Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: A House for the Heavenly Bluebird Nestbox Basics: pill bugs

Communities > Forums > Article: A House for the Heavenly Bluebird Nestbox Basics
bookmark
Forum: Article: A House for the Heavenly Bluebird Nestbox BasicsReplies: 1, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Orrdavis
Eliot, ME

May 19, 2008
3:08 PM

Post #4973505

What do we know about them?

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2008
3:21 AM

Post #4976779

Orrdavis,

Regarding pill bugs/sow bugs/woodlice http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/go/142/ and nestboxes, chances are that if you have them in the box then the box is not dry. Pillbugs are found in humid and dark conditions such as wood piles and compost heaps. They also feast on wood. If you have these in the house, then check the house for needed repairs. If you have a nest and/or babies currently, then add some grass to keep the nest dry or hypothermia might be problematic http://sialis.org/hypo.htm.

In relation to bluebird diets, I'm not sure that bluebirds would eat these normally since they are undercover. Members of the Bluebird Box have cited collecting these and using as an emergency food source, though there is also some chatter that this bug might carry a parasite harmful to fledglings. Best to stick with mealworms!!

I hope this answers your question.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: A House for the Heavenly Bluebird Nestbox Basics Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice article GranvilleSouth 10 Mar 1, 2010 1:25 PM
BLUEBIRDS docgipe 23 Mar 3, 2010 11:59 PM
Wasps in Bird Houses TeeAnny 2 May 24, 2008 3:02 AM
Bluebirds fotofashion 2 Mar 2, 2010 5:11 AM
Eastern Bluebirds digger114 0 Mar 1, 2010 6:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America