Photo by Melody

Article: Mason Bees for Pollinating Your Fruit Trees: carpenter bees

Communities > Forums > Article: Mason Bees for Pollinating Your Fruit Trees
bookmark
Forum: Article: Mason Bees for Pollinating Your Fruit TreesReplies: 4, Views: 76
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
3gardeners
Mableton, GA
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2008
4:15 AM

Post #4967276

Hey. Are these the same as the carpenter bees here in GA? Ours look like bumble bees and are actually a type of fly. They get by on their looks! Anyway, I have about 30 holes in my new pergola and I'd love to find a way to divert their digging.
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 18, 2008
4:20 AM

Post #4967292

Nope, these are different bees altogether. They can't make their own nesting holes, they only nest in holes that they find.

They would love to nest in your pergola, though, and they are very good pollinators!
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2008
1:59 PM

Post #4973220

I have Mason Bees. I thought I lost them the second year. The following year or three years later I found them nesting by choice in my hiding places in cedar shakes. Apparently they liked the wood home over the tubes provided by the seller.

I gave up keeping honey bees with all of their present problems and concerns.
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 19, 2008
2:52 PM

Post #4973428

Whereas all kinds of creatures love the tubes on my shed! They are mostly filled up by now.

I saw what definitely seemed to be a real orchard mason bee in one of my tubes last week - perhaps a wild one.
wormfood
Lecanto, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 19, 2008
7:35 PM

Post #4974639

I have one, I believe it's the same one that comes back every year. When I couldn't kill it, because of fear, I looked it up and found out it's a solitary bee that does not attack and does not bore their own holes. So that was cool and I named her Lucille. She gets confused when I move a hanging plant but finds her wood beam with-in the minute. Sometimes she stops in front of my face to check me out. But goes about her business as soon as she sees I'm not a threat. Or maybe she's trying to tell me something. I'm definately building the 4x4.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Mason Bees for Pollinating Your Fruit Trees Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fascinating! kniphofia 1 May 18, 2008 2:46 PM
Great article! doccat5 2 May 18, 2008 7:12 PM
Protecting pollinators critterologist 2 May 18, 2008 5:09 PM
Loved it! darius 4 May 20, 2008 5:54 AM
GENTLE MASON BEES docgipe 3 May 20, 2008 12:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America