-
AuthorContent
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 15, 2008
3:30 PM

Post #4954985

Zone envy usually is extended from persons living in colder climates to those of us that can grow tropical plants outdoors. In this case, I would love to have a Dicentra spectabile, but they really don't seem to tolerate our hot, humid summers in zone 8b/9a NE Florida (along with peonies, lilacs, and some other things I would love to grow). D. exima is supposed to grow in 9a, but I've not yet had a chance to try one. I ordered one from a catalog once, only to be shipped D. spectabile as an out-of-stock substitution. The D. spectabile made an attempt to grow during the cool, dry spring, but quickly succumbed to the heat. I may look into some of the dwarf varieties of Dicentra to see if any of them have more heat tolerance. Thanks for the great article that let me know that just maybe I can have a Bleeding Heart someday!

Jeremy

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2008
6:26 PM

Post #4955767

Oh, Jeremy, I personally think Zone Envy can go in any direction! And now, thanks to Todd, I have to reconsider - have the town cut down the nasty maple tree that's killing all my sun-loving plants, or convert it to a woodland, with Dicentra, Columbine and little bulbs. Thank you, Todd. I'll need to think more about the Dicentras now!
joegee
Bucyrus, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2008
8:20 PM

Post #4956185

I have d. spectabile, it really is a spectacular plant. Jeremy, I wish we could just swap square yards of garden space, so I could have maybe three square yards of your zone 9, and you could have three square yards of my zone 5-6. :)

You can grow dicentra scandens, http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=dicentra&searcher[species]=scandens&searcher[cultivar]=&searcher[hybridizer]=&search_prefs[blank_cultivar]=&search_prefs[sort_by]=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search. That's quite a stunning plant. :)

-Joe
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 15, 2008
9:00 PM

Post #4956344

Hi, Joe. I would be happy to trade a few square yards of subtropical landscape for the opportunity to have some Zone 6a tulips, D. spectabile, lilacs and peonies. Maybe we should just arrange a house swap every few months so we have the best of both worlds? LOL

Thanks greatly for the tip on Dicentra scandens! Wow! A heat tolerant Bleeding Heart that is a vine and yellow to boot! The Plant Files notes say it takes more sun than the other Dicentra. I have the perfect spot for it on a 10 foot wire wall I constructed last year from concrete reinforcement grid I fished out of a dumpster at a construction site to revamp I-95 a few blocks from my house. After years of searching, I recently finally received a Blue Shrimp Plant (Cerinthe major) seedling from a Florida DG friend, so now I can make my holy grail the Dicentra scandens for future plant searches.

Jeremy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Bleeding Hearts - Bizarre is Beautiful Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
so many bleeding hearts, so little time! Kathleen 3 May 15, 2008 7:30 PM
Beautiful! melody 4 May 19, 2008 11:49 PM
Is it proper to trim Star Magnolia Bush? And when??? _ Af baurer 1 May 25, 2008 11:32 PM
I didn't know... nanny_56 0 May 15, 2008 10:50 PM
How Different? Cosmobetty 3 May 29, 2008 1:49 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America