candy!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2008
4:20 PM

Post #5399599

Hi Terri - that is a neat arrangement for a coffee table setting as you pointed out. You always have such unique ideas. I have a short snail vase with holes in it - have not yet figured out how to use it. I'll take a photo of it and maybe you can give me some hints????
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 11, 2008
4:27 PM

Post #5399634

Thanks Dianne, yes lets see the vase!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 11, 2008
5:14 PM

Post #5399877

Here's the one I used, without the lid.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 11, 2008
5:17 PM

Post #5399891

There is room for water under the holes.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 11, 2008
5:18 PM

Post #5399896

A stone is holding the stems down!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2008
5:25 PM

Post #5399924

Well that is just too cool!
I am gonna have to go home today and search for some neat stuff, sort of a treasure hunt?

This message was edited Aug 11, 2008 1:26 PM
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 11, 2008
9:32 PM

Post #5400964

Cool Terri! Great use for that container. The solidago looks like rays of light.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 12, 2008
12:55 AM

Post #5401637

Thanks Karma! It had pot pouri inside when I got it.

I made something else today Dianne, but then I realised the flowers I used were from a florists not my garden!
Will have to find somewhere else to put it. LoL!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 12, 2008
1:01 AM

Post #5401662

Thanks Candee! Found any treasures yet?!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2008
5:10 PM

Post #5404429

Not yet!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2008
12:27 AM

Post #5405999

I chose a new grouping for the house this evening, I just love the zinnias and dahlias. I like this color combo as well.

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2008
12:34 AM

Post #5406015

A close up - I really like using the bloodgass, it keeps a long time as to the zinnias and dahlias. The colors go real well in our dining room.

Thumbnail by haighr

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2008
5:26 AM

Post #5407195

Nice arrangement, Candee. You sure have a nice variety of colored grasses and leaves.

I haven't looked at my "treasure" that I picked up at a flower garden show for so long that I had forgotten what it looked it. It is not a snail, but more of a conch shell. It has holes in the body, so it is more like a frog. The inside is hollow so the way it works must mean that I have to put the shell in a bowl of water. But, I figure if I added flowers to the holes, the shell holder would be all covered...so, I have not used it yet. Any suggestions??

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2008
5:27 AM

Post #5407199

view from the top

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2008
5:28 AM

Post #5407202

and view of the hollow inside

Thumbnail by soilsandup

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

August 13, 2008
7:43 AM

Post #5407316

Hi soils and all. I would use long stems in that shell, with oasis under of course, and yes, I guess you would have to put a container of some sort under it. Good luck.
Nice flowers Candee. I wish you'd shut up about the blood grass, as I have still to source it here! I even went to a nursery trade show, and they had all the same old, same old plants! I wish they'd get with the times and keep up with the trends!
Woo hoo, Terri!
Sue
PS, I'm not picking flowers as there is only a bit left in the garden, and I have visitors arriving next week.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2008
11:41 AM

Post #5407545

All right already Sue, nuf said, I'll keep it to myself LOL! Have you checked out the other grasses (not bloodgrass) in my arrangement on the outside arrangements? You are not gonna like that one any better!
I am sure your company will be astounded at the wealth of blooms and growth in your lovely beds.

Diann, thanks, I do have a variety to choose from and it makes a nice backdrop to the flowers.
That container is great, where do you find these things? I gotta keep my eyes open and think outside the box more. Sue is right oasis under and some sort of dish or tray underneath. Becareful with the tall stuff as it may have a tendency to tip in shallow oasis but will look stunning. Perhaps start out tall and then get short quickly with a big bold contrasting color. Then you could put a few more shells or stones on the plate beneath.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 13, 2008
12:52 PM

Post #5407792

Candee, nice arrangement. I love the bloodgrass and the complimentary foliage at the bottom. I made a trade with a lady on here for bloodgrass. Spent over $8 on postage to send her irises and haven't gotten my bloodgrassl. It's been over a month now. :( I decided I'm not ever going to trade again. It's probably cheaper to buy it somewhere.

Sue, could you order it online? Would they ship to Australia?

Soils, neat conch. I haven't thought of anything yet. I'm sure what you come up with will be great.

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2008

Post #5409406

Karma, I can send you some if I can keep the roots wet enough in wet paper bags and could try the same to aussie land if you want me to Sue, why don't you 2 dmail your addys to me.
I'll do whatever I can to get Sue off my back about this stuff LOL!

This message was edited Aug 13, 2008 2:24 PM
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 14, 2008
6:43 PM

Post #5414170

Nice arrangement Candee, lovely colours.

