Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Dried Flowers???

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 26, Views: 154
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2008
5:14 PM

Post #4960245

I have a wealth of cut flowers that I need to dry as a tribute to a dear young man. I have them wired and hanging upside down in my garage. There is quite a variety from roses, daisies, delphinium and many others.
This this the correct way to handle them? I figured who better to ask than my dear friends.
Any creative ideas of how I might best put them together with their respective cards and bows? I was thinking I would keep each group of flowers selected from each arrangement in individual groupings, but somehow put the entire grouping together as one arrangement?
I appreciate any ideas you might share. I'll post a photo of the array when I am able.
Candee
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2008
11:46 AM

Post #4977509

Just bumping this thread to ask for ideas. I have about 12 individual groupings of a few flowers and ferns and a few bows. I was thinking that when the flowers are dried, I would tie them with the ribbon that was on some of the arrangements.
Josh and his family are avid ball players, Kolby is 5 and Kendall 9 and they both love the game and their dad was their coach. Josh's # was 4 and I thought I might place the flowers into the #4, on a green cloth backdrop which was the team color, but then thought that seemed a bit goofy.
Also had an idea of just attaching each bunch to a rope and make some sort of swag idea?
As you can see nothing has really inspired me yet and it will take several weeks for them to dry so will work on my ideas.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2008
8:39 PM

Post #4979769

This is for josh and his family? If so, how about making a pomander (flower ball) of dried flowers? You can make a loop with the ribbon and attach it to a styrofoam ball for hanging purposes. Attach sheet moss with hairpins, cut all your flowers at the same length and insert into the ball. It would be cool if the kids are into soccer or baseball, then you could group your flowers to make a soccer or baseball pattern?
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2008
11:15 PM

Post #4980376

Yes it is Karma. They are very much into baseball, Josh was #4, the team played a memorial game and it was spectacular. That is really a neat idea but not sure how the ferns and greenery would work as it would have to be a huge ball, wait I could make an individual ball for each grouping and then what? The team colors are green/white.
I really like the ribbon for hanging idea and the ball idea, now must get my thinking cap on, thanks so much you are a dear for helping.
Perhaps I could use the flower balls that are cut in half and arrange in a shadow box in the shape of #4? Then I could use a bit of the greenery on each half ball and place the name cards nearby or just forget the cards and give them to her separately, if okay with Tasha no need to include in the arrangement?
Wow, Karma you have been so helpful and really giving me some "outside the box" ideas to make this really memorable.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

May 23, 2008
3:25 PM

Post #4992766

Hi Candee,
Sorry to hear your sad news. I think using the dried flowers from everyones tributes is a lovely idea,
I haven't really done much with dried flowers. I was thinking, how about making a tree of rememberance.
Binding stems with twigs together for the trunk and branches. Arranging your flowers and wiring them together.
Each flower arrangement could be glued or pinned to the relevant card and attatched to the branches of the tree with ribbons..
Using a heavy pot for the base.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2008
3:50 PM

Post #4992921

That is another great idea, thanks Terri. I'll run both of these ideas by Tasha and she what she likes.
I am thinking the idea from Karma may work a bit better as it could be kept under glass and likely would last longer, but I really like the tree of life idea.
Thanks again
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2008
12:38 AM

Post #5406026

I bound them with twine. Steve made the ladder from old barnwood and it came out beautifully. I had the cards with each group, but didn't like it so just punched holes in them and tied them with ribbon strands from bows that were on some of the arrangements.
I didn't do anything yet with the arrangement from the family, will put that in a separate shadowbox with the rod n reel and turkey feathers etc since Josh was an avid hunter.
Tara loved the ladder, we presented it to her last evening, she was w/o words.

Thumbnail by haighr
Click the image for an enlarged view.

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2008
12:42 AM

Post #5406040

Here is another angle

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2008
12:43 AM

Post #5406050

Just one more, the dried flowers didn't come out too bad do you think?

Thumbnail by haighr

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 13, 2008
1:10 AM

Post #5406156

Beautiful, a great idea making a ladder for the bunches of flowers, they dried lovely. Unique and respectful. Well done.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2008
1:16 AM

Post #5406187

Glad you approve, thought is was quite nice idea. I don't dry much in the way of flowers, have one swag by our fireplace with flowers mixed from arrangements over the years. I do dry a lot of lavender cause it smells so divine.

