Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Antiques and Collectibles: Old Stone Trough

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 75, Views: 1,242
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 18, 2008
5:56 PM

Post #4969192

Don't get distracted by the orange thing! I've seen this trough for as long as I can remember, lying near our front gate. We used to sit on it often [children were playing out on the footpaths and they relaxed on it, conveniently]. I also remember this trough being filled with water for the cows to quench their thirst for some time. But we discontinued filling as some passing young rascals used to add mud and dirt to the water, much to our dismay. It was lying dry for many years. Now that I have brought it to my garden from there [the other house I mentioned in another thread], I plan to fill it with water and put a water lily in it. It may take some time as the house is under renovation and so will be my garden [another story].

This trough is roughly 4x2x1 1/2 ft. I must describe how this heavy object was brought. We engaged a bullock cart with a wooden platform. The bullock was unharnessed and the platform's rear was touching the ground at an angle. The trough, with the help of 3 people had been pushed and placed on its shorter side. The platform was now placed beside it. He had tied a rope in such a way that the trough would not slide back and fall. Now it needed 5 people - neighbours helped - to pull the cart down by holding the front with great effort, at the same time, it was done, 2 people pushed the trough into the cart's platform with all their might. It was lifted up and when the platform was horizontal, we stopped pulling the front. The cart driver precisely placed it where the bullock did not feel the weight by fine tuning. Then it made a journey of half a mile to my house. I had decided where to place it. So the cart entered - where the orange vessel is seen - and I told him precisely where I wanted. He adjusted the angle of the cart to suit my wish and finally unharnessed the bullock, then lifted the cart up so that the trough slid and fell 'thud' on its bottom, while he pulled the cart forward. It was an interesting circus. This now lies inside our front gate.

It has a name engraved on it. "Thangachammal" a lady's name. The house there is more than 100 years old [most likely] which my grandfather had bought in 1950. There was a cow shed [which was rented to families once there were no more cattle]. That indicates its origin there. Probably, it belonged to an ancestor of the person [another lady who sold that house to my grandfather]. About that cow shed's inhabitants -- very interesting. In 58 years, about 6-7 tenants have lived in it. 5 of them have gone on to build their own houses later! Such is the fact of the place!

http://www.english-garden-antiques.co.uk/stonetroughs.html Shallabella gave this link when I mentioned about this trough in another thread. I bring it up here. I found this very interesting and also discovered its antiquity! Will get a full picture of it later on.

Dinu

Thumbnail by Dinu
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2008
6:15 PM

Post #4969263

What a wonderful piece of antiquity to add to your new garden. Your thoughts of water lilies in it sounds very calm and beautiful. Moving it sounds like it was a show worth watching!
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2008
6:19 PM

Post #4969282

Is it Lime Stone ? Or Sand Stone? Paul

This message was edited May 18, 2008 2:20 PM

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 19, 2008
6:17 AM

Post #4972284

Sorry, in the excitement, I forgot to mention 'granite'.
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 19, 2008
11:44 AM

Post #4972697

thanks
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 19, 2008
3:21 PM

Post #4973575

That is one beautiful old trough. : ) I know you will fix it up real nice. No wonder it was so heavy, granite isn't light at all, not even a small piece.

I hope everything works out for you, and your family. I'll keep you in my prayers, all the way over here. Can't wait to see the full picture of the trough. : )
~Lucy
shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 19, 2008
4:31 PM

Post #4973940

Dinu , I'm not an expert, however I have researched these things for a long time because I love them! Now that I know it's granite, I can tell you that it's approximate retail value in USD is about 5-6,000
http://www.rhodes.org/Customer_pages/ext_files/troughs.pdf
I have never seen one with a name ingraved into it for sale. That I am sure would add value.

If you have any more of those things laying around would you send me one?...LOL! I promise to feed and house the bullock cart drivers very well.
Seriously you are the big winner here, both for it's value and it's beauty.

