Photo by Melody

Article: Love for Lemongrass: Great information!

Communities > Forums > Article: Love for Lemongrass
bookmark
Forum: Article: Love for LemongrassReplies: 5, Views: 76
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

May 17, 2008
5:36 PM

Post #4964802

How timely can it get? I just rec'd two one-gallon lemongrass plants from a DGer. I would like to keep at least one in a pot on the deck. Any recommendations for that, Tamara? And potpourri! I'll have to look for a recipe. I don't like flowery scents in the house - lemon is perfect.

Thanks so much for the article.
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2008
10:49 PM

Post #4965923

Again, very timely. Our Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) farm just added lemongrass to their herb garden for the members' enjoyment.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

May 17, 2008
11:53 PM

Post #4966207

You said 'bulb'? Does lemon grass grow like guinea grass? I see it for sale sometimes, but what is offered is one measly 'stalk' of grass. Would it take long to grow harvestable stalks? Does harvesting a stalk kill the plant, or make it grow more? Would a 50-50 composted manure best suit the most growth? Will it be OK in alkaline sandy mix?

Oh, dear, sorry!

Mm
TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 18, 2008
5:31 PM

Post #4969115

Wow, lots of questions and comments! Glad to see so much interest in this fab grass. Hope I can help...

Use a BIG pot for container-growing of lemongrass. It grows fast and gets big!

I'm not familiar with how guinea grass grows, but Lemongrass grows in "clumps" - you can easily see the different bulb-like clusters at the base of a whole plant.

Mine grows quite large throughout the summer. To harvesting a clump from a potted plant, drive a sharp knife downward right where the clumps separate - this shouldn't hurt the plant as long as you don't cut into the remaining clump.

In my experience, lemongrass does ok in alkaline soil, although ours is clay - it would probably do even better in sandier soil.

Theoretically, lots of nitrogen (like in manure) is good for grasses, so sure, a 50-50 mix would most likely work well.

KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

May 18, 2008
7:06 PM

Post #4969410

Thanks! I do have a couple of BIG pots that the one-gallons are sitting in now. I'll get busy and get them planted - or try one in a pot and one in the ground. Hmmm...
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

May 18, 2008
10:40 PM

Post #4970308

Oh, gee, now I gotta go find one of those Rasta guys that sell de lemon grass mon...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Love for Lemongrass Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lemon grass GEORGIASWAN 0 May 19, 2008 12:38 PM
Lemon grass DriftingDude 0 May 20, 2008 9:14 AM
Lemon grass harperart 1 Jun 6, 2008 3:06 PM
Lemon Grass developing Seeds Pottager 7 Feb 18, 2012 10:45 AM
Glad To See Daves Garden Lasts so long!! vlkno 3 Apr 23, 2010 12:51 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America