Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Montauk Daisies, Nipponanthemum nipponicum: propagation

Communities > Forums > Article: Montauk Daisies, Nipponanthemum nipponicum
bookmark
Forum: Article: Montauk Daisies, Nipponanthemum nipponicumReplies: 5, Views: 100
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pamsaplantin
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2008
4:17 AM

Post #4958308

This plant may be started easily from herbaceous cuttings. I currently have a whole flat of them, which I started from my spring prunings. I also started a container full by WS from saved seed. They appear to be just like the parent plant but i won't know for sure until it blooms. I have had this plant for many years & didn't know what it was until recently. It was labeled as an aster when I purchased it.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2008
4:24 AM

Post #4958327

Thanks so much for adding some good information!
Annepaola
Manahawkin, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2008
1:31 PM

Post #4973085

I didn't realize that this plant was attractive to butterflies. It is a good sturdy addition to the garden and grows rapidly. I had something - a deer I think gnaw off the front of it this spring, or perhaps it was a big rabbit. It does root fairly easily and now that I know it is a butterfly plant I will keep all those dozens of plants I started when I cut my big plant back. It does get to the rough rangy point where you want to discard it however. When we divided it into root segments and planted it in a wilder part of our property it redeemed itself with nice growth.
figaro52
Oak Lawn, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2008
1:36 PM

Post #4973098

Although rated for zones 6-10, it grows very reliably in zone 5. A super hardy plant -- a star of the late fall garden as it blooms for me in October. I wouldn't be without it!
pamsaplantin
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2008
12:30 AM

Post #4975831

Annepaola
I thought mine was going to look bad this spring before I cut it back because the stems were so woody. But after a really good pruning it has put on beautiful herbaceous growth & it looks like new. I also usually give it another pruning in early summer to promote an even bushier plant. I don't know if you're supposed to do that or not but I prune it when I prune the mums. And it is always fantastic come fall.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2009
5:40 AM

Post #6684871

This is now my second spring with this plant. It overwintered great and I moved part of it to another area. Like pamsplantin, I rooted my early spring (just out of dormancy) prunings, and I also recently cut it midway as we've had so much rain I was afraid it would get soft and too tall and by the end of summer. It bloomed well last fall but I can't find a picture at the moment.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Montauk Daisies, Nipponanthemum nipponicum Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wonderful plant for the Maine coast tebo2 3 Jun 16, 2009 1:19 PM
Nipponanthemum nipponicum Lynne_ 1 Jun 16, 2009 1:22 PM
Growing montauk daisies from seed harveyputterdds 1 Dec 21, 2009 1:56 PM
Yay! Mrs_Ed 2 May 5, 2011 11:41 AM
Montauk Daisies AliceAzure 0 Jul 3, 2012 6:46 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America