Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Sowing seeds outdoor and mulching beds?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 2, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wishfulgarden
Hingham, MA

May 14, 2008
12:14 AM

Post #4947405

I'm in the middle of creating a raised bed and have mulched part of it with the perennial plants that I have planted. I'd like to sow seeds directly into a secondary raised bed in the middle of my larger bed (cockscomb and alyssum together). Because everything is mulched, it will look better if the raised bed is mulched, but I'm worried that the seeds won't germinate and the seedlings won't grow if I put mulch on after sowing.

Would it be inadvisable to mulch after direct sowing these seeds? If so, is it inadvisible to mulch after direct sowing *any* seeds or only very small seeds?

Thanks so much for the advice!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2008
1:15 AM

Post #4947624

I'd wait until after the seedlings sprout and are big enough that you can mulch around them. One of the reasons why people mulch is to help block weed seeds from sprouting, but unfortunately it'll have a similar effect on your desirable seeds. If it's a tough plant and you have a lot of seeds, chances are some of them would make it up through the mulch, but you'll have better success without it. And I'd avoid mulching until the seeds come up regardless of the seed size, I don't think that would make a difference.
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

May 14, 2008
2:02 PM

Post #4949675

If I have a large area and want to keep the weeds down while my seeds are sprouting, I mulch first then clear small areas to plant the seeds in. That way, weeds are controlled in most of the bed and I only have the small areas I've cleared to plant seeds. Just a little circular area is enough to put two or three seeds in each area. Even with my mulch being 2 inches, the seeds get plenty of light to grow. It's a little extra work but less than weeding!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America