Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

My favorite maples ...

Puyallup, WA(Zone 8a)

Autumn Full Moon maple ... this tree just gets better every year.

Thumbnail by roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA(Zone 8a)

Another of the Autumn Full Moon ...

Thumbnail by roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA(Zone 8a)

New this year ... Kamagata

Thumbnail by roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA(Zone 8a)

Also new this year ... Mikawa yatsubusa

Thumbnail by roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA(Zone 8a)

My last new maple this year ... Aratama

Thumbnail by roxysgarden
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

for most folks the autumn moon is a good choice and a beautiful tree if you can give it alot of shade or all day dappled sun which is best so you get some color( contrary to how it is advertized it will still fry in much sun not as badly as the full moon but that is not saying much :>))... it does much better than full moon all around in my area but needs good drainage and just the right amount of sun ... the others are great all around except the Aratama ... a truly beautiful tree that is very touchy ...it is not for everyone it has both a late flush making it not good for colder areas with early frosts or even normal frosts and tends to have alot of winter die back... it is also VERY water sensitive it does not like to be wet ...I am on my third and last try on this one....and if it dies it ...which I am pretty sure it will ...I will put this in my "for only perfect JM growing areas list"... of course all of thse comments are for more northern lower zones ... as I said in perfect areas they should do fine ..and as always there are exceptions but these comments are not just from me and my experiences but many otthers who have posted on varias forums .but the comments on Autumn Moon is for all areas IMHO.It can be a great tree just about everywhere with car ...not though for the non chalant Jm'r .David

This message was edited May 15, 2008 10:33 PM

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Lucky you in perfect JM world Roxy. Very lovely and the photos are so good. I just got an Aratama too and am being careful about watering it as David said.

Puyallup, WA(Zone 8a)

I'm trying to find a good place to put the Aratama in the ground ... my yard is so small! I tend to be pretty frugal when watering all my maples - and I have a moisture meter that I poke in the ground to see if the soil is still moist, especially with my potted maples. It is a beautiful tree, for sure! I wasn't even looking for another red, but it caught my eye when I bought my Kamagata and Mikawa and I brought it home without really knowing what I was going to do with it. I guess that's the sign of a true addiction.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

That certainly is the sign of true addiction. You can always keep it in a pot which will keep it smaller. I have four in pots.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.