Dianne, that is a tricky one! both suggestions sound good. It could be placed in the bottom of a clear vase and filled up with water.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2008
8:08 PM

Post #5414463

Thank you Candee!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2008
9:27 PM

Post #5432326

Terri, Candee - thanks for the suggestions. Will have to come up with something for that conch shell. Here is a photo of my Japanese Anemone, with the naked ladies in the background.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2008
9:29 PM

Post #5432338

I am stretching it a bit to call the Japanese anemone a cut flower since the blossoms only last a couple of days, but I like it so much that I use them anyway. It makes a delicate arrangement, albeit short-lived.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2008
6:45 PM

Post #5437031

Lilium philippinense - a great lily to have as it is one of the latest blooming lilies. Has a nice, slight fragrance.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2008
6:50 PM

Post #5437048

I had to think twice before cutting these this morning, but since I got about 4 plants that actually survived from all the seeds that self-sow last year, I went ahead and cut them. They make beautiful cut flowers and lasts a long time. When I planted the leatherleaf fern, I did not expect it to get so big - almost as tall as I. But, it provides a nice backdrop for tall flowers.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2008
5:22 PM

Post #5442052

Dianne, I love the Japanese anemone - really looks interesting as a grouping. The lilies are lovely and will last a while I believe, least that has been my experience. Lucky you with the ferns. When I cut mine, they croak before the day is done. I hate that cause they provide such a nice backing as you show there.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2008
8:20 PM

Post #5442883

Candee - give the leatherleaf fern a try. Those last forever. I have grown maidenhairs, but they don't last at all, wilting fast. (and terribly hard to get rid up - I am still pulling them up) The boston ferns are too flimsy. Haven't tried any other ones.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2008
11:44 AM

Post #5451148

I'll look for the leatherleaf fern. Thanks for the info.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 25, 2008
6:20 PM

Post #5466087

Lovely arrangements Dianne! like the fan shape with the anemones in your jug, it looks airy and elegant.
The lily arrangement looks good using the ferns.
Candee, I always soak ferns underwater for few hours before use to help keep them hydrated for the arrangement.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2008

Post #5466103

Again learning something new every day. Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2008
8:13 PM

Post #5466496

Diane, more pretty arrangements! Haven't seen japanese anemones before. They look sort of whimsical in your garden. I like how you used the lilies and fern in your arrangement. Thoughtful placement of the ferns. Thanks for sharing.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 25, 2008
10:10 PM

Post #5466941

Sunflowers on my plot.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 25, 2008
10:12 PM

Post #5466948

Gladioli falling over!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 25, 2008
10:14 PM

Post #5466959

cornflowers

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 25, 2008
10:18 PM

Post #5466976

Glads and cornflowers

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 25, 2008
10:24 PM

Post #5467004

Sunflowers

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2008
10:57 PM

Post #5467213

Thanks, all.

Terri - you have a nice variety of flowers there. Neat vase too.

My plane leaves bright and early Thursday morning so I will not be posting anything here until October. Looking forward to seeing all of your garden pictures when I get home. If I am lucky, there will be still some of the white Japanese anenomes still blooming then - they are just opening up now.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 25, 2008
11:06 PM

Post #5467239

Thanks Dianne. we will miss you, it's a long time till October!!! Have a wonderful time

I'm sure there won't be anything flowering in my garden by the time you get back, but you never know!!
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2008
1:40 AM

Post #5467964

Terri, lovely! Not sure if I asked before, but are cornflowers the same as bachelor buttons? If so, mine sure didn't turn out like that. Yours is full of blooms and a vivid blue.

Dianne, you will be missed, but October?!?!?!?! I must have missed where you were going. Have a safe trip.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2008
7:09 AM

Post #5468847

Karma - I am leaving for Europe in two days - starting with a 9 day cruise from Amsterdam and ending in Barcelona, a week in Barcelona, a few days in Berlin, and 11 days in Denmark. Back for 5 days, then a week in Houston. I should be packing right now, but I wanted to get one more shot in before I left. Here is a photo of a purple echinacea. I am going to cheat and have you all use your imagination and picture it in a vase. I tried to grow some of the white and yellow variety, but they did not take. Thanks for all your good wishes and great suggestions for things to see...Looking forward to chatting with you all when I get back.

This message was edited Aug 26, 2008 12:11 AM

Thumbnail by soilsandup

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2008
11:31 AM

Post #5469143

Bye, bye Dianne, if you get a cyber cafe in your travels we would love to see photos of your adventures! We will be looking forward to your return with grand memories of stories and photos of your trip!