If I were you I would keep my eyes open for more antique garden things.
Old antique planters ,urns ,garden signs,fountains, and birdbaths, whether carved of stone, made of concrete or lead sell for big bucks! If they are worn or have chipped layers of paint, they are even more desirable.
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2008
5:46 PM

Post #4974281

I see you keep using the word engraved. If it is that old how can it be engraved. Wouldnt it have to be like done with a tool by hand. I just think of engraved being done by machine.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 19, 2008
5:56 PM

Post #4974319

I'd still say, engraving! It is the work done either by man or machine! If there is an apt word, do let me know. I am open for correction.
shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 19, 2008
5:58 PM

Post #4974329

Here is a definition of engraved http://www.thefreedictionary.com/engrave
One could also say carved or chisled or cut I suppose.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 20, 2008
2:43 AM

Post #4976633

Shallabella,
Thanks for the link on troughs and also the dictionary [I'd now stand by 'engrave']. Quite informative! I never thought even these things were on sale elsewhere! That means there are buyers. When I come over there, I'll bring one trough for you!! And I'll bring some water from here too. I don't see much of these objects in our garden. This was the only one and another cement container - which I'm going to bring. I want to create a bird bath and some other good thing now, once I settle to the new activity.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 25, 2008
4:50 PM

Post #5001099

As some masonry work is in progress, such mess is unavoidable - part and parcel of it, in fact. Here is the trough, the workers have found it perfectly fitting to fill it with empty cement bags. It will be placed more or less there itself but properly once the work gets over. Will think of planting the lily or even a lotus seed that a good friend here on DG has sent me. I wonder if this small size suits it.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

November 27, 2008
4:27 PM

Post #5835879

Finally, 4 days ago, water was filled after I blocked up the drainage hole with cement and plants put in to begin with. The trough was moved with the help of workers a couple of feet.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 27, 2008
5:10 PM

Post #5835988

Your trough is wonderful and as a water feature it adds a wonderful feeling of tranquillity and permanence to the space. How is the rest of your move working out for you?

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

November 28, 2008
4:10 AM

Post #5837266

Well and slowly. Taking its time. Now the house is getting a fresh coat of paint [have posted a pic in the prayers forum thread]. Will have to add more in my webshots album.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

November 28, 2008
4:27 PM

Post #5838160

This is the view as I stand facing the gate [will have a new, bigger one soon]. Have kept the trough near the gate.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 28, 2008
4:51 PM

Post #5838206

It seems that you are putting in lots of work and many improvements. It is fun to view your progress.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

November 29, 2008
3:55 PM

Post #5840587

Talk about 'lots of work'? You cannot be wrong, even if many things are being helped out by the mason and workers.
Terri1948
Yorkshire

November 30, 2008
9:00 AM

Post #5843377

Dinu, your trough is looking beautiful with the water and plants. Now if you could also add some small fishes it would be perfect, LOL
Did you also plant the lotus seed you mentioned?
I would love to have such a trough in my own garden.

Terri

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

November 30, 2008
2:01 PM

Post #5843705

Terri,
I've put the small fish into it already - just 3 of them. I haven't yet planted the lotus seeds. Will have to look for how to plant them. The sender of those seeds will have to be reminded as she had told me some months back that she would let me know. Now is the time to receive instructions. My new pond also is now being dug up. Pictures follow soon in the other thread.

That stone trough is available on eBay I think. LQQk for the link in the above posts.

Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

December 28, 2008
3:33 PM

Post #5935797

The construction dust had spoiled the water. There was severe algae. Then there were hundreds of tadpoles that had damaged the young leaves of water lily. So I had to remove all those tadpoles [felt sorry but it became inevitable], cleaned the trough and refilled with fresh water again.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

December 28, 2008
3:35 PM

Post #5935803

This is how the trough was again shifted a bit for a better look. I've also now added a row of plants beside it.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Terri1948
Yorkshire

December 29, 2008
1:20 PM

Post #5938999

That's looking really nice now Dinu and will look splendid once your plants begin to grow a bit.
It's obvious you've been very busy and it's looking good.
What kind of tadpoles were they? It will soon be tadpole time over here in UK too, unless the weather is very cold. Last year was mild and the frogs were spawning very early in March. That's never a good idea because we often get severe frosts up until May.
Keep taking pics of the trough as the plants grow, please, Dinu. It's so interesting to see the progress.

Terri

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

December 29, 2008
3:17 PM

Post #5939380

Thanks Terri. I will post the progress. Those paving stones were laid by the labourers under my guidance. That is the view standing at the front door. I'll surely have algae growth in the trough and I foresee a nuisance. It gets full sun for a major part of the daytime because the Almond tree branches have been trimmed. There is so much algae all along the stalk of the leaf, under the leaf, on the roots of this young water lily plant. Should I put in an older plant now?

Terri1948
Yorkshire

December 29, 2008
6:17 PM

Post #5940113

Dinu, I would be inclined to put more plants in because it's the sunlight that causes algae. If you can get some plants with larger leaves to shade the water that will work to some degree.
Having said that, I have a tub that I grow water-lilies in and I always get a small amount of blanket weed in there despite the amount of shade from the lily leaves.
I use a stick to remove it when it becomes a nuisance.

