Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Japanese Maples: My favorite maples ...

Communities > Forums > Japanese Maples
bookmark
Forum: Japanese MaplesReplies: 8, Views: 132
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2008
2:32 AM

Post #4957769

Autumn Full Moon maple ... this tree just gets better every year.

Thumbnail by roxysgarden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2008
2:32 AM

Post #4957772

Another of the Autumn Full Moon ...

Thumbnail by roxysgarden

roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2008
2:33 AM

Post #4957775

New this year ... Kamagata

Thumbnail by roxysgarden

roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2008
2:34 AM

Post #4957783

Also new this year ... Mikawa yatsubusa

Thumbnail by roxysgarden

roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2008
2:37 AM

Post #4957799

My last new maple this year ... Aratama

Thumbnail by roxysgarden

Davidsan
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2008
3:26 AM

Post #4958004

for most folks the autumn moon is a good choice and a beautiful tree if you can give it alot of shade or all day dappled sun which is best so you get some color( contrary to how it is advertized it will still fry in much sun not as badly as the full moon but that is not saying much :>))... it does much better than full moon all around in my area but needs good drainage and just the right amount of sun ... the others are great all around except the Aratama ... a truly beautiful tree that is very touchy ...it is not for everyone it has both a late flush making it not good for colder areas with early frosts or even normal frosts and tends to have alot of winter die back... it is also VERY water sensitive it does not like to be wet ...I am on my third and last try on this one...and if it dies it ...which I am pretty sure it will ...I will put this in my "for only perfect JM growing areas list"... of course all of thse comments are for more northern lower zones ... as I said in perfect areas they should do fine ..and as always there are exceptions but these comments are not just from me and my experiences but many otthers who have posted on varias forums .but the comments on Autumn Moon is for all areas IMHO.It can be a great tree just about everywhere with car ...not though for the non chalant Jm'r .David

This message was edited May 15, 2008 10:33 PM
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 16, 2008
3:15 PM

Post #4959670

Lucky you in perfect JM world Roxy. Very lovely and the photos are so good. I just got an Aratama too and am being careful about watering it as David said.
roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 17, 2008
12:09 AM

Post #4962063

I'm trying to find a good place to put the Aratama in the ground ... my yard is so small! I tend to be pretty frugal when watering all my maples - and I have a moisture meter that I poke in the ground to see if the soil is still moist, especially with my potted maples. It is a beautiful tree, for sure! I wasn't even looking for another red, but it caught my eye when I bought my Kamagata and Mikawa and I brought it home without really knowing what I was going to do with it. I guess that's the sign of a true addiction.

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 17, 2008
2:21 AM

Post #4962626

That certainly is the sign of true addiction. You can always keep it in a pot which will keep it smaller. I have four in pots.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Japanese Maples Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Japanese maple Ginger_H 6 Sep 13, 2008 11:19 PM
Threadleaf Japanese Maple hczone6 6 Mar 1, 2010 1:36 AM
MY jm's that survived and thrived last winter zone 5b Davidsan 38 Feb 26, 2010 12:05 AM
Largosmom's Japanese Maples largosmom 62 Nov 22, 2007 8:55 PM
Can you tell me what kind this is? nikki_conway 23 Apr 17, 2008 1:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America