Terri, your plot is a jungle of plants. What a remarkable change from the seasons opening when you were just getting it ready, sure did take off! I love the glads, but they drive me nuts when they start falling over. I swear every year that if I had wanted them to come back they would not, but if I had one that I really liked, it never seems to make it. I am not planting anymore of them, if they come again fine, if not that is fine as well!

Oh, forgot Karma, my bachelor buttons are different from the coneflowers that Terri has shown. Mine are individual plants and they spread like wildfire so most have been erradicated.

This message was edited Aug 26, 2008 7:33 AM
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2008
1:54 PM

Post #5469604

Dianne, have a great time! Sounds exciting. The only trip in my near future is Disney World in Orlando, FL. No passport required. :(

Candee, same here! My garden looked so much better after I got rid of them. Thanks.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 26, 2008
2:31 PM

Post #5469767

Thanks Karma! yes, I think you do call them bachelor buttons. I have been collecting the seeds, if you want I can send you some!!!!!! I don't know if they will turn out the same blue but hopefully I will have more plants. In the photo there are two plants, one is a short variety and the other planted behind is taller. Oh by the way, Disney World Orlando is fabulous from what I remember!! Peyton will love it.

Dianne, Love your echinacea, the one I planted this year, just had a few leaves and now it looks very sorry for itself!! Hope you have time to drop into the cafe for a farewell cuppa or cocktail before you go!

Thanks Candee, I'm pleased with my plot this year, already thinking about what to grow where next year!! I agree about the glads, they are annoying falling over. I should have put sticks in earlier, but hey !!!!!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2008
11:58 AM

Post #5473501

I put supports for my glads and even then they collapse? There just seems to be no keeping them upright, much like a few of my ventures to the cafe LOL.
I took Tim and Tasha to Disney when they were young and it was a real great time, you will really enjoy it. Have you been before? When are you going?
Dianne, I have several colors of echinacea, some do much better than others, perhaps yours will come around next season?
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2008
6:10 PM

Post #5474771

Candee, Karma, and Terri - I did not really mind the floppiness of the glads when I was growing them. It was when I started to get deformed flowers and realized that there was a thrip problem that ended my gladiolus growing days. I read somewhere that to control the thrips, you have to constantly spray insecticide and I did not want to do that. Someone in one of the other DG forum mentioned spraying the area with garlic juice, so on my one remaining gladiolus patch, I may try that next spring. Do you have any problems with thrips?

Disney World Orlando is one place that I have never been to. I'm sure you'll have a good time there Karma.

Candee - as for the other colors of echinacea - I planted all the seeds that I had and since none survived, I won't have any to try for next year. Maybe I'll see you all at the cafe tonight.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 28, 2008
11:49 AM

Post #5477658

Will have to wait for your return Diann, but I have never heard of a thrip. Will look it up while you are gone.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

September 26, 2008
11:05 PM

Post #5603561

Collected this lot from the garden today...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

September 26, 2008
11:07 PM

Post #5603573

a mixed bunch!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2008
11:10 PM

Post #5610661

That is really pretty Terri, the white is really white isn't it?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

September 29, 2008
10:40 PM

Post #5614635

Thank you Candee. I do like my white rose. I have managed to root some stems, more roses next year hopefully!!
Thought I'd better do an arrangement here for Dianne's return LoL!!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2008
11:29 AM

Post #5616373

I wish I had better luck with roses, don't know what I do to them, but of many tried over the years only one has survived and it never amounts to much.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2008
6:47 AM

Post #5735899

Terri - what a lovely bouquet to come back to!!!! It has taken me awhile to settle back into the routine. The landing at work looked really bare, so I figure I should get a few more bouquets out before everything is dying back. Pictured here in the yard is white Japanese anenome and a red dahlia. The dahlia is a new purchase this year, and I love that rich, dark, red.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2008
6:51 AM

Post #5735905

and here it is in an arrangement with a few leatherleaf ferns. The ferns are one of my mainstays for greenery - with cutable (is that a word?) fronds throughout most of the year. I should move it over to the cafe for the weekend - I vaguely remember reading something about looking for black and red arrangements to go with the modern look? The white Japanese anenomes last a few days longer than the purple ones.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2008
11:43 AM

Post #5736095

Stunning Dianne, what a vibrant red! Get it over to the cafe quick!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 31, 2008
5:58 PM

Post #5737290

Very pretty Dianne, love the Dahlia, which one is that? I bet they missed your arrangements at work when you were away! It does look modern and airy, lovely. It will fit in with the modern arrangements at the cafe perfectly!
Glad to have you back, looking forward to the next one!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America