Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Antiques and Collectibles: Antique Parlour Chair

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 5, Views: 152
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
craftycritters
Riesel, TX

May 18, 2008
9:09 PM

Post #4969850

Can anyone tell me anything about this chair or where I might find information on it?

Thumbnail by craftycritters
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2008
4:36 AM

Post #5201745

I don't know but I'm bumping this thread because it is a beautiful piece...

Brenda
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 4, 2008
5:27 AM

Post #5201919

I don't know what the style is called on your settee but it is a lovely piece. Are there any markings under the seat that might give a clue to the manufacturer or date?
lorien4
Camarillo, CA

July 13, 2008
4:53 AM

Post #5250128

Your piece of furniture is a period revival style settee that was probably made sometime between circa 1910 and the early to mid 1920s ( a settee usually looks like two arm chairs joined together without a central arm). During this period a number of earlier furniture style were revived. Your settee would be called "Adam Revival" or Hepplewhite Revival, since its design was inspired by classical furniture styles of the late eighteenth century; from around the time of the American revolution. Both the Hepplewhite and Adam style were English furniture styles that were popular in America (While Americans overthrew English rule, they continued to imitate English furniture and architectural styles even after the revolution). Several features of your piece of furniture including its slender proportions, sabre style legs, and classical decorative motifs, such as the inlaid swags on the back (which appear to be made of wood and mother-of-pearl) would identify the chair as Adams revival. Adam refers to the Scottish Adam brothers who were extremely famous architects and designers in Great Britain during the last quarter of the eighteenth century.
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2008
5:11 PM

Post #5252051

Wow, lorien4, great information! Are you a dealer or just very well educated?

Brenda
lorien4
Camarillo, CA

July 19, 2008
6:27 PM

Post #5285943

Brenda; I work in the historic preservation field and over the years have I learned a bit about old furniture styles. I should have noted that the settee may date as early as the 1890s, but its hard to tell from a photograph. It looks like it has its original finish, which is always a plus. Usually refinishing diminishes the value of antique furniture.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America