Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Thinking Ahead 102: Planning Now for Fall Color & Winter Interest: Corylus avellana 'contorta'

Communities > Forums > Article: Thinking Ahead 102: Planning Now for Fall Color & Winter Interest
bookmark
Forum: Article: Thinking Ahead 102: Planning Now for Fall Color & Winter InterestReplies: 1, Views: 12
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jsmanycars
Rochester, MN

May 18, 2008
7:26 PM

Post #4969482

I planted two walking sticks last fall and they started to bud out this spring and we got frost. One plant has a few leaves higher up and one has leaves only on the stick. I was wondering if these plants will survive. We had a late spring this year in Minnesota. Thanks for any help.
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2008
4:35 PM

Post #4973954

Hi...
Walking Stick grows well in zones 4-8, but I'm not sure where Rochester is located.

However, I suspect the woody part of the shrub is fine even if the leaf buds froze. The plant is mainly grown for its gnarly branching habit, and as long as the trunk below the grafted portion of the plant doesn't begin to sprout, you should be okay.

Thanks for writing.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Thinking Ahead 102: Planning Now for Fall Color & Winter Interest Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great article! darius 3 Mar 13, 2008 12:40 PM
Fantastic! art_n_garden 0 Mar 12, 2008 1:44 AM
silvery sunproof liriope Lillirosa 2 Apr 13, 2009 3:14 PM
Burning bush pastapicker 1 Oct 15, 2012 2:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America