Terri

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

December 30, 2008
9:29 AM

Post #5942790

Terri,
Thanks for the useful suggestion. I'll borrow a pink water lily that is at my friend's pond. I think that will do for the time being. If not, I'll put a shade net over it till the one in there gets old enough.
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2008
7:07 PM

Post #5948266

Looks like a great job done. Dinu be proud!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

January 1, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #5949603

Thanks schickenlady. Happy New year to you all.
Terri1948
Yorkshire

January 1, 2009
7:47 AM

Post #5950761

Happy New Year Dinu!!

Terri
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

January 10, 2009
6:34 PM

Post #5989492

I've been following your posts with great interest.I had a problem with algae.I now use barley pellets in my .pond.They come in a mesh bag and are very effective in getting rid of algae.I put it in and the pond is clear for the summer.JOY

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

January 11, 2009
2:51 PM

Post #5992126

Oh, that's interesting, agedgardener. Can you post a pic of it so that I can take a look?
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

January 11, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #5992649

Sorry Denu but I don't have a picture and at the moment my pond is covered with snow with a open area of water,The squirrels and birds use it as their watering hole. The bag is the size of a soccer ball.JOY
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 11, 2009
8:11 PM

Post #5993242

[quote]Correct pond problems the natural way by using Microbe-Lift Barley Straw Pellets Plus. As the barley pellets are exposed to water, natural bacteria will begin to grow. Once barley begins to decompose, additional microbial growth is activated and released into the water. These microbes limit and control algae growth. The pellets are enriched with peat and humic acid, which help soften water, reduce the harmful effects of phosphate, and control some alkalinity in your pond. These pellets can be used at any time of year, but an autumn treatment will save you problems in the spring. This bag can treat up to a 1000 gallon pond. Barley bacteria will outperform man made bacteria to keep your pond clean and clear. Use Microbe-Lift Barley Straw Pellets Plus to keep your pond clear and beautiful all season long. Made in the USA. [/quote]

The pellets are small and easy to use. If you do a google search you should be able to find out more about them and see if they are available in your area. I used them in my small pond before our last move and they really made a big difference by eleminatinf the string algae and making the water clear.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #5993906

My brother sat a bale of alfalfa hay in his pond-I guess it does the same thing only way messier than the barley pellets.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

January 12, 2009
4:53 AM

Post #5995067

Thanks. I can get paddy [rice] straw -- hay -- here. Can that be a substitute for barley straw? In that case, I can cut them into pieces and make a pellet by putting it in some bag or similar thing. Does this work?

Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 12, 2009
7:22 AM

Post #5995291

Dinu, I'm not certain but I don't think the rice straw would break down and furnish the same microbial effect as the barley. But you idea could be an interesting experiment.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2009
2:35 PM

Post #5995792

About 7-8 yrs ago, when I was still working in the Greenhouse at my HD, which also contained all the Pond materials, the barley thing in the ponds was sweeping across the "grape vine". I do remember hearing about it.
So it would seem it has been around for a while...

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

January 13, 2009
4:24 PM

Post #6000613

http://www.naturalsolutionsetc.com/BarleyAbout.htm
I found this interesting link about the straw.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

March 15, 2009
5:06 PM

Post #6270758

Yesterday, my dream came true. I wanted to see water lily flowers in this trough. There was one growing, a young plant, in my pond and I thought that was the right choice given the size to put it in there. Algae problem persists, but it should settle down in due course. I siphon out the extra 'debris' to control excessive deposition of algal matter and add water occasionally.

Thumbnail by Dinu

JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2009
6:46 PM

Post #6271182

Beautiful!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

March 16, 2009
2:24 AM

Post #6273367

This also has become a favourite spot for the toads to lay their eggs! They hop on to the edge, sit there, look here and there and take the plunge!
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 19, 2009
4:43 AM

Post #6288542

Beautiful blossom, peaceful water and toads. That is an award winning combination in any garden. It looks like things are coming together nicely in your new garden.
Terri1948
Yorkshire

March 20, 2009
8:22 AM

Post #6293618

Dinu, thank you for sharing your beautiful waterlily with us. It's exquisite, and such a pretty colour too. It looks very 'at home' in the trough.
Do try to get some pictures of your toads if you can, I would really love to see what the toads in your country look like.

