Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Love for Lemongrass: Great information!

Communities > Forums > Article: Love for Lemongrass
bookmark
Forum: Article: Love for LemongrassReplies: 6, Views: 77
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

May 17, 2008
5:36 PM

Post #4964802

How timely can it get? I just rec'd two one-gallon lemongrass plants from a DGer. I would like to keep at least one in a pot on the deck. Any recommendations for that, Tamara? And potpourri! I'll have to look for a recipe. I don't like flowery scents in the house - lemon is perfect.

Thanks so much for the article.
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2008
10:49 PM

Post #4965923

Again, very timely. Our Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) farm just added lemongrass to their herb garden for the members' enjoyment.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

May 17, 2008
11:53 PM

Post #4966207

You said 'bulb'? Does lemon grass grow like guinea grass? I see it for sale sometimes, but what is offered is one measly 'stalk' of grass. Would it take long to grow harvestable stalks? Does harvesting a stalk kill the plant, or make it grow more? Would a 50-50 composted manure best suit the most growth? Will it be OK in alkaline sandy mix?

Oh, dear, sorry!

Mm
TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 18, 2008
5:31 PM

Post #4969115

Wow, lots of questions and comments! Glad to see so much interest in this fab grass. Hope I can help...

Use a BIG pot for container-growing of lemongrass. It grows fast and gets big!

I'm not familiar with how guinea grass grows, but Lemongrass grows in "clumps" - you can easily see the different bulb-like clusters at the base of a whole plant.

Mine grows quite large throughout the summer. To harvesting a clump from a potted plant, drive a sharp knife downward right where the clumps separate - this shouldn't hurt the plant as long as you don't cut into the remaining clump.

In my experience, lemongrass does ok in alkaline soil, although ours is clay - it would probably do even better in sandier soil.

Theoretically, lots of nitrogen (like in manure) is good for grasses, so sure, a 50-50 mix would most likely work well.

KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

May 18, 2008
7:06 PM

Post #4969410

Thanks! I do have a couple of BIG pots that the one-gallons are sitting in now. I'll get busy and get them planted - or try one in a pot and one in the ground. Hmmm...
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

May 18, 2008
10:40 PM

Post #4970308

Oh, gee, now I gotta go find one of those Rasta guys that sell de lemon grass mon...
nstamenov
Corinth, TX

July 17, 2014
11:41 PM

Post #9896418

Do you know of anywhere in the area that sells Lemongrass plants? Or seeds/bulbs? Or do I need to order online?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Love for Lemongrass Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lemon grass GEORGIASWAN 0 May 19, 2008 12:38 PM
Lemon grass DriftingDude 0 May 20, 2008 9:14 AM
Lemon grass harperart 1 Jun 6, 2008 3:06 PM
Lemon Grass developing Seeds Pottager 7 Feb 18, 2012 10:45 AM
Glad To See Daves Garden Lasts so long!! vlkno 3 Apr 23, 2010 12:51 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America