Tales from the Crypt!

Stamford, CT

Here is the glorious hypertufa crypt my husband made...this big daddy weighs about 400 lbs, Jeff was smart enough to construct the mold ON the dolly so we could wheel it down to it's mossy bed in our new pinetum. Filled it with tassle ferns and it looks great! what fun!

Thumbnail by abbyday
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Very nice! It certainly is the perfect companion for your ferns. Good thing your DH planned ahead!

Bozeman, MT(Zone 4b)

What a gorgeous photo!

Gilbert, AZ

Coming from the desert, the results of your project and the area you've placed it are seriously breath taking!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

beautiful, how did he do it? is there blocks inside?

Stamford, CT

Hello everyone! Jeff created a mould with plywood, scraps of wood and screws. Made a form, looked like a coffin with a smaller open top box inside. As he was pouring the mixture of: peat moss, portland cement, spagum moss, vermiculite and some sticks and pine needles..he wedged in what looks like heavy duty chicken wire - I think it is for stabilizing cement. So pour half of the mixture in the mould, stick the mesh supports, important to bend them and create corners!! then pour in the rest of the mixture. As I stated making the form on a dolly is paramount..we let it dry/cure for a few weeks before moving it at all, then unmoulded on location after carting it very carefully. Wish you could appreciate the size of this thing, I need to take a photo with something near it to show scale. Hope that helps!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

pls post a picture, i would love to see the "coffin"

Stamford, CT

Hello Cupcake, Here is another angle and there is a photo is in the first message of this thread. Do not have the actual mould anymore, he disassembled it when the "crypt" was unmoulded, so sorry no pictures of that. You can make anysize (within reason) mould, or use a big bucket or something you could cut away. Not sure of the actual recipe but you can find them online. Hope that helps!

Thumbnail by abbyday
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

boy you weren't kidding about the size! Love it!

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

"Wow."

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images