It's looking good Dinu :)

Terri

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

March 20, 2009
1:23 PM

Post #6294273

That trough was lying here outside our old house from where it was moved [hope you all know the story] last year. It was just below the frame and my old shot has missed it out. I've marked an imaginary line to show where it is, but can't be seen - just out of frame. That is the street where we grew up entirely, till recently. You can see the pillar of the gate on the left. Now it has become more crowded. Not peaceful any longer -increasing activity of people and traffic. We used to play all sort of games on the centre of the road and whenever a rare cyclist passed, we used to make way for him. Good times!

I was always having a dream of using it properly. At that time, water was filled to quench the thirst of passing cows. It is a sacred animal and so we try to help it out with things like these.

Dinu

Thumbnail by Dinu

scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2009
7:23 PM

Post #6382949

guess what algea is needed for your lilly to be healthy so dont take all away removing some here and there is just what having a water feature is all about its part of the maintenance but if you get rid of all of it your lilly will die

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 9, 2009
5:50 AM

Post #6385373

Thanks scic... I'll not take away all the algae but only when it overgrows. I've personally seen the benefit of having it - it keeps the water clean. So does the hyacinth and water lettuce in my observation. What do you say? I have those in my pond and when they multiply, I'll bring a few into it.
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2009
2:29 AM

Post #6406670

not to many plants it is a small area it will look better with only a few small plants

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 16, 2009
4:54 PM

Post #6556372

A Myna comes regularly to quench its thirst. The pair of spotted dove also visits for the same purpose.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Terri1948
Yorkshire

May 16, 2009
5:51 PM

Post #6556573

Great photograph Dinu, nice to see your trough maturing and being put to such good use by the birds. Such a pretty place to come for a drink.
That lotus (?) flower would make a very nice 'macro' :))

Terri

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 17, 2009
4:08 AM

Post #6558597

Thanks Terri. I've taken lots of pictures of that water lily and now I forget to post. I'll add that in the Macro page.
shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 29, 2009
4:12 PM

Post #6614018

Hi Dinu
I have not been here on Dave's for quite awhile.
I wanted to stop in and say your trough looks wonderful!

Michelle:)

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

June 2, 2009
9:07 AM

Post #6629807

Glad to see you back Michelle. Thanks.
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2009
12:44 PM

Post #6630257

its funny how we are obsessed with having things supper clean my sister would drain her pond in the spring and clean out everything down to putting boiling water on the rocks before putting them back in the pond and every year her lillies would die off and no blooms that is for sure, when she told me what she had been doing and complaining something was wrong with her pond I almost died laughing and she got kinda huffy with me so I laughed more then I was nice enough to explain to her that a pond and OCD over clean does not work well together, went on to explain to not do that supper clean thing anymore and just clean the pump on a regular basis and remove only the heavy green slime and leave the rest alone, now she has such a beautifull pond with all kinds of flowers and dragon flies since they need water to lay the eggs and she also has frogs to eat the insects including the mosquito and their eggs also now the birds are in the water fall taking baths since she is not in the pond working at cleaning it every day lol

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

June 2, 2009
6:22 PM

Post #6631755

That was a lesson I learnt too from my friend here. His pond was fresh though it had algae. I was brushing the sides of the liner earlier. I'm not doing it with the trough. I've seen that the algae will sooner or later help the water remain clear and not when I replaced clean water frequently. A natural surrounding is a must.
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2009
1:11 AM

Post #6633450

that is what a pond is all about its suppose to be a natural invironment

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

June 3, 2009
12:09 PM

Post #6635149

Yes, we are also part of Nature and so are the plants and beings. The beings know how to survive when not interfered. We put in the hurdles. Take for example, humans getting treated for simple fevers, colds, cough, diarrhoea, etc. The body knows how to fight them out and we put in hurdles through medication that suppresses those manifestations through symptoms that are indication that the body is being protected! I'll not go into much detail here. The body and beings are such things of beauty!
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2009
12:40 PM

Post #6635265

I dont usually use anything except tissues when I get sick, I drink lots of fluids and get rest and that is it, I will get checked out by the doctor if its not gone in 10 days but it is rare that I am sick past five days, and I do the same with the kids, my 11 year old has been on antibotics only one time, my son is 22 and he has taken them twice, people dont realise that if they take them all the time they will stop working and then will need stronger stuff well at one point they will run out of options

