Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Houseplants: Mold on surface of soil, how can I prevent it.

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 9, Views: 108
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mindnova
summersville, WV
(Zone 5b)

May 15, 2008
2:03 PM

Post #4954599

In my houseplants, I have trouble with mold on the surface of the potting mix. I get this every time, and I do water sparingly. As a matter of fact if I cut back enough to keep the surface dry the plants wilt. My house humidity stays about 50% and no where else in my home do I have problems with mold(Been told I'm a bit of a neat freak by my wife) and I'm just about to toss plants out the door. I also worry because my wife's grandson has mold allergies. He has stayed here for a week at a time and no problems but, this is nasty.

Thank you
barhea7
(Bre) Sellersville, PA
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2008
2:16 PM

Post #4954652

Hydrogen Peroxide works great for this. I use to have the same problem on a few houseplants and also have mold allergies.
There are quite a few posts about this on here but I found the best method that works for me is - 1 gallon of water and about 1/4 cup of the regular household peroxide.
good luck!
bre
growgirl59
Saint Louis, MO

May 15, 2008
2:17 PM

Post #4954657

When I get this on the surface of my houseplants I carefully break up the soil with a fork, leaving the soil "fluffed up". If mold forms again, I spray a bleach/water solution on the soil only. I mix this at a rate of 1 pt. bleach to 10 pt. water. I think a lack of air movement is the culprit. Once I put my plants outside for the spring/summer the mold stops forming. I'm sure there's other solutions for this problem out there. This has always worked for me, but I would imagine some plants could be damaged by the bleach solution. Haven't noticed any damage though.
Forgot to mention above, but if the layer of mold is pretty solid I just scrape it off and throw it out. Top dress with a very loose potting soil (with lots of perlite).
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 15, 2008
2:19 PM

Post #4954667

Those are some good suggestions if it is mold, but I'm wondering if it might be hard water/salt buildup instead? Typically you won't get mold on the surface unless you're watering a little too much, but especially if you have hard water or if you fertilize fairly frequently and the plants have been in the same pot for a while it could very well be hard water buildup instead. If it's fuzzy though then it's definitely mold, the hard water/salt buildup looks more crusty.
growgirl59
Saint Louis, MO

May 15, 2008
11:26 PM

Post #4956892

Oh, right ecrane...I didn't think about that. Actually that makes sense since he indicated he gets it everytime he waters. Mold would take a while to grow. Salt buildup disappears when wet and reappears when dry. If that's the case, I guess it's best to scrape the surface and topdress and leach the soil from time to time. Is there a better method of getting rid of the crust?
Chris
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2008
12:40 AM

Post #4957270

It might be time to change your potting mix--if it's been in the same pot for a while and you haven't changed out the potting mix it would probably be a good idea to do so. No need to put it in a larger pot unless it needs it, but the potting mix needs to be refreshed on occasion. If there's salt crust on the top, there's also probably too much salt spread throughout the pot just you can't see it, so I'd go for changing out most of the soil not just replacing the top part.

The other thing you can do to help prevent it is to give the plant a good flushing with water from time to time--instead of just "topping off" the plant when it's a little dry at the top, let it dry out a bit more and then give it a really good thorough flushing with water, that'll help prevent salts from building up as much in the first place.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

May 17, 2008
8:06 PM

Post #4965328

Let the soil surface go dry between waterings. Try bottom watering as well.
mindnova
summersville, WV
(Zone 5b)

May 26, 2008
1:16 AM

Post #5002976

ecrane3 it is fuzzy, so I guess its mold. I've tried stirring the top of the soil and it eventually comes back. The peroxide sounds best. This is miracle grow potting soil and a few others. I wonder if the mold or fungus is in the mix as I have used a sandy potting mix without all the sticks and bark particles. I do water from the bottom up on most of my plants (unless I keep the base to full) so I thought that would fix things.

thanks for all the suggestions everyone.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2008
2:17 AM

Post #5003269

I'd still try letting things dry out a bit, I've never had trouble with mold unless things were a little too wet. The hydrogen peroxide should work to kill it off, but if you keep things a bit too wet then it can come back.
WhatsTHAT
Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 26, 2008
2:39 AM

Post #5003354

Oh thank you!! I didn't even know I had this problem!!

You cannot post until you register and login.


Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM


We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.
 

Hope for America