Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: Using what you have Yellow Poplar (tulip tree)

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 15, Views: 177
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JulieQ
Bella Vista, AR
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2008
4:55 PM

Post #4950410

After one of our recent storms here in Alabama, I found some poplar branches in my yard. I decided to enjoy them inside for a few days. The blooms are hard to see way up in the tree, but up close they are really beautiful.

Thumbnail by JulieQ
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jeffinsgf
Brighton, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2008
5:16 PM

Post #4950490

Lovely, Julie! I planted 25 Tulip Poplars from the Missouri Department of Conservation around my property this spring. It will be several years before they're big enough to bloom, but your picture gives me something to look forward to.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2008
5:29 PM

Post #4950545

You can never notice those blossoms WAAAAAY up in the tree, but they are beautiful.
jeffinsgf
Brighton, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2008
7:05 PM

Post #4950915

I love the leaf shape of the tulip poplar, too. So unique.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

May 16, 2008
11:56 PM

Post #4962000

What wonderful flowers, I live in UK and will have to wait till July/August for my Tulip tree to flower, I have had it growing about 15 years and last year it eventually flowered for me after I threatened to chop it down, but I was so glad to at last get it to blossom, well worth the long wait, I love the Autumn colours on the foliage as it turns from green to a wonderful amber/rust colour, and the shape of the leaved remind me of horses saddles somehow, your Picture made my day, so thank you, I look forward to summer as last. Good Luck and happy gardening. WeeNel.
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 17, 2008
3:50 AM

Post #4962993

I just planted two of those trees since they're host trees for the Tiger Swallowtails. Not being old enough to bloom yet, I wondered what the bloom looks like. Great picture!

The shape of those leaves remind me of horses too! Maybe a saddle, I don't know why but that is what they remind me of.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2008
9:21 PM

Post #4969923

A bunch of us took a trip to Longwood Gardens yesterday. Link here if you want to see some pics...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/850074/

I knew Tulip trees usually top out at about 80'. They have 1 there that is the tallest in North America at 150'. Man was this thing TALL.
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 18, 2008
10:32 PM

Post #4970273

That's a garden and history trip I'd like to take. Amazing even through pictures. Thanks for the link. Made me do a little googling too to find out more about the history of the house. I'm glad Mr. Dupont (sp) bought it just to save the trees! That Gingko (mentioned in the history search) is one of the oldest living trees in the world. Did you happen to see it and the magnolia? There's so much to see in the good o;' USA!
During my research into Tiger ST's, I learned that the Tulip Poplar, Liriodendron tulipifera is the tallest tree east of the Miss. River.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2008
10:53 PM

Post #4970359

You know, everything is so "larger than life" there you just couldn't take it all in. I am definately going back and try to go each season. There is so much to see. You should see the base of the wisteria vines on the house, they were like tree trunks.
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 18, 2008
11:02 PM

Post #4970407

Makes you wonder just how old those wisteria vines are! I'm sure it would take several visits to see it all. Especially just to soak up the scenery, very awe-inspiring. The Princess trees were goreous!
mommy232
Byron, GA

May 27, 2008
6:11 PM

Post #5010639

How long does it take before the trees start blooming? I have several in my yard none of them have bloomed yet:(

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2008
8:27 PM

Post #5011226

Mommy232-How tall are yours? If they are real tall you may not even have noticed the flowers. From underneath they do blend in with the leaves.
mommy232
Byron, GA

May 29, 2008
4:15 AM

Post #5018811

Mine is about 10- 12 ft tall. Do they bloom right after they put on leaves? I went out and really checked mine out and I did not see any blooms. The blooms are very pretty and I would love to find some one mine:)
Thanks

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2008
5:06 PM

Post #5020935

After they leaf out flowers appear May-June, then the outer part of the blossom falls away to reveal the seeds that linger even after leaves have fallen.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 3, 2008
3:29 AM

Post #5044299

from the Royal Botanical Gardens in Edinburgh Scotland, the tree's wont flower before they are about 15-16 years old, but maybe in warmer climates this will be sooner, Mine is about 14-15 years old and was only about 2 feet high when bought, believe me, you will soon know when yours flowers as every year you will be looking, nothing, then these lovely sauser shaped flowers appear on the tips of the branches, wonderful. good luck everyone. WeeNel.
GrammyJo
Granite City, IL
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2008
6:43 AM

Post #5044819

We have had Tulip Trees in our neighborhood for many, many years (in Illinois very near St. Louis, MO). Those that have survived over these past 34 years are very large and stately. We've lost many of them over the years too for various reasons, always so sad to me since they are such beautiful trees. Then one of the several tornadoes we've had go through this same neighborhood (either last summer or the summer before last) really wreaked havoc on many of them, two of those being in our yard (one in front and one in the back). I neglected to get those broken large branches pruned back to undamaged wood as of yet (very important) and will do so for sure this fall when the leaves are gone again.

The tree in the back we had planted when it was about 8' tall, a good size young tree. It probably took 12-15 yrs for it to get mature enough to flower, perhaps even a bit longer. We've had blooms on all of ours for maybe a good month and a half now and still have many buds getting ready to open. I just wanted to mention another really neat aspect of having these wonderful Poplars, being that Cedar Waxwings (very cool birds) LOVE Tulip Trees! I don't know if it's the nectar they like, the actual petals, or the many bugs that the flowers draw but we had a very nice size little flock or 'group' of them for about 3 weeks and they finally moved on about a week ago (I MISS them too!). While they were here I also discovered that CW's love the petals of my Washington Hawthorn tree also. It is so stunning in flower and while that little flock was enjoying the Tulip flowers I realized that they were also DEVOURING my Hawthorn blossoms! I took many photos of them doing so. My husband and I 1st thought they were after the bugs the blossoms were attracting but then I realize they were actually having a salad instead. They methodically removed almost EVERY petal from the thousands on our (rather large) tree within about 3 days, leaving our lovely tree looking more like a 'baby’s breath' tree. I dealt with it though since watching them made it quite tolerable. ;o) The image I've uploaded is cropped. I apologize for the red color 'bleed' on the flowers but it was taken with my zoom open a lot and I'd also allowed more light into the shot since it was in shadow to quite an extent. I'll correct that later but wanted to post this now. You can see that most of the petals are gone in this cropped photo. Imagine what the whole tree looked like with almost all of them gone!

Thumbnail by GrammyJo
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America