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

June 3, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #6636286

Well, you are on the right path I must say!! That's the right way to handle. That'll only strengthen the 'resistance power' of the body. The more medicines go into the body, the weaker that 'resistance power' gets though the person may 'feel better' for a while [tiredness after that medication is a negative symptom]. I'm glad you are spot on! We are also organic living in an environment and the body automatically has mechanisms that adjusts itself. That is the reason why they say that one has to eat seasonal fruits and vegetables and not off season though it is preserved and manipulated to get available in off season.
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2009
5:16 PM

Post #6636599

in canada it would mean only eating six months out of the year hahahahah its hard to do that in my area since the winters are so long and so cold but we do grow a garden and I am very picky about what I serve, we eat lots of vegies and fruit and not much meat, we eat other protein so less animal fat which is good for the body try to not much sugar and I never use processed foods I cook everything at home so no frozen dinner at my house hahahahah

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

June 4, 2009
2:25 AM

Post #6639056

Wow, that's another set of positive habits. Yea, I know about the long winters there. You are living the right way.
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2009
12:33 AM

Post #6643211

trying to, I love to garden flowers vegies its all the same to me as long as it grows I plant it hahahahha

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 11, 2010
8:15 AM

Post #7783212

I must show you how beautifully the trough is doing now. The water lilies have settled in nicely. You know what I've done at the bottom? I have put in huge leaves of Almond tree and they act as shelter for the fish and slowly decomposing while providing nutrients to the roots which have spread along the bottom nicely as shown by the nice flowering above! There is algae, but I remove it easily periodically.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 11, 2010
8:16 AM

Post #7783216

Another shot. See the bottom and clear water. Some fish helps it.

Thumbnail by Dinu

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 13, 2010
7:28 PM

Post #7791369

Dinu, what a great find! It's beautful (as is the lily in it!) Thanks for sharing HOW you got it in your yard, it was the first question I was going to ask. I always see amazing heaby thing,s but know there's no way for me to get things home! :) Great find!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 13, 2010
10:50 PM

Post #7791589

MerryMary,
Please read the second para in my opening post -I've described 'how'. I could not photograph it because it was in the midst of a tense period and it was done when it was dark in the evening. I plugged the drain hole on its side before I filled it with water. I notice in our city esp. near old houses in old localities and in villages such stone troughs being used to feed water to cattle. They keep them outside their houses so that they are accessible to the animals.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2010
1:48 PM

Post #7792937

It is so beautiful!
zoneimpaired
Toronto, ON
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2010
2:32 PM

Post #7793031

I apologize for not reading all of the posts but did anyone ash if it might be a sarcophogus. I vacation in southern France and they are not uncommon there. Robb
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 14, 2010
3:19 PM

Post #7793148

Dinu, I should have clarified more. I meant I wondered how you moved it, and was happy to hear you explain just how. I saw your post in the other forum, and thought it was a beautiful addition to your garden. :)
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

May 15, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #7795969

Your trough look so settled as if it had always been there.I love your lotus.I just had one put in my pond today.It is pink too.Do you suppose it will bloom as well as your in our cold climate? JOY

Thumbnail by agedgardener

hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2010
4:54 PM

Post #8120865

Love that kind of stuff. It is so awesome. I love seeing people in other countries post here and see what gardening and hobbies are possible in those places, especially countries I know little about.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

September 26, 2010
2:45 AM

Post #8121419

The bottom of water in the trough is now very nice and spongy with roots and organic matter - there are a few little fish in it too + the snails that do the shredding work of spent leaves etc. Water is crystal clear, algae is not found in this season. It will return with the return of summer next year.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 26, 2010
2:13 PM

Post #8122233

Maybe then you can buy a plecostomus if they can live outside in your temps but indoor him in the Spring, winter and fall.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

September 28, 2010
2:18 AM

Post #8125275

My neighbour has a lotus in one or two containers and the old lady gave me a couple of roots. What do you think, should I plant the lotus with it in the spongy base?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 28, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #8126734

I love my lotus, even when they aren't blooming. Their big dinner plate sized leaves are so lush and tropical. I vote yes! :)
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2010
6:22 PM

Post #8126775

How do they do in the cold, like frozen water in the Winter?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2010
5:16 PM

Post #8128495

I dont get many freezing night temps...only a few a year. They DO go dormant, and the tubers sit at the bottom of the water under the muck. Here I have them in very large tubbies that are above ground. So the few short houred freezes we get a year are no problem for them. I know Brian Williams grows them in Kentucky, but his mom's are in the ground in a lotus bog. Above that (which is somewhere around a zone 6?) I don't know about...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America