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 13, 2008
1:43 PM

Post #5408011

Very nice, Candee. It turned out great. Thanks for sharing it with us.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2008
12:30 AM

Post #5410814

I was so pleased as I don't do this except drying for me so wasn't sure of the outcome although I can always count on Steve to make something special!
sawpalm
Winston Salem, NC

September 23, 2008
3:36 AM

Post #5587695

Is there a "community" on drying and preserving flowers? Is this the right place to ask questions? I want to dry some flowers and wonder if it's best to air dry, use silica gel, press them in a book (or flower press), etc. Thanks for your suggestions or steering me to the right place to get info.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2008
12:10 PM

Post #5588280

I don't believe there is a specific forum, but you may want to check the community thread and make sure one hasn't recently begun.
Personally I dry mine in a dry, dark, cool basement and most of the time they do rather nicely for me.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2008
6:56 PM

Post #5609822

Could anyone tell me which method you use for drying Eucalyptus? The glycerine or the hanging to dry without soaking in glycerine? I am having trouble with my Euc drying without shrivvling (sp) at the tips. I think the plants were too young when I cut it. If you have any information on drying Euc. please share it with me. I have so much to harvest and do not want to do it until I know what I am doing. Thank you.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2008
11:04 PM

Post #5610641

Well I have some dried euc and just cut and hung it upside down and it did not furl.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2008
12:49 PM

Post #5612400

haighr, did you cut it from an older bush or tree or did you cut it from a young plant? I have never had this happen before and I am trying to find out what is going on with it. I read the plants should be two or three years old before you cut. That could have been my problem. I have a field of beautiful plants but most of them are young.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2008
2:52 PM

Post #5612982

Actually I cut mine from the young plant and the plant did not survive but the euc cuttings still look fine. I was going to take a photo for you, but left my good camera at the cabin by mistake. Perhaps I can take a photo with my old camera and show you.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2008
9:25 PM

Post #5614388

Thanks, I did mine just as I have done so many flowers but they look awful. I will not be able to sell them but I will be able to use them by snipping off the tops in my own designs. I get so angry when things like this happens. It takes so long to grow some of these plants and then I screw up. Oh well, live and learn. Except, I am 80 now and you would think I would have learned by now. Ha!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2008
11:41 AM

Post #5616397

Well, getting angry at yourself just proves that you are a perfectionist! But don't beat yourself up over it, no matter how old we get we can still manage to screw things up once in a while, good way to teach ourselves a lesson!

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2008
5:48 PM

Post #5617860

I guess you figured me out quickly. I am a real pain in the butt sometimes when it comes to my pets and my plants. Have a great day and think about me if the weather gets cooler and stops raining, I am going to cut more Euc. I dried the others in the barn and I think I will do it in a different place this time.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2008
1:05 AM

Post #5619518

LOL of me thinkin of you during the weather, we are in the mts. here and will be toasting our tootsies long before you at the beach LOL!
Hope your euc does well in the barn, keep me posted!
Candee

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2008
1:30 PM

Post #5620981

Hey Candee, Maryland if one of my favorite places. I was raised in Lancaster County, PA and we had a houseboat at Trojan Harbor in Maryland. We spend everyday there that we could when my husband was alive.. I miss Maryland and Gablers (sp) Crabs.
I will keep you posted. Thanks for being so nice and friendly. Jacquie
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2008
6:30 PM

Post #5622129

It's a pleasure chatting with you Jacquie! We are in the mts. of md and have a cabin even further west in md and just love it up here. Only complaint is I wish the winters were just a bit shorter, seems spring comes later every year for us.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2009
8:33 PM

Post #5957450

haighr and everyone, I have a thread going called Botanicals Cut and dried, come on over and take a look there for some more dried flower ideas.

And haighr, yours did turn out quite lovely I might add.
Our respects to you and yours.

Now you have me wondering if anyone else has a thread going for other sympathy or even cemetary bouquets. If not perhaps we could start one showing them...I know its a sad subject, but I am sure there are those here that do them, myself included.

If there are no objections, I will start a new post called Deepest Regards and post a few I have done and others can join with theirs there too.

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2009
9:16 PM

Post #5961712

Will love to pop over to your Deepest Regards blossombuddy. It is something most flower lovers do at one time or another for a loved one and something to be treasured